The Rickie Fowler Thread

What a year. No wins, but still, what a great freaking year for the kid.

It's not even over really.

What if Rickie gets to the FedEx and puts together a run? That would be fun to watch.

I was really pulling for Rory in this one because I want to see someone that might be able to go after Jack's major count... but I would love to see Rickie win one if not two of the playoff tournaments or even the tour championship.

Very entertaining to watch him, Phil, and Rory battle it out today. Exciting and the best part was they werent talking about freakin Tiger every other sentence. Rickie has got game and I think he will continue to improve. He has become one of the guys on my "young guns" list to follow. Wished he would have won today but what a great year for him. Well done.

Sent from my Motorola Electrify using Tapatalk 2

I'll say this and it's not a bash. I'd like to see hi with a bit more fire in the belly. He stayed even all day and I think that shot on 16 was a safe shot that left on an unrealistic par save. That shot over the trees from 15 was amazing, I'd like to see more of that down the stretch. I think it'll help him get across the finish line with a win.

Was hoping he would have won today but I like the direction he is heading. I think his time will come very soon and gphe will probably win 2 or 3 majors, I'm guessing he will get a British and U.S Open and maybe one other.

I'm loving Rickie's game right now, but I'm starting to wonder if he's going to be this generations Phil to Rory being this generations Tiger.

I've been a fan of Rickie's for a while now, but I just became a huge fan. Seeing he and Phil go back and forth all day with fist bumps and what not, that's just freaking awesome. That's great golf without having to be a dbag about it. Class act all the way, just see his twitter.

Shot on 15 was awesome. Rickie has played great this year and I think a major win will come for him soon. This was definitely a building year for him and if he keeps on this road I could see multiple wins for him next year.

I really like what I see from him in terms of maturity and class. I had no rooting interest today, other than seeing great golf, but hated to see him drop a couple strokes there late.

He'll have his day and win a couple big ones if he stays on the track he's on.

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk

I get a feeling the Ryder Cup might end up being Rickie's redemption for all the close calls in the Majors this year. Hopefully it is in the context of an upset win for the US.

He is quickly becoming one of the best out there. His willingness to go to Butch and say have at it says a lot. He really is committed to becoming great. Just wish he'd lose that hat.

I am excited about his Ryder Cup. This year he is proving to be a gamer at the biggest stage. I think he could this team's Dufner who was great two years ago. Rickie and Phil seem like they would make a really good team and could put a hurting on anybody.

I'm loving Rickie's game right now, but I'm starting to wonder if he's going to be this generations Phil to Rory being this generations Tiger.

So what if he is, Phil's career is stellar. Not attacking just stating facts. Everyone has a role to play. Rory appears to be the dominator at this time and Rickie the guy that's going to give use great drama plus win his share

So what if he is, Phil's career is stellar. Not attacking just stating facts. Everyone has a role to play. Rory appears to be the dominator at this time and Rickie the guy that's going to give use great drama plus win his share
I didn't really mean it in a negative way. Phil's career is incredible, but just imagine what it would have been had Tiger not been so dominant, I'm sure he would have been #1 in the World, and I'm pretty sure he would have gotten that Grand Slam by now.

I'll say this and it's not a bash. I'd like to see hi with a bit more fire in the belly. He stayed even all day and I think that shot on 16 was a safe shot that left on an unrealistic par save. That shot over the trees from 15 was amazing, I'd like to see more of that down the stretch. I think it'll help him get across the finish line with a win.

Interesting take Freddie - I see it a bit different in some ways. In the past, he would be fairly close and try to fire at a lot of unrealistic pins, hit bad shots and fade away. ( I think at one point a few years back he led the PGA in double bogeys or more - may be wrong about that ) I think we don't see that nearly as much now, and he is staying in contention much longer. I do think his swing is better now, but his course management, to me, has improved nearly as much. But I agree, there are times when you need to be more aggressive. I think he will learn to marry the two, especially as he learns to trust these swing changes more and more, and be a better golfer for it.

I'll recant saying that he needed a win to push this year from good to great. He has had a great year and performed on some of the biggest stages

Every major this year has changed my opinion on his game. Dude will put it all together soon and the wins will follow.

I think he won over a ton of fans this weekend. I liked him before, but really admired the way he played and the focus & grace he showed under pressure. The way he joked with Kessler on the 16th after he hit the hook shot to recover ("Bet you didn't know this was a dogleg left hole, huh?"). Very clutch.

This major was so satisfying for me to watch mainly because Rickie & Phil kept up the pressure the whole way through. I know it's gotta be disappointing to not win, but I look at it as they didn't lose, Rory just won. There was no collapse for either of them down the stretch, and one or two strokes made the difference. What a great way to end the major season, & Rickie can hopefully build from these consistent showings.

I think he won over a ton of fans this weekend. I liked him before, but really admired the way he played and the focus & grace he showed under pressure. The way he joked with Kessler on the 16th after he hit the hook shot to recover ("Bet you didn't know this was a dogleg left hole, huh?"). Very clutch.

This major was so satisfying for me to watch mainly because Rickie & Phil kept up the pressure the whole way through. I know it's gotta be disappointing to not win, but I look at it as they didn't lose, Rory just won. There was no collapse for either of them down the stretch, and one or two strokes made the difference. What a great way to end the major season, & Rickie can hopefully build from these consistent showings.

"I know it's gotta be disappointing to not win, but I look at it as they didn't lose, Rory just won"

Funny grins - that is exactly what I said to my wife. I told her, IMO, it's always better to watch someone win the match rather than someone lose it. I actually thought she may ask me what I meant by that, but to my surprise she agreed totally.

I've never really liked or disliked Rickie, but after this weekend seeing how he composed himself yesterday and his interview afterwards, he won me over as fan. It is clear he isn't just focused on his style any more, this dude is a serious golfer and he doesn't just want to be known as the Puma guy any more. He is a very respectable dude and I hope he breaks through with a major next year, he keeps getting so close!

I get a feeling the Ryder Cup might end up being Rickie's redemption for all the close calls in the Majors this year. Hopefully it is in the context of an upset win for the US.

His comment in the press conference about Rory, "maybe I'll be able to get one back from him soon" had me thinking he absolutely means the Ryder Cup.

I know in that moment so soon after a major it may not be on his mind yet. But I have to think that is what he meant. I mean April and the Masters is so far away.

This weekend proved a lot to me about what Rickie is about from a competitor perspective. Until now he has been the young American on tour with all the flash and color, but no substance from a golf game perspective. The majors this year & even more the PGA showed he can play golf and play golf with the best in the world. Butch has him on the right track & it's only a matter of time before he breaks through and wins a major. When that happens I think the confidence will lead to more majors.

One thing I hate is the media being lazy and saying "can he be the next Tiger". What Tiger did was unprecedented and will never be duplicated. How about you do your job and get to know Rickie (or Rory for that matter) and start building that narrative of who he is, rather than comparing him to one if not "the" all time great golfers. I know in sports that is human nature because the best is the measuring stick in terms of comparison, but let's give these young guys some room & let them tell their own story. He is one hell of a golfer and showed down the stretch in the majors he can keep his cool, drain puts & recover from wayward shots. Let's give him some credit and let him stand on his own because yesterday he earned that right IMO.

There are a couple of things that always genuinely irked me about Rickie.

1 - The orange drove me crazy, but when I realized it was a tie in to his college of choice, I have to respect it. I've got a flag flying outside my house from my University, why can't this guy show his pride in his own way?
2 - The hair was ridiculous. Obviously a phase, and I am so glad to see him step out of it this year. Just kind of looked silly with,
3 - The hats. Too big, ears tucked in, and flat at the front. At this point, now that his ears are tucked in, is find a hat that better fits his head.

4 - (an actual reason) because he disappeared a lot. Like a sports team, you need someone on course who can go the distance without disappearing on Sunday -- It's tough to support or build that 'fan' feeling with a golfer when they aren't there to cheer for in the nail biting moments.

Fowler has shown this year a hell of a lot of maturity, and the ability to compete on the biggest stage. I'm officially a fan.

i think he's left a little bit of his youth behind and has obviously started to put more focus on his game, and it's paying off.
i hope that he realizes if he continues to compete that him and Rory can do more for the sport, than they already have. he's done his job at being the colorful, young, crazy kid and not only brought some fun back into the game, post-Tiger dominance era, but he's also brought youth into the events and got them to start playing the game earlier as well.
now that he's achieved that, he can start showing everyone that he can play as well. like Dan said, he's finally sticking around on Sunday...no longer leaving his young fans to wonder where he is come late weekend. the guy holds like every record back in his home course area...it's about damn time he starts making golf his #1 priority.

2 - The hair was ridiculous. Obviously a phase, and I am so glad to see him step out of it this year. Just kind of looked silly with,

Count me in as a new fan too - never connected with him, but he's proven himself this year.

Funny, I have a sneaking suspicion that it is no coinscidence that about the time he began getting coached by Butch Harmon, he cut his hair.

I could just hear their first meeting in Butch's grandfatherly but firm voice ... " Ricky, I look forward to coaching you, I think I can help you and we will make great strides together, and when I see you tomorrow, I expect to see a tight hair cut."

I have turned and like Rickie a lot more now, not that I didn't like him but wasn't much of a fan and yes the hat and ears were part of that (I know it's shallow). I really want to see him get his next year and can't wait to see what the Ryder Cup brings for him. This year with Butch has been eye opening. Guy is owning his swing.

1 - The orange drove me crazy, but when I realized it was a tie in to his college of choice, I have to respect it. I've got a flag flying outside my house from my University, why can't this guy show his pride in his own way?
3 - The hats. Too big, ears tucked in, and flat at the front. At this point, now that his ears are tucked in, is find a hat that better fits his head.

4 - (an actual reason) because he disappeared a lot. Like a sports team, you need someone on course who can go the distance without disappearing on Sunday -- It's tough to support or build that 'fan' feeling with a golfer when they aren't there to cheer for in the nail biting moments.

Fowler has shown this year a hell of a lot of maturity, and the ability to compete on the biggest stage. I'm officially a fan.

I'm a Rickie fan now. He's been in the running all year. The big thing will be to see if he can maintain this throughout the rest of this season and all of next. I see a lot of sergio's situation with Tiger here with Rickie and Rory.

Back