Throwing equipment vs throwing a ball?

Ball throwing looks better than club throwing

I have thrown a ball in the water a number of times. Bad Ju-Ju to keep playing it. I dont like throwing clubs.

Ditto. I usually say something about the ball being bad luck as I toss it in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I never throw clubs, but I've been known to casually toss a ball into the green side water hazards. I think it's equal parts frustration and "moving on" from that ball/hole. Seems more mature than a temper laden toss of a golf club--which is probably inaccurate.

That's how I justify it at least.

The ball just didn't have any good swings left in it.

That's how I justify it at least.

The ball just didn't have any good swings left in it.

Hahaha yup. It was used up

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ball chucking doesn't bother me. Club tossing hits a nerve though - when I was caddying in middle/high school I had a member chuck his putter into the lake on 18 after losing a substantial amount of money in the round. He told me to go get it for him. I chuckled and said "I'm sorry sir?" to which he replied "You heard me. Go get it." Thankfully that pr*ck was asked to leave the club a few seasons later.

Makes my blood boil. That would have earned a hard "Get it yourself, sir." or worse from me, but I understand as a kid/caddie at a private club you are put in tough spots. You couldn't pay me enough to clean up after a jerk like that, and I'd be the first one to explain to my boss and club management why, on my way out if need be, but preferable on HIS way out for being abusive.

Not a fan of throwing clubs, a ball is OK, but ultimately wasteful, so I won't be tossing mine. Karma comes around... I hit too many balls in the woods anyway $$$

Last edited:
Neither bother me, when I see somebody getting that mad, I smile and remember my attitude when I was younger, lol.

A ball is OK to relieve a little frustration. Equipment costs way too much money and it is more a sign of uncontrollable anger than tossing a ball into the water to me. Of course, if you have to wing the ball a hundred or so yards to get it to the hazard, then that starts getting into the out of hand area.

It doesn't bother me if someone wants to chuck a ball. Don't care at all for the club throwing!!! Guy I play with once in awhile likes to kick the metal tee box markers, waiting for him to break a toe one of these times.

I've Favre'd a few balls into water hazards. I do it for two reasons. 1) relieve a little frustration 2) Show the rest of the balls in my bag what happens when they don't cooperate.

Why throw anything? Just put ball in pocket take deep breath and forget the hole.

Throwing equipment vs throwing a ball?

I've only walked off the golf course twice in 20 years.

First time was when my "playing partner" helicoptered a putter back toward his push cart from 60 feet away, over-throwing his clubs and crashing into my bag instead. I calmly collected my clubs and walked back to the first tee.

The second was when a different playing partner slammed his driver into his bag, breaking the shaft of his 8 iron in the process, which then went flying into a pond.

I have no desire to play with anyone who cannot accept that we amateurs hit bad shots...

I've tossed a ball in a nearby pond and started with a fresh one on a new hole. Never thrown hard, just little underhand toss.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Why throw anything? Just put ball in pocket take deep breath and forget the hole.
Because it's the balls fault. Gotta get rid of it.

I just threw a ball the other day. The ball is the least expensive thing you can throw to let out some frustration. Clearly it's not the balls fault but man it feels good!

A playing buddy of mine used a waterlogged ball in the previous round and it flew funny. It would fly great on the first part but suddenly die off.

I throw neither. My worst is thumping the fairway. Usually I just call myself an idiot then move on.

I'll throw a ball into the water to get the bad vibe out. Clubs ill never throw into the water

I've thrown both and don't really care if someone does so long as it doesn't risk injury or property damage. I stopped throwing balls because it's lost money and don't throw clubs after a time I did it and had to spend half an hour wading through a marsh looking for the club a few years ago.

Never thrown a ball but a club has gotten tossed. Never bothered me when you toss a club but if you do it over and over it just gets annoying

I've done it numerous times but its usually just a underhand toss into the drink. I never wind up and right field it.

I don't have a problem with the ball tossed in the water as sometimes it is best way to move on from a bad stretch. I much prefer it over tossing or slamming a club.

Last edited:
No, because if I'm having a bad putting day, I always sacrifice a ball to the golf gods that reside in the water.

A couple weeks ago, I tried to pitch a ball, it hit a branch because I didn't clear the tree that stood between me and the water and it bounced back towards the green. Partner said: "The golf gods reject your offering." We all had a good laugh.

I've tossed a few balls into the water or deep into the woods - they're a couple of bucks a piece vs. $50+ for a club. Plus there's little to no likelihood of someone getting hit and hurt, which to me is the biggest issue when someone decides to whip a club. I've seen guys try to fire an iron or putter in one direction and it goes in a completely opposite way, and they look even more foolish.

I've always thought of ball throwing was an offering to the golf gods. Sometimes the ball just needs to be washed.

That's what I say if I do it. Not often do I toss a ball but if I do, it's always into water and it's a beat up ball after a few bad holes. Let the golf gods have that one as a sacrifice.

I have tossed a wedge or two in my day, but mostly I let the balls with the bad juju find their home in nature now.

I lose enough balls without throwing them in the water on purpose! But it doesn't bother me if someone else does, better than throwing a club.

Back