The THP Range/Practice Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I recognize that problem Brad. Exact same thing I'm working on fixing. Too big a backswing, and early hip rotation on the downswing leading to an over-the-top move and an out-to-in club path.
[/COLOR][/LEFT]

It always happens at the beginning of my sessions. I almost always have to step back and settle down. Definitely a work in progress. But I am really hitting the ball much better than I was this past season.

So I'm trying to figure out what is my better option. The course like 5 minutes from house at the most offers an unlimited Range pass for 250/Year. They have your normal range rocks, 3 target "greens" (100,150,200), and 60 yard long short game area, one large putting green with several hole locations and moderate amount of slope and elevation change. One "perk" of being pass holder is that you get access to the really nice bent grass tee that is off to the side of the standard tee and I rarely see anyone on it. One thing I can do there is go and just work on short game or putting with no fuss and they don't me about it because I do play there fairly often. Which is nice for before or short after work sessions. Downsides are no bunkers to practice from, limited targets, range is short, 240 to the trees from the front of the tee box and the tee box is elevated aobut 20- 30 feet above the landing areas.

There are other range options, I have to choose from. There is a golf academy about a 25 minute drive away from me that has a pretty large grass area, 2 grass chipping and pitching areas, 1 putting green, 2 practice bunkers, I think they may have a wedge range on site as well but I'm not sure. From what I have seen, they have 3 or 4 target greens and a few target posts as well. They also have a Par-3 course on site as well. I haven't been there, so I don't know what the balls are, but I would assume they maybe one step up from range rocks. Down side is the drive over there because there isnt a good, direct way to get there and they don't list an unlimited range membership on their site that they offer than as option.

The other option is a really nice golf club about a 25-30 minute drive away. It has the largest grass teeing area in the state, very nice practice green, I think a pretty nice short game practice area, and Pete Dye designed Par-3 course. The whole place was designed by Tom Fasio and is run by Ted Bishop the Pres of the PGA of America. But they don't list a range membership either, and really doubt they have one.

My main driving force behind a range membership is that I hate paying per bucket, its just upsets me for some reason. I hate paying 9 bucks for 80 something balls, working my way up and down my bag and then being done. I feel like if I'm not striking a club as crisp as I like that I don't have enough balls in the bucket to work on it so i can spend time on everything. So I just don't go. And I felt like as the season get deeper that my ball striking got worse not better like it did the year before when I was going to the range to a regular basis. I just need a facility that I can work on every part of my game and that gives me the areas to do that. Out of those options listed which would you all go with?

So I'm trying to figure out what is my better option. The course like 5 minutes from house at the most offers an unlimited Range pass for 250/Year. They have your normal range rocks, 3 target "greens" (100,150,200), and 60 yard long short game area, one large putting green with several hole locations and moderate amount of slope and elevation change. One "perk" of being pass holder is that you get access to the really nice bent grass tee that is off to the side of the standard tee and I rarely see anyone on it. One thing I can do there is go and just work on short game or putting with no fuss and they don't me about it because I do play there fairly often. Which is nice for before or short after work sessions. Downsides are no bunkers to practice from, limited targets, range is short, 240 to the trees from the front of the tee box and the tee box is elevated aobut 20- 30 feet above the landing areas.

There are other range options, I have to choose from. There is a golf academy about a 25 minute drive away from me that has a pretty large grass area, 2 grass chipping and pitching areas, 1 putting green, 2 practice bunkers, I think they may have a wedge range on site as well but I'm not sure. From what I have seen, they have 3 or 4 target greens and a few target posts as well. They also have a Par-3 course on site as well. I haven't been there, so I don't know what the balls are, but I would assume they maybe one step up from range rocks. Down side is the drive over there because there isnt a good, direct way to get there and they don't list an unlimited range membership on their site that they offer than as option.

The other option is a really nice golf club about a 25-30 minute drive away. It has the largest grass teeing area in the state, very nice practice green, I think a pretty nice short game practice area, and Pete Dye designed Par-3 course. The whole place was designed by Tom Fasio and is run by Ted Bishop the Pres of the PGA of America. But they don't list a range membership either, and really doubt they have one.

My main driving force behind a range membership is that I hate paying per bucket, its just upsets me for some reason. I hate paying 9 bucks for 80 something balls, working my way up and down my bag and then being done. I feel like if I'm not striking a club as crisp as I like that I don't have enough balls in the bucket to work on it so i can spend time on everything. So I just don't go. And I felt like as the season get deeper that my ball striking got worse not better like it did the year before when I was going to the range to a regular basis. I just need a facility that I can work on every part of my game and that gives me the areas to do that. Out of those options listed which would you all go with?

If it were all doable, I'd go with Mr. Bishop's place. A full course vs just a driving range gives you a few more options. Odds are the full course would be in better shape as well. All else fails though, 250 for a range pass for a year isn't half bad. I wish there were courses down here that did that so I could give them reason to re-sod the tee.

If it were all doable, I'd go with Mr. Bishop's place. A full course vs just a driving range gives you a few more options. Odds are the full course would be in better shape as well. All else fails though, 250 for a range pass for a year isn't half bad. I wish there were courses down here that did that so I could give them reason to re-sod the tee.

But I'm not all that worried about the course aspect of it. But second place does give you a Par-3 option if you want to play some and see the results of your range work. This really just mainly for pure 6-7 hour long practice days. And his buckets cost more per but I will check it out to see if they offer that unlimited option though There are other courses near by as well that have decent practice areas that I'm going to look into as well that are like the last option.

But I'm not all that worried about the course aspect of it. But second place does give you a Par-3 option if you want to play some and see the results of your range work. This really just mainly for pure 6-7 hour long practice days. And his buckets cost more per but I will check it out to see if they offer that unlimited option though There are other courses near by as well that have decent practice areas that I'm going to look into as well that are like the last option.

It sounds like you really want the unlimited option, and the other 2 places that are further away from your home don't offer those. Even if the range is a little short, the range with the unlimited option is practically next to your home, I think that $250 for the unlimited option is a steal considering you're going to practice that much. I wish there was an unlimited option at the range that I go to up here, it's a bit ridiculous how far I have to drive to get to a decent range and how much I pay for balls there. For what it's worth, their best deal is 40 buckets for $240.

I agree with Ary. Having it nearby is a big plus. My practice area this year was pretty similar to that and really close. I used it quite a bit and it had a really positive impact on my game.

True, but if you're going to be spending the money you might as well have an extra perk if you can. I'll say one thing that made me wrinkle my nose was the length at the range. You'll be flying driver into it and that'd get old pretty quickly.

Like Ary and Hawk said the closeness to my house is biggest advantage for the first option. The unlimited is probably the most important thing to me, just because of the volume of balls I could hit and work on. I think the one thing that turns me off from the first option is a the lack of targets and bunkers. If they had post out at maybe 75, 125, 175, that I could hit I would like it better. The shortness I can sort of work around because I can hit corner to corner, but I have put several balls on the 15th fairway as it runs behind the range on the other side of the trees. That is sort of bummer because the landing area of that fairway is right behing the center of the range.

Thanks for the thoughts guys, its making me think about some stuff that I hadn't consider in terms of what someone else thinks is important, lets keep this going because I can't be the only one in this position..lol

I wasn't really impressed with the targets at my range. Probably the one thing I'd have changed about it. They didn't have a 100 yard marker, which I thought was ridiculous. The short game area is what I really enjoyed the most.

Playdough, I would go with the range five minutes away with unlimited balls. The price alone makes it worth it. The other thing is convenience! The hardest part about practicing for most people is finding time. Something this close would allow you to go on the way home from work, after lunch on weekends and just about any other time you get that craving to go hit balls.

Like Ary and Hawk said the closeness to my house is biggest advantage for the first option. The unlimited is probably the most important thing to me, just because of the volume of balls I could hit and work on. I think the one thing that turns me off from the first option is a the lack of targets and bunkers. If they had post out at maybe 75, 125, 175, that I could hit I would like it better. The shortness I can sort of work around because I can hit corner to corner, but I have put several balls on the 15th fairway as it runs behind the range on the other side of the trees. That is sort of bummer because the landing area of that fairway is right behing the center of the range.

Thanks for the thoughts guys, its making me think about some stuff that I hadn't consider in terms of what someone else thinks is important, lets keep this going because I can't be the only one in this position..lol

The last course I was a member at had a short game area 15yds, 50yds, and 90yds away. I spent more time there than on the actual driving range. It's pretty easy to grow some confidence in that shot when you have a place to practice it ad nauseum. A bunker to practice out of would be kinda important too. There are some cons to the unlimited place that are kinda glaring. You need the other place to get back to you in order to make this decision easier. Is the other range a lit range so you can go at 6:30-7:00 at night?

TFx, the time thing is what keeps bringing me back to the place by the house. And you do bring up a good point about hitting before or after work. As some days I do go in between 11 and noon.

MW, I finally poked around their site enough to find the range membership. $500 for unlimited balls, Par-3 and use of the indoor putting green. They do offer a range card for 130 for 25 large buckets, a savings of 70 bucks. A jumbo bucket 15 bucks. They do have lights, the one 5 minutes away does not. I feel like they are alittle over priced for this area for that. Granted the use of the Par-3 course is nice but I'm not sure how much I would really would use that.

TFx, the time thing is what keeps bringing me back to the place by the house. And you do bring up a good point about hitting before or after work. As some days I do go in between 11 and noon.

MW, I finally poked around their site enough to find the range membership. $500 for unlimited balls, Par-3 and use of the indoor putting green. They do offer a range card for 130 for 25 large buckets, a savings of 70 bucks. A jumbo bucket 15 bucks. They do have lights, the one 5 minutes away does not. I feel like they are alittle over priced for this area for that. Granted the use of the Par-3 course is nice but I'm not sure how much I would really would use that.

It stinks that the place 5 minutes away from you doesn't have lights. The range where I practice has lights and is open until 11 PM. It's a godsend for a night owl like me, I've closed that range down a few times hitting balls that late into the night.

Probably very little to be honest. Depending on your work and schedule, the lights may or may not be that important to you. Is it possible to go visit each and get a feel for each place?

Worked on the range for about 2 hours today. Used every club and spent extra time on wedge shots trying to dial in my distances. Played 5 holes afterwards and since the course was not busy, hit many balls around the greens. Practiced chipping with wedges and then a hybrid, chips out of thick bermuda with different lies, and made myself putt over and over again until I got it right, especially long putts. Long putts required three 2 putts until I could leave the green. I'm tired of 3 putting!

Nice job, Kelly!

I like all the short game and putting work. That was the turning point for me this summer it seemed. Make Bill give you a massage or something :D

I like all the short game and putting work. That was the turning point for me this summer it seemed. Make Bill give you a massage or something :D

I'm hitting the ball pretty good but my short game is killing me. Chipping is so different at our new course because of the way the grass catches the ball and the bent greens are so fast. It's like starting over for us. I am getting creative and thinking out of the box more now. I hope my practice pays off soon because I'm tired of these high scores.

I will tell Ole Gray you said he HAS to give me a massage tonight. :)

You'll figure it out. I know that I always am surprised at just how different bermuda greens are for me. Chip shots are a good example. I'll see check on shots that I'd never see it on with bent grass.

I'd say it took me a good three months to finally get comfortable on the greens at my club this year. They absolutely destroyed me there for awhile.

It figures my ball striking peaks when the golf season was ending is over. I'm working in the bay on keeping tees under my arms from dropping to keep my swing tight.

I could use some putting drills for indoors over the off season. I'm trying to lower my index enough to enter into the state Am, need a 5.7 I believe.

Brad,
Just watched your video, the 2nd swing looked GOOD! Keep it up man

It stinks that the place 5 minutes away from you doesn't have lights. The range where I practice has lights and is open until 11 PM. It's a godsend for a night owl like me, I've closed that range down a few times hitting balls that late into the night.

Probably very little to be honest. Depending on your work and schedule, the lights may or may not be that important to you. Is it possible to go visit each and get a feel for each place?

Yeah, I'm a night person myself, but then again the the g/f is home by that point so that part is a little moot.

I'm not sure M, there is a part of me that thinks I would use the heck out of it as thats a great way to dial in everything from the 7 iron down in game-like situations. I do have the ablity to get to both. The one by my house, I know what I'm getting there. The one with the Par-3 I don't know what I'm getting. Another thing I have to consider, that my range time only really runs from Mid march to Mid-Nov. So something else to consider as well.

I am working on a similar thing like brad and wade. Getting into the right path with the down swing and trying to unlearn the over the top move.

I had a really good range session today. I want in with a plan to practice just a few clubs and exaggerate the correct downswing. I stayed with my plan and felt pretty good by the end.

Did some putting work tonight too.

I am working on a similar thing like brad and wade. Getting into the right path with the down swing and trying to unlearn the over the top move.

I had a really good range session today. I want in with a plan to practice just a few clubs and exaggerate the correct downswing. I stayed with my plan and felt pretty good by the end.

Did some putting work tonight too.

Just like we talked about the other day. It helps so much when you go in with a plan, and it really settles you down and doesn't allow you to get worked up as much I think. Just wait until July, gonna be awesome!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back