The THP Range/Practice Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think I have ever asked you this before. Do you take lessons or have a pro you work with?

I do, irregularly, but I do. The $$$ makes it a bit difficult to take as many as I would like, but, such is life.

I do, irregularly, but I do. The $$$ makes it a bit difficult to take as many as I would like, but, such is life.
I hear ya brother. Doesn't matter either way, just realized in reading all the work you were putting in, the thought didn't occur to me if you were working with someone or kind of just going off basic principles and taking it from there. As you know, handicaps are great but playing consistently and to your cap is way more important. Can't wait to see you stomp some mud holes in CA. And when in doubt.... #PrettyPinkFlamingos

Trying to feel it and ingrain through my thick skull that more compact and smooth actually does mean longer and more accurate. Though, apparently, despite the visual proof on the course, I can still piss that all away in an instant and revert.

Really, I'm working the turn a LOT. "Left shoulder replaces the right shoulder" is my only thought, takes my arms out of play and forces me to coil and properly load without that long ass armsy cock and flip I've had.

As you know, its the mot frustrating and counterintuitive thing ever to break oneself of that loooooooooooooooooong ass swing.

Sometimes with my short irons, I can just turn my left shoulder and make what feels like barely any turn, and then just release through the ball and hit the hell out of it....it's amazing how little the shoulders need to travel to get a full turn. Of course, when I get long clubs in my hand, all of that goes out the window.

Good luck with your efforts. I'm working with a coach that knows my swing is never going to be like Zach Johnson, but we're trying to get me more stable at the top of the backswing.

Hit the practice green in the basement last night to work on things. The highlight was hitting 14 8 to 10 foot putts in a row, and the 15th lipped out. The putting stroke feels really good and consistent, and confidence is getting higher every day.

Went to the range last night to put some more work, but ended up helping the wife more with her game than I did with mine.
Oh well, we'll see how the work I have been putting in shows up in the 3 rounds I will play this weekend. Fri-Sat-Sun !

Going to be hitting the range tonight to get some Driver and wedge practice in. I started to lose my swing last night halfway through playing, so just need to get some rhythm back before hopefully playing this weekend.

Absolutely pounded the driver on the range tonight. Holy smokes. Now if I could ever translate that to the course I'd be ok.

Glorious incremental improvement tonight.

Irons aren't all the way there, but it was definitely a step in the right direction. Posture, position, stay connected, release the damn club...how hard is that?

7:00 and 9:00 Pelz shots were really pretty solid.

I hit two high straight drivers and put that club back in the bag.

And I even saw continued improvement with the Mini...still had some stinkers but more were in a tighter good zone than last time.

Golf has to be the most confusing game ever... got out to play some twilight golf. Was going to play again without my driver, but I only had little more than an hour of daylight and said let's just practice driver today. So left the mini in the trunk and took the driver. Proceeded to pound the driver most holes. First tee (par 4) with no warm up I hit a block to the right, so far right that it got past the trees and gave me a clean approach to the green (2 putt par). 2nd hole (par 5) driver down the middle, 6 iron to pin high left, up and down for bird. 3rd hole... this one is interesting. It's 450 yd Par 4 slight dogleg left slightly up hill. I picked a line to start and wanted to hit a draw. Hit the perfect shot and had 114 yd to the pin. One of the longest drives I've ever hit, perfectly shaped down the middle. I proceeded to chunk the approach and couldn't get up and down so bogey (I can write a book about what to do with a great drive!). Bottom line I hit driver 3 more times and found the fairway on all with good strikes. Of course this happens when I am seriously thinking of removing driver permanently from the bag... it's a silly game

After seeing Freddie's breakdown of Rory's swing I spent a lot of time working on my takeaway and follow through. I know I get out of sync on the takeaway a lot and my follow through has always been something I've struggled with. Was good practice and something I"m going to work on a lot more for a bit and really try to get the right feeling and positions engrained in me. I think it will help a ton.

I hit the range last night to work on a few things that were bugging me from my last couple rounds. First 50 balls were fantastic, second 50 balls were awful, and I would have hit another 50 but I was already too tired. By awful I mean that the contact was great but I just had no control over the flight and direction of the golf ball.
I'll write it off as a bad night and try again next time.

Hit a large bucket at the range trying to see if I can straighten out my driver somewhat before my lesson next week. After some setup changes, I found that doing the complete opposite of "tee it high and let it fly" works well for me. I know I'm probably giving up some distance, but teeing it a bit lower and an inch or two back from where I normally have it led to pretty straight shots with some decent rollout. I'm hopeful that we'll be able to fix a few flaws next week.

Irons were good again, I'm getting a lot more comfortable with longer irons and just feeling very relaxed during my backswing, which leads to a more relaxed downswing. I've always suffered from the hit impulse which has led to hitting fat a lot.

Some of Freddie's awesome pic notations in his sub forum have been really helpful in that regard - he's noted a few times when people needed to relax arms & elbows at setup and I've tried to keep that in mind when at the range.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Every day I work on honing my technique and gaining confidence in my chipping and pitching after the nightmare that has been the last 3 years. Still chilli-dipped one today during the round, but it was because I got completely out of my routine and tried to hurry it. Other than that, I saved 3 pars and got 1 birdie with my chipping today. The last three years, a missed green was a guaranteed bogey or double. Every time.

It's taken 1000's of balls and dozens of set-up/grip changes to find a chipping routine that works for me. And even though it may be somewhat unorthodox, I think it will work long term.

Last edited:
No better way to see a sunset than at the range!! Shutting the range down. Had a really great session. Spending time at the range everyday is starting to pay off. Tempo is really good and ball striking is improving and getting more consistent everyday.

23c5ac8f82fef4df7ca31a45f55aa7e3.jpg

No better way to see a sunset than at the range!! Shutting the range down. Had a really great session. Spending time at the range everyday is starting to pay off. Tempo is really good and ball striking is improving and getting more consistent everyday.

23c5ac8f82fef4df7ca31a45f55aa7e3.jpg
I like it dude! You on the range as the sun goes down, I am going to be there as the sun rises. Plan is to get a good range session early and then play a round later in the day.

Hit the range to work on last minute prep before my round tomorrow. Worked on shorter clubs and middle irons. Seemed to be a flawless set,hoping it will carry over to the course

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

Early morning range session. Already 100 balls in and another to go.. Ball striking much better than last night

e84bc05d78b552d7c17dca64e44e12f5.jpg

Edit: Finished the range session with working on the short game, hitting chips to different pins, using both my 54 and 58 degree wedges.

41448a782743cbbb470bdc6335d9d971.jpg

Last edited:
Went out and played 18 yesterday with my wife riding along for the first time ever, and didn't keep score. Trying to work on some things, and didn't want to just beat balls at the range, so found a course that wasn't busy and worked on my game on the course. If I hit a bad shot, I'd drop and hit another until I got it right. It was a fun experience for a couple of reasons; A) getting to share the game with my wife and show her what golf is all about was really fun, and getting to answer all of her questions kept me out of my own head. B) Not keeping score kept me from getting too serious about it, and just focusing on the good shots I hit and forgetting the bad shots. By the end, I feel like I had the driver in a better place than it has been, though I'm now hitting a draw instead of a fade, so that's something to get used to.

Went to the range today to work on driver and I lost the swing completely. I hoped on the LM and my angle of decent was in the 43-45 range and I've lost roughly 13mph off club head. My coach saw what was happening and we worked on it a bit and I scheduled a lesson for Friday!

I'm so furious at myself for slacking on the practice and lessons the last couple months and it's led me to regress on the huge amounts of momentum and gains we made. Time to buckle down and get my butt back to work.

Range session today, mainly drivers, putting the 2014 Big Bertha regular vs. my gamer 910D2 in stiff. Took the wife for the first time this year, and tried to just let her swing and miss to her heart's content.

SC100 was acting up on me, but when it was working it was throwing up swing speeds with the Big Bertha that were 6 mph faster right off the hop (which I didn't initially believe). Has me thinking I am playing a driver that is way too stiff. Then I start looking at the ball flights, regular flex is a huge fade bordering on slice. The stiff Red Tie in the 910D2 kept me much straighter, with a slight cut.

I really need some properly fit gear. My shotgun approach to clubs (ie buy and try whatever I can that is cheap), could really be hindering what my game could be.

I went out last night to work on getting the BB 815 Alpha 10.5° figured out. I set the sleeve settings to neutral and put the 7 gram weight in the toe to see if I could get some of the left of left dialed out. After warming up with some wedges and 8 irons, I hit about 15 balls with the driver, and though a couple of the initial swings were pull draws that still ended up 30 yards left of target, I was able to adjust my alignment and swing to get the ball well within my normal margin of error from left to right.

Out of the 15 that I hit I would say 5 felt pured. I normally carry my TM R11s about 260 when I hit it well. The marker in front of my teeing ground said 250 to the flag I was trying to hit to. I don't know how high the 5 pured shots were when they flew over that flag, but it was a bunch. There was no huge curvature in either direction (unlike my first go with the club). In fact, a couple of the ones that I hit, where I felt myself kind of stop my lower body and hit with the hands (which normally produces a big cut for me), actually held their line extremely well.

Unfortunately, as I was winding down just hitting some 7 irons and working on a relaxed transition from the top while maintaining my posture. I hit one shot that felt more or less like my left hip/lower back gimbal locked on the follow through. Nothing seemed to pop or immediately hurt. But as I went to reach for another ball I was done. Still, this morning it is whacked. Not good. If it had been one of the first 10 out of the 60 balls that I hit I could understand, but it was one of the last 10. And I was swinging easy.

I've been working on my balance for a couple weeks now and have determined that I hit it straighter and pure more often from a narrower stance with all my clubs. This is a big change as I haven't changed the width of my stance in 30 years. I'm not quite as narrow as Furyk but depending on the club my heels are 3-6 inches closer together than they have been in the past. I think it has corrected a slight sway to the right that is a longtime swing fault of mine. It's transferring to the course already as my worst ball striking round(out of 5 rounds) in the last 2 weeks was 13 GIR. It's exciting to get out and play because I'm getting 4-5 approach shots every round that are within 5 feet of my intended line.

Getting some work in today. Primarily hitting drivers and messing around with adjustments, comparing my SLDR to the J815. I love that I have this side of the range to myself and can clearly see the yardage markers.

f391bcea3f57daa5a8c8178a3689da4b.jpg

If only I still lived at my parents house, this would be my range every day.
60dc940731dd92677ce228a64fa79099.jpg

2014 Big Bertha driver, didnt have the best luck at the range but only hit two fades out of 30 balls..... everything else just crushed and with a ball flight I had never seen before. It seems the regular shaft agrees with me.

So excited to hit driver again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back