The THP Range/Practice Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I hit the range this AM before my round, then after with a few wedges and driver.

I have a new goal - I will work the remainder of this year to become deadly inside of 140 yds. I commit to practicing 9i thru LW, so I can throw darts with my scoring clubs. In December, I want to be able to shoot lights out with my wedges. Well, maybe not out of bunkers, but everywhere else.

You heard it here first.

Nice. Is that an open range where you collect your own balls? I used to love hitting a couple hundred balls then dropping the bag on one of the "greens" and trying to chip and pitch the balls that missed the green back onto the bag. We don't have any open areas like that any more. Just driving ranges. The great thing about open ranges was that generally only decent golfers would show up, so I didn't worry to much about getting hit if there was somebody else there hitting to another green. Which really wasn't that often anyway. Guess most people didn't like to spend 45 minutes to an hour collecting the balls they just hit. I loved it.

Actually no it's not. However during the week when I work a few hours I just fill up a 5 gallon bucket before I close up shop and bring that to a stall with me lol. Easier than just grabbing 2 or 3 large buckets.

I am lagging putts with good success (except for the 30 yard putt, yeah I shot it with my rangefinder, that went 6 feet past), but I am really struggling with the mid range putts again. Really irked by it, because it is stopping my scores from being really good right now.

Need to find some new drills to work on improving from the mid range distances.

Just back from 2.5 hours of Gauntlet prep.

Worked 90% on wedges & 9-iron. Worked on flighting wedges high, medium and low. Really solid session with excellent progress.

Hit the short game area while my foot heals. Spent around 2 hours practicing ,pleased with the results. I changed up my putting stance to more open and it seemed to help roll the ball better. I will keep trying this as it may work for my game

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

I spent an hour and half working on my short game today. I started at the range and hit shots to various target under 100yds, then moved over to the chipping green and worked on shots inside of 20yds and greenside. Finished up with 30 min putting session concentrating on putts 10ft and in.

Overall it was productive & I have a lot of work to do to get where I want to be, but I'm confident with the yardages and from different lies. I'm really happy where my putting is at and just have to keep up the consistency.

I had a very mediocre practice session last night. I was back to using my major swing flaw, which leads to an assortment of ugliness. It was frustrating to know - or think I know - what I was doing wrong but not be able to change it. The only bright spot was some signs of life with the Mini.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Practiced my tempo on the range today,had a decent session. My foot had it'd moments but it was overall pleasent

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

Played a practice round tonight and I'm glad I used it as a practice round. Got super hungry half way through and felt exhausted. Lost my swing after getting pars on the first couple holes and about the only thing I could do from then on were shots 100 and in. Full swings felt like a chore. Putted ok, kept scaring the hole a lot, but nothing would drop and just 2 putted everything. Snacks before the round from now on! haha

Spent about an hour on the range and 30 minutes on the putting green today. I continue to work on my path and swinging from the inside....it's a work in progress! Felt like I was striking the ball well though. The course cut the putting yesterday and it was rolling quick! Nice to be back on a fast green.

Man, the battle to shorten the swing is real, and it sucks. SO many ebbs and flows lately.

Still working on the shoulders and not the arms, its a work in progress, but when its clicking I'm legitimately finding 15-20 yards off the tee I thought were gone forever. Apparently, lag isn't overrated after all.

Man, the battle to shorten the swing is real, and it sucks. SO many ebbs and flows lately.

Still working on the shoulders and not the arms, its a work in progress, but when its clicking I'm legitimately finding 15-20 yards off the tee I thought were gone forever. Apparently, lag isn't overrated after all.
Stick with it. It will pay off in December.

Stick with it. It will pay off in December.

You know I will brother. I've never ever worked like this at my game, ever.

Its coming along, its been interesting breaking the old habits and trying to make myself realize that compact is powerful for me. It'll get there, I've got faith, and calluses.

You know I will brother. I've never ever worked like this at my game, ever.

Its coming along, its been interesting breaking the old habits and trying to make myself realize that compact is powerful for me. It'll get there, I've got faith, and calluses.
I hear Moises Alou has a sure fire way to deal with caluses... Haha Excited to see where this takes your game.

Had time tonight before my volleyball game, so I headed to a local course/range for some short work. Got to the range and worked on hitting chips from 30 or 40 yards out. Had two different pins, a front and back pin, giving me diifferent amount of green to work with. Started off pulling them a little bit, but got it going towards the end.

Towards the end moved greenside, chipping again to both pins.

4ee38a583854671c5bb9f8011a2bf9dd.jpg

Last edited:
Good practice tonight focusing on a one piece takeaway. I mixed up the order hitting driver halfway through the bucket and it was a huge difference. Ball striking was much better tonight. I finished the session with 9i fades and flop shots over a bunker. I wish the Disney event was soon as I'm happy with my game right now.

Got to the range today...twice. Went right after work and had to run back out there to help the owner and decided to bring my clubs. Had a good day mostly. Had to work on swinging more right. For whatever reason I was swinging left and kinda cutting myself off. Worked it out rather quickly and got right back on track. It's so freaking nice to have the fire and drive back to be good! I played good golf last year because I worked at the range so much that it was easy to bring to the course and I'm getting that drive back to play good golf!!

Here's a picture of my 7 iron after 15 balls. Sweet spot was getting hammered!

3a2e16b1e57f468f57917866d90c14f0.jpg

I just strive to be as good as some Canadian guy I know.
We all do. But I'm not cool enough to play blades. I hope some day they make SSGI irons. Haha

James, you know I suffer from the same thing. I wish I had your time to work on it. Are there any specific drills that you're using, or just trying to feel a shorter swing?

James, you know I suffer from the same thing. I wish I had your time to work on it. Are there any specific drills that you're using, or just trying to feel a shorter swing?

Trying to feel it and ingrain through my thick skull that more compact and smooth actually does mean longer and more accurate. Though, apparently, despite the visual proof on the course, I can still piss that all away in an instant and revert.

Really, I'm working the turn a LOT. "Left shoulder replaces the right shoulder" is my only thought, takes my arms out of play and forces me to coil and properly load without that long ass armsy cock and flip I've had.

As you know, its the mot frustrating and counterintuitive thing ever to break oneself of that loooooooooooooooooong ass swing.

Trying to feel it and ingrain through my thick skull that more compact and smooth actually does mean longer and more accurate. Though, apparently, despite the visual proof on the course, I can still piss that all away in an instant and revert.

Really, I'm working the turn a LOT. "Left shoulder replaces the right shoulder" is my only thought, takes my arms out of play and forces me to coil and properly load without that long ass armsy cock and flip I've had.

As you know, its the mot frustrating and counterintuitive thing ever to break oneself of that loooooooooooooooooong ass swing.
I don't think I have ever asked you this before. Do you take lessons or have a pro you work with?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back