Tiger and Nike Part Ways

ROLL EM BACK
Also want the little offset pocket on the waistline ….. which was useful
For absolutely nothing 🤣

Also want the little offset pocket on the waistline ….. which was useful
For absolutely nothing 🤣
I hate those pockets, even in the side pockets itself. All it does is catch a tee and then get stuck, stab me in the hand, etc.

Some say pleats are due for a comeback.
Everything goes in cycles. No doubt we will see pleats be in style again but maybe not for another decade or two. :)

Everything goes in cycles. No doubt we will see pleats be in style again but maybe not for another decade or two. :)
I really really hope not.

I hate those pockets, even in the side pockets itself. All it does is catch a tee and then get stuck, stab me in the hand, etc.
Ban them ! Ban them now I say ! And it’s tees … they need to be kept in a sharps container ☺️

Was this Nike's idea or Tigers'? If Nike's, pretty darn stupid.

Even if the endorsement was not providing a return in merchandise sales, this is a bad move. You want the most iconic man in golf to represent your brand - regardless of the return.

Wow that is insane the length they were together. Does this basically mean Nike and Golf will be no more?

Even if the endorsement was not providing a return in merchandise sales, this is a bad move. You want the most iconic man in golf to represent your brand - regardless of the return.
If it was Nike's idea, I'm sure they had a whole platoon of bean counters doing the math to determine that the ROI wasn't there. I don't think any company would make that kind of decision lightly or impulsively.

Any other steps in your corporate bankruptcy guide?

All kidding aside, you’re right if the goal is to remain an iconic golf brand. I don’t think that’s Nike anymore.

Now the question of where he is going. Perhaps work with Michael Jordan or go to Adidas or start his own brand? It will be interesting to see. “People will ask if there is another chapter,” Woods wrote. “Yes, there will certainly be another chapter. See you in LA!” So, it looks like he will be releasing his plans at the Genesis Riviera tournament?

Seems like this thread should be in "Golf on Tour" forum because it is more about the pro contracts and sponsors than clothing.

Last edited:
Consider the following.

Younger folks (20's and under) are simply not marketable in golf. Even older folks are more likely to buy merchandise from young content creators (GG) than Gen Z.

Traditionally, players follow golf and buy golf merchandise. Gen Z may play golf, but it is so far down the list of things they do that it is not on the high priority disposable spending list. In addition, golf gear is expensive and only the boomers and Gen X seem to have the discretionary funds for an outright assault on the golf market.

That is why it surprises me that TW would not be associated with Nike. I cannot even imagine a scenario where TW is more profitable on his own. I can see him moving to another iconic brand, but even that has a major drawback. The major drawback is that he has won while repping Nike, will he win repping Adidas or another brand? If so, great move - if not, **** move for the endorser.

Consider the following.

Younger folks (20's and under) are simply not marketable in golf. Even older folks are more likely to buy merchandise from young content creators (GG) than Gen Z.

Traditionally, players follow golf and buy golf merchandise. Gen Z may play golf, but it is so far down the list of things they do that it is not on the high priority disposable spending list. In addition, golf gear is expensive and only the boomers and Gen X seem to have the discretionary funds for an outright assault on the golf market.

That is why it surprises me that TW would not be associated with Nike. I cannot even imagine a scenario where TW is more profitable on his own. I can see him moving to another iconic brand, but even that has a major drawback. The major drawback is that he has won while repping Nike, will he win repping Adidas or another brand? If so, great move - if not, **** move for the endorser.
I think Tiger has enough cache that the brand is not relevant. The biggest talking point in all of golf will be which logo he's wearing at his next tournament. Any company he chooses, be it his own or otherwise, will immediately sell a ton of merchandise.

Long run for sure. When I think of Nike I always think of the chip at the masters where it showed the Nike logo.

My opinion:

Nike creates a Scottie and Rory line of apparel.

Tiger joins either Grayson or partners with a even more junior brand and creates a sub division of his own brand apparel using the logo he owns.

15% increase in acceleration in the schwing zone

schwing GIF

Surprising. It’ll look pretty weird seeing Tiger in non Nike gear. If he does start his own brand (which I bet he doesn’t), I can’t see it lasting that long. I can see that being a success 20 years ago when everyone wanted to dress like him. Now, not so much.

Last edited:
During their 27 year partnership, I did not once purchase TW branded apparel, hats, or shoes. I was close on the shoes (especially the re-release this year), but in the end they were just never a good fit.

Really curious to see what happens next. A TW brand being made? A partnership with someone like UA? A complete out of left field surprise entrant?

Interested, but probably still not buying whatever he ends up with.

Why not tiger brand.

He doesn’t need a sponsor.

Shark
Hogan
Nicklaus
Arnie

We need Tiger

I’m sure Nike was fine with it: “Hey, The Golf Channel will show Tiger’s highlights and accomplishments ad nauseum every time he plays or has a ‘comeback’. We will be on Tiger in perpetuity… We’re good and Good luck, Tiger…”

And NOBODY will know what he’s currently wearing

I think everyone saw this coming with the Nike and Srixon combination coming soon... did Charlie maybe display tigers next line at the PNC???

I think everyone saw this coming with the Nike and Srixon combination coming soon... did Charlie maybe display tigers next line at the PNC???
Nike and Srixon???

TW apparel on discount now

I just saw something on social media that he’s thinking about signing with Greyson. Makes sense since they already have Charlie

I really really hope not.
But do you remember how reluctant you were to go flat front for the first time? It’s the same right?

According to Forbes Woods' net worth is about $1.1 billion. He’s earned just under $121 million in career earnings on the PGA Tour alone, and about $1.8 billion in his pro golf career via winnings, appearance fees and endorsements. Forbes further estimates that Woods earned approximately $500 million from Nike, if not more.

This parting of ways isn't a real surprise, as Nike plans to cut $2 billion in costs over the next three years.

Back