THP Contests.........and the future

TC

Keg Thrower
Reaction score
Handicap
b/c i am who i am, and b/c i say what's on my mind, i had to just put thoughts into words, and unfortunately, out there for everyone to read. i've been lucky to be a "staff" member here for a few months now and it's something that i am proud of, something i take seriously, but i do enjoy my time on the forum bantering away with everyone.

i got my first real taste of "staff-dom" when i assisted JB and GG in reaching out to resorts to start planning the 2011 outing. it was a lot of work, a lot of time, and a lot more difficult than i ever imagined.

i can't help but assume that they put in just as much hard work developing, maintaining, and nourishing relationships with so many companies out there in the golf industry.

i can't lie, i've been very disappointed in the amount of activity that has taken place in/during the past two contests. adidas gives away a pair of adipure's and we don't get 20 entries? wtf is that? bushnell, who JB speaks very highly of, offers to give away a GPS unit and we don't get 20 entries? wtf is that?

i'm not calling out any indicviduals, and yes, it's your right to enter a contest or not, but let's not forget that these contests are possible b/c of how hard JB and GG work for us. i enter them out of respect to those forged relationships.

i'm stepping off my soap box now.

I completely agree man...I said it in both threads that I was disappointed to see the amount of people entering. So I dont think its just you.

b/c i am who i am, and b/c i say what's on my mind, i had to just put thoughts into words, and unfortunately, out there for everyone to read. i've been lucky to be a "staff" member here for a few months now and it's something that i am proud of, something i take seriously, but i do enjoy my time on the forum bantering away with everyone.

i got my first real taste of "staff-dom" when i assisted JB and GG in reaching out to resorts to start planning the 2011 outing. it was a lot of work, a lot of time, and a lot more difficult than i ever imagined.

i can't help but assume that they put in just as much hard work developing, maintaining, and nourishing relationships with so many companies out there in the golf industry.

i can't lie, i've been very disappointed in the amount of activity that has taken place in/during the past two contests. adidas gives away a pair of adipure's and we don't get 20 entries? wtf is that? bushnell, who JB speaks very highly of, offers to give away a GPS unit and we don't get 20 entries? wtf is that?

i'm not calling out any indicviduals, and yes, it's your right to enter a contest or not, but let's not forget that these contests are possible b/c of how hard JB and GG work for us. i enter them out of respect to those forged relationships.

i'm stepping off my soap box now.

::Stands and applauds:::

Thank you for saying what I was thinking- but that I don't have the moxi to say.

Thanks for the thread TC. If you don't mind, I am going to add what I posted in the other thread. (Actually, it doesn't matter, because it's here now whether you mind or not! hehehe)

I'd like to add that if you are here for the camaraderie of the people here and the contests are the furthest thing from your mind, that's great! But the contests are a very important part of THP (from the first couple of weeks of it's existence, THP has had giveaways) and the more people who enter them, the more companies are willing to supply the items for these contests.

Remember that even though the members of the forum are the beneficiaries of the contests with the prizes they win, the companies enjoy reading the threads and seeing all the banter that goes back and forth between everyone in their threads. They enjoy these contest as much as and maybe even more than the members who actually win the prize!

Even if you want to turn around and offer it to another member (as has happened before), it never hurts to enter one of these. You could even make up your own contest if you wanted to and give it away that way! Just let JB and GG know where they need to ship it if you don't want it. It wouldn't matter to them since they need to ship it someplace, anyway! One note on shipping, it does cost them to send these things around the country, and since they don't ask and never expect it, sending a donation to match the shipping costs would not be unappreciated, especially since none of these contests cost anything to enter.

I've actually missed a few of the recent contests because I have been a little busy doing other projects (some for THP, some for myself) but still try to enter as many as I can. If you haven't entered any contests yet, give it a shot. Everyone has the same chance to win and it costs nothing to enter, so why not take a chance? You've got nothing to lose!

Just an FYI, I think we had 25 in the first day of the iron testing for THP! hahaha

Didn't see you on a soapbox man. It's good to get your thought out. For me, I didn't enter the shoes and bushnell for two reasons..

1. For the most part, as bad @ss as the shoes are the Adidas don't always agree with my feet.
2. The bushnell, I just purchased one. Not to say I'm so cocky that I thought I would win but I just figured since I had one... A little different to me than a set of irons or whatever other contests Ill put in for.

However, Smalls brought up a great point in which we can share the wealth if we do win something. I just don't want to seem ungrateful if I do win something. I certainly don't want to be one of the people who just come on for contests but I'd don't want to be on the other side too. I don't think that some people miss these contests because they don't want to support the site or the company's, sometimes there are other reasons too. Just my .02 as I see there is a lot floating around on this. THP is a home away from home for me so I'd hate for anyone to think I'm trying to not be supportive. Kinda funny because you'd think by posting I'm defending guilt, which I guess it could come across that way.

I think people get spoiled when they see a set or irons given away and then go ho-hum about "smaller" contests. Also, Gus was correct when he mentioned that the contests that require work see less entries. It's disappointing to me as well, TC. I'm not the most creative person out there, but I love reading the great entries. Hell, we got to see somebody set their shoes on fire! I think that entering the contests for smaller stuff is just as fun and the prizes can be great, too. I won the "Whats for Dinner", which required creativity and was a medium size (in THP terms) prize. I got some awesome clothes that I wear all the time and some really cool add-ons that I never would have purchased for myself. Regardless of the size of the prize, there is nothing better than a THP box at your door :D

*Bows head in shame. I am guilty of not entering the last few. I won't let this happen again.

Didn't see you on a soapbox man. It's good to get your thought out. For me, I didn't enter the shoes and bushnell for two reasons..

1. For the most part, as bad @ss as the shoes are the Adidas don't always agree with my feet.
2. The bushnell, I just purchased one. Not to say I'm so cocky that I thought I would win but I just figured since I had one... A little different to me than a set of irons or whatever other contests Ill put in for.

However, Smalls brought up a great point in which we can share the wealth if we do win something. I just don't want to seem ungrateful if I do win something. I certainly don't want to be one of the people who just come on for contests but I'd don't want to be on the other side too. I don't think that some people miss these contests because they don't want to support the site or the company's, sometimes there are other reasons too. Just my .02 as I see there is a lot floating around on this. THP is a home away from home for me so I'd hate for anyone to think I'm trying to not be supportive. Kinda funny because you'd think by posting I'm defending guilt, which I guess it could come across that way.

your more than welcome to hand me down any winnings. :D

I agree with you TC. I did not enter the adidas contest as I JUST bought another pair or shoes and truth be told, I'm not a fan of the brown. I figured I would bow out of that one and let someone who really met the requirements of the contest win. Both my pairs of shoes are less than a year old and I am very happy with them. I figured there was a more deserving person out there than me. I did enter the Bushnell contest.

Were there really less than 20 entries for those contests? That's crazy!! I would have never guess that!

See I don't think TC meant this for anyone to feel guilty....

I don't know haha. I feel as if I shoulda put in the for the irons too but my handicap wasn't there.
*Bows head in shame. I am guilty of not entering the last few. I won't let this happen again.

great post TC. I feel the same pain as you do but I think I see a trend here. The more 'creative' the contest the less entries. For some reason people like to just type 'count me in' more so than do a little work for an nicer prize. I personally like the creative and hunting type of contests so that never bothers me. I think that's the way to go when you have 'nicer' prizes so if people don't want to participate then fine. But those same people better not complain and say 'where are the contests?' when the OEM's see the lack of interest and stop offering prizes.

I agree. I vented a little in the adidas contest. I thought it was great prize and something that was too difficult to enter. I did not enter the GPS because I am not in need of one, so if I won it I would be taking it away from someone who might. I hope people decided to enter more contests and that they stick around and chat, not just pop up when a contest is announced.

I agree. I did not enter the bushnell because I just got a rangefinder not to long ago and wanted to give someone else a chance to win and did not think it would be fair of me to try and get a gps on top of that. I entered the Adidas contest but I knew If I won I was going to give them away to a buddy who needed some since I just got new kicks. I felt bad for not entering and supporting THP but I knew it was better if I didnt since I had one and maybe thats some of the pther people's thoughts as well.

I only enter in things that I know I would really use because I think if im just entering to enter for the heck of it, its not really fair to someone else that really needs it. Know what I mean?

I don't think the point of the thread was to shame anyone into participating.

Its funny because THP is so much bigger than when I joined but we have significantly less contest participation now than we used too.

great post TC. I feel the same pain as you do but I think I see a trend here. The more 'creative' the contest the less entries. For some reason people like to just type 'count me in' more so than do a little work for an nicer prize. I personally like the creative and hunting type of contests so that never bothers me. I think that's the way to go when you have 'nicer' prizes so if people don't want to participate then fine. But those same people better not complain and say 'where are the contests?' when the OEM's see the lack of interest and stop offering prizes.

agreed and agreed

I agree. I vented a little in the adidas contest. I thought it was great prize and something that was too difficult to enter. I did not enter the GPS because I am not in need of one, so if I won it I would be taking it away from someone who might. I hope people decided to enter more contests and that they stick around and chat, not just pop up when a contest is announced.

That part angers me the most! Hate when people do that.

I am still a newbie here on THP, but I have really enjoyed to contest side to this forum. I really had an awesome time setting my shoes on fire! Maybe because I am a closet pyro. I did not enter this contest for the same reasons as many other people, the fact that I didn't need the prize. I really do hope that these contest go on and I really enjoy having to work for them. Heck I would even do some video stuff for fun. I don't think there would be that many entries if you had to do a video, but it would be fun. I also enjoy all aspects of this forum and it is by far the best forum I have been apart of. I do dislike the money I have spent on golf since joining this forum, but love the time on this forum.

LOL, how can you not love that bridges took pictures of his golf boots? hehehehehe

Seriously, I know that people are busy and it's easier to just say "I'm in", but I think my entry for the shoes took a total of 10 minutes for picture taking, uploading, thinking, and posting. I reckon that I'm as busy as anybody here most days, but I found time to do it. Why? Because it's fun! Oh, and I'd have to work considerably longer to get those kicks on my feet. Every contest can't be a set of clubs, and we are incredibly fortunate to have companies give us other opportunities as well.

I don't think the point of the thread was to shame anyone into participating.

Its funny because THP is so much bigger than when I joined but we have significantly less contest participation now than we used too.

The Burner contest was pretty big..... Lots of people joined to get in on that one.

LOL, how can you not love that bridges took pictures of his golf boots? hehehehehe

Seriously, I know that people are busy and it's easier to just say "I'm in", but I think my entry for the shoes took a total of 10 minutes for picture taking, uploading, thinking, and posting. I reckon that I'm as busy as anybody here most days, but I found time to do it. Why? Because it's fun! Oh, and I'd have to work considerably longer to get those kicks on my feet. Every contest can't be a set of clubs, and we are incredibly fortunate to have companies give us other opportunities as well.

Well said!

The Burner contest was pretty big..... Lots of people joined to get in on that one.

Of course there are big ones. Any of our major "choose a player" contests get a TON of people.
I also remember prizes for THP prize packs that netted 40+ entries vs <20 for $250 shoes or a new GPS

That's kind of a neccessary evil, I think. TM wants to get the word out that they are giving the irons away (rightfully so) and THP wants to make sure that members are given the opportunity for the spoils. So, you get the contest members. It seems that it has always been that way, but for the most part, it seems to end up being a valuable member that wins most of the time.

That's kind of a neccessary evil, I think. TM wants to get the word out that they are giving the irons away (rightfully so) and THP wants to make sure that members are given the opportunity for the spoils. So, you get the contest members. It seems that it has always been that way, but for the most part, it seems to end up being a valuable member that wins most of the time.

It would be nice to have more people stick around. I'm still here 8 months later and I plan to be for a long long time. I'm proud to say that I joined because I wanted to be here rather than for a contest. This is truly a unique and special place and it sucks that more people don't realize that.

It would be nice to have more people stick around. I'm still here 8 months later and I plan to be for a long long time. I'm proud to say that I joined because I wanted to be here rather than for a contest. This is truly a unique and special place and it sucks that more people don't realize that.

Nature of the beast, unfortunately. There are lots of people out there that are intimidated by message boards. THP is easily the most inviting one I've come across, but some people just aren't talkers.

Back