The Winter Olympics

Esox

Reaction score
Handicap
I was listening to sports talk radio today and they had a poll about whether the Winter Olympics were relevant, if anybody still cares. I was surprised by the number of negative calls from meat head listeners. Most seem to feel the upcoming games are pointless. Little to no drama, too much ice skating, and both NBC and the City of Vancouver stand to lose a bundle.

I've always enjoyed the Winter Games more than the Summer Games. I'm not going to hurdle or run a marathon, but I might go skiing. Well, probably not, but I easily could. The Winter games seem more like hobbies to me and I like that. Who throws the hammer or javelin in their spare time? The track and field portion of the summer games seems to take weeks and weeks to me.

In the Winter Games I like to watch speed skating, Beertown was once the speed skating headquarters of the U.S., ski jumping, downhill skiing, figure skating, (the legs on the women are fantastic), and some others. Plus the Winter Games still seem more "amateur" to me. When the "Dream Team" went to the Olympics, that ruined it.

Anybody still think the Winter Games are fun to watch?

Kevin

I like watching both Olympics. I get more into the Summer games though.

Did they get enough snow or did they have to haul most of it in?

Re: The Winter Olympics

I am addicted to both the summer and winter games. It is fun watching the main/common events, but I enjoy watching most of the obscure events that are rarely televised outside of the olympics. I guess I wish ESPN 8 (The Ocho) was a real channel.

I will be watching a lot of the Olympics. I get a lot more excited for the winter games compared to the summer. The 100 and 200 M races are the only things I actually watch in the summer.

I think I get more excited about the Winter games then the Summer. Its the only time where we all become a curling expert for a couple of weeks.

I never watch the summer games. Always watch the winter games. Can't stand ice skating/dancing/whatever though.

Olympic Hockey FTW!!!

I like both Olympics.

I like the Winter Olympics because you get to see all the cool sports like Luge, Bobsled, Curling, Downhill skiing, ski jumping

I enjoy watching both Olympic events. I agree with you Esox - the Winter Olympics have a more "amateur" feel to them, which for me, makes it more fun to to watch. I'm also one of those guys who'd rather watch college football than the NFL, if that means anything.

I like watching all the ice skating events most, yes, even the ice dancing. I enjoy most of the skiing competitions as well.

Gasman mentioned curling. I really don't get that "sport". My wife and I were discussing curling just yesterday - it seems like a game that some drunk janitors made up while ice fishing one day. :D

I never really plan to watch the Winter Olympics, but will come across something and cant change the channel. Last year the curling. Like gasman, its pretty strange, but the touch these people have in it is amazing. This year there is a guy, (I don't know him), from a tiny little town not far from me in it. Liz is checking to see which sport and when he'll be on, so we'll be watching.

im canadian so i think this is self explanatory.

winter olympics are pretty much our only chance at medals.

I enjoy both summer and winter olympics. While I enjoy watching more "events" at the summer olympics, I enjoy watching the winter ski events more than any other event in both the summer and winter.

For sure, the Canadians will do very well in the games. I'm getting kind of excited to watch things unfold.

I prefer the Summer Olympics (only for the Womens Beach Volleyball :act-up:), only kidding. I like watching both though. Will be interesting to see how they go without snow. Have they hauled enough in to see the games through?

:clap: I just didn't want to say it, but very true. Plus this will be one of the best hockey tournaments of all time IMO

:clap: I just didn't want to say it, but very true. Plus this will be one of the best hockey tournaments of all time IMO

I just noticed where Vancouver was also ranked the worlds most "liveable" city. Good stuff. I'd love to see it.

id much rather watch winter over summer...
as the OP stated... after the dream team the olympics havent been the same...
i thought it was so unfair that pro bball players already made millions and had to take this away from guys that didnt...

curling is like lawn bowls except in colder climates. that's what i've gathered from watching it. i like to watch how "into it" the sweeper people get, while scooting down the ice.

they actually showed the clip of the georgian luge guy... wow... if its well reported that track is the most dangerous... you'd think they would have fix it before someone died

they actually showed the clip of the georgian luge guy... wow... if its well reported that track is the most dangerous... you'd think they would have fix it before someone died

It's the fastest track in the world, which I assume is why they probably haven't changed it :sad:

curling is like lawn bowls except in colder climates. that's what i've gathered from watching it. i like to watch how "into it" the sweeper people get, while scooting down the ice.

I like womens curling the most. Ill have some buddies over to watch.
[YOUTUBE]CM5mFH3_Qhs&feature[/YOUTUBE]

Quite a performance for the opening. Kind of far out, but I've liked it so far.

Quite a performance for the opening. Kind of far out, but I've liked it so far.

They are not even showing it live I guess on the West Coast. Dont tell me who lights the torch.
I always feel like you need to be on some serious drugs to enjoy the opening ceremonies.

LOL, I am on serious drugs, but there all legal. The floor of the stadium is extremely cool, in a warm way, (I figured someone would make a cold Canada joke).

Back