The THP Range/Practice Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can't wait for Friday, first chance to get back out to the range after a 2-week injury hiatus.

Got out to the practice green for about 30 minutes during my lunch with thoughts of battling Mike Dean and Freddie in my mind. I told War Eagle that putting was one of my weaknesses, so that along with working on the tee ball, are my main focuses leading up to this event.

I've developed a bad habit of lifting my head up too early, so I was trying to keep my head still and allow my follow through to happen. Distance control was good on the long putts and I was making the short ones consistently. The goal is to smooth out the stroke and not be so handsy. It was a good practice session but I've got a ways to go.

Got out to the practice green for about 30 minutes during my lunch with thoughts of battling Mike Dean and Freddie in my mind. I told War Eagle that putting was one of my weaknesses, so that along with working on the tee ball, are my main focuses leading up to this event.

I've developed a bad habit of lifting my head up too early, so I was trying to keep my head still and allow my follow through to happen. Distance control was good on the long putts and I was making the short ones consistently. The goal is to smooth out the stroke and not be so handsy. It was a good practice session but I've got a ways to go.

I went through that exact think for a LONG time. I took a putting lesson last summer and the instructor said that was exactly what I was doing. That caused me to not finish my stroke, which caused some right misses, then I'd compensate and miss left. He also noticed my stance was slightly closed, which made this worse. One thing he had me do was snap down a chalk line, and just practice my stroke, and make sure the putter head finished over that line. I am going to practice that even at home on a practice green just to make that automatic.

Has rained the last two days only looks to continue, haven't hit a ball in 5 days and its killing me.

Have ranged yesterday, will be at the range today, tomorrow, and Friday... gotta get every little help I can before making a mockery of my iron/driver/short game Saturday

Went to the range and hit 160 +/- balls and then hit up TopGolf by myself on a whim for another 100 balls. Go away snow! Thought things would be terrible after so long of not swinging a club. Was so much fun! Hands hurt a little...but the smile doesn't care.

Stopped at lunch again today to confirm what I found yesterday. Staying behind the ball and taking it away lower is what I have been missing. 2 days in a row and same solid results. Got into a habit of picking it up to quick.

Doing work for #kickoffclassic

3bdd97520a9b91830a17b4a37ed1685c.jpg

I'm going to putt tonight. Kind of pumped

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Doing work for #kickoffclassic

3bdd97520a9b91830a17b4a37ed1685c.jpg

Did some prep work at the range hit two buckets.

First bucket i hit 3 shots with every club in my bag (a couple of extras with some clubs) my focus was alignment and a nice relaxed grip. Was stiff early but loosened up and the alignment improved a bit, still a little to work on though.

My second bucket was dedicated to this event, I played 14 of the 18 holes off of the scorecard/course tour from the tips (since we are playing #truth golf and there are some serious uphill approach shots i felt this was a good way to prepare.

Was a great exercise and i am feeling confident after tonights session.

Did feel fatigued and cold toward the end so finished with some chipping to short distance targets

Has rained the last two days only looks to continue, haven't hit a ball in 5 days and its killing me.
I made it yesterday when there was a short break in the am. Didn't even consider it today. Around 9am, that was the hardest I've ever seen it rain in my life (and I grew up in Vancouver).

We get a break tomorrow.

Did some prep work at the range hit two buckets.

First bucket i hit 3 shots with every club in my bag (a couple of extras with some clubs) my focus was alignment and a nice relaxed grip. Was stiff early but loosened up and the alignment improved a bit, still a little to work on though.

My second bucket was dedicated to this event, I played 14 of the 18 holes off of the scorecard/course tour from the tips (since we are playing #truth golf and there are some serious uphill approach shots i felt this was a good way to prepare.

Was a great exercise and i am feeling confident after tonights session.

Did feel fatigued and cold toward the end so finished with some chipping to short distance targets

Nice work buddy!!!

I went through that exact think for a LONG time. I took a putting lesson last summer and the instructor said that was exactly what I was doing. That caused me to not finish my stroke, which caused some right misses, then I'd compensate and miss left. He also noticed my stance was slightly closed, which made this worse. One thing he had me do was snap down a chalk line, and just practice my stroke, and make sure the putter head finished over that line. I am going to practice that even at home on a practice green just to make that automatic.

I noticed my stance being closed as well at times. That is a good drill to make sure you are following through. I may have to do that.

Got to the range last night with my son, smallball. It was cold, but the heated bays made it bearable. Really excited on the improvement I am making in being able to move the ball with my irons to the right as well as left. Next step there is the biggest - being confident enough to take it on the course. Not something I hope I need to do much, but it's nice to have that in the bag. Driver again is a mixed bag. Have a lesson coming soon and that will be the main focus. Will be working on my putting stroke at home this evening.
As an aside, smallball was smashing his driver - had to be carrying at least 250, and it was 34' outside. He is still battling shanks for some reason, so I told him I would spring for a lesson. As a 19 year old, he has a busy life ( school, girl, work ) but I need to get him more active here!

Back to the practice green today to work on the putting for about 30 minutes. The greens have not been cut recently as I think they are trying to protect them from the cold, but it was still time well spent. Worked on short putts, 10 feet range, and lag putting

I have to admit, it's a first for me but it's been too cold to practice, I just can't do cold anymore.

I have to admit, it's a first for me but it's been too cold to practice, I just can't do cold anymore.

Air temps weren't too bad, but it was windy. I need to invest in some winter weight pants. Today was a day when I needed to get out of the office and get some fresh air, so I didn't mind the cold too much.

Spent half an hour hitting punch shots/9-3 shots in the garage tonight with foam balls. I'm still moving my head & upper body forward on the downswing which causes all sorts of issues. Really need to work on that, video shows that I'm light years better when it comes to not swaying in the backswing, so not sure if the whole moving forward thing is left over from compensations for that old move or what. But it's annoying and I need to get it fixed before #THPRegionalRivalry.

Took advantage of the milder weather and hit the range for a couple of hours after work.

Mainly hit my short irons continuing to work on extending towards my target and keeping my back elbow tucked. Really liked the way I struck the ball tonight.

Finished up by heading inside to work on the indoor green, putting for 20-25 minutes before calling it a night.

After a month of nothing but wedges at the range, I practiced hitting my driver today.
Im sore from swinging that thing.
Also put in 15 minutes on putting.

Went out and found some grass to hit off of since the snow slowly melted the last few days.I really can't believe it,But my banana slice is completely gone.This dome teacher completely rocks and I believe him more than ever now.Never realized cupping the club wide open on the way down would give me low straight hits.Still can't grasp why it works and why not flipping my hands over hits a banana slice

The THP Range/Practice Thread

Hit the range on my lunch break today. Started with 10 shots each with GW,54,58 to varying distances and targets. Next I chose the remainder of my irons at random and swung it until I had three consecutive solid strikes. With the remainder of my range balls I played simulated golf hitting tee and approach shots based on the hole of the course I selected. Swing felt pretty good today, primary miss was pull/pull-hook. Some thins in there too...seems like they always creep up.

Hoping to stop on my way home and get some work on an actual putting surface.

ETA: Did get about 30 mins of work in with the putter. Mostly clock drill, 3,4,5,6 footers on the same line, and some midrange lag putting in the 20-25 foot range.

Last edited:
More half and punch shots with a PW in the garage tonight. Lost a few foam balls, but I'm sure they'll turn up eventually :) Just focused on starting back properly and trying to not move my head forward on the downswing.

Finally got out to the range today over lunch. Was suspect after the first 15 balls, but then got back into a groove again that I have been seeing. I have found in my effort to shorten my swing slightly I went two short. After playing back some video on shots where I thought I was going way past where I should be on video it just right. It was leading to about 5 to 7 yards more also. I was getting frustrated because I was down about half a club but striking the ball so much better it didn't make sense to me. Getting that little bit of extra width in my swing has helped.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back