Titleist 816 H1/H2 Review Thread

No date on when they would actually be in a store but an order can be placed for a 17*

So last fall/winter I bought the 816H1 21* - 23* - 25* hybrids and I am freaking ecstatic over them! I hadn't been able to play due to weather and life, until the last few weekends and I'm just like wow! The ball flight is great, they have a nice feel and look, great hybrids imo.

So, I've played the H1 before (23) and enjoyed it a good bit. I also documented much of that in here, and I stand by it still that IMO they are solid hybrids which do a lot solid, but aren't the longest, lowest spinning, or highest launching. I know that sparked some...interesting...conversation but I stand by it still as a good thing, and not a knock on the clubs.

Fast forward to now when I really think its just time to move to a more forgiving hybrid than my Apex, that I can still get to play to iron replacement distances which is CRITICAL for me and my setup, I don't want or need distance hounds, and I don't say that as being cocky with hitting the ball longer than most, its simply me wanting a 5hy to replace a 5i and a 4hy to replace a 4i. Its the reason the Apex have stayed in my bag so long, but in wanting more forgiveness and still being able to dial them to a specific gap, these were the first to cross my mind. Fast forward to a late night on eBay and a great price (silly good) for both which turned out to basically be new in a great surprise...here we are.

Going to reshaft eventually with Recoil 125's and give them a whirl there too. Will be a fun experiment to see if they can oust my beloved Apex or not!

923b307e8726a221bc91973d5e25f46d.jpg

So, I've played the H1 before (23) and enjoyed it a good bit. I also documented much of that in here, and I stand by it still that IMO they are solid hybrids which do a lot solid, but aren't the longest, lowest spinning, or highest launching. I know that sparked some...interesting...conversation but I stand by it still as a good thing, and not a knock on the clubs.

Fast forward to now when I really think its just time to move to a more forgiving hybrid than my Apex, that I can still get to play to iron replacement distances which is CRITICAL for me and my setup, I don't want or need distance hounds, and I don't say that as being cocky with hitting the ball longer than most, its simply me wanting a 5hy to replace a 5i and a 4hy to replace a 4i. Its the reason the Apex have stayed in my bag so long, but in wanting more forgiveness and still being able to dial them to a specific gap, these were the first to cross my mind. Fast forward to a late night on eBay and a great price (silly good) for both which turned out to basically be new in a great surprise...here we are.

Going to reshaft eventually with Recoil 125's and give them a whirl there too. Will be a fun experiment to see if they can oust my beloved Apex or not!

Nice James! For me this is the best hybrid I have ever hit.

Have fun with your experiment. I love the H1 hybrid a ton and have the 23. I also picked up a H2 19 degree earlier in the year (insane price on Global Golf) and find it even easier (for me) to hit.

Nice James! For me this is the best hybrid I have ever hit.

I'm hoping it gives me the iron replacement aspect in the more forgiving footprint. About to head to the course with them, turned the 25 up to 26.5 to set the gap between the two better and mesh more with my 6i.

Have fun with your experiment. I love the H1 hybrid a ton and have the 23. I also picked up a H2 19 degree earlier in the year (insane price on Global Golf) and find it even easier (for me) to hit.

It'll be fun, and worst case, they end up in a HS player on my teams bag.

I hit the H1 tonight. 21 degree.

Pretty shocked with the results. That thing was a damn laser beam.
They're fun. Not the longest, but they are damn good at what they do. I'm enjoying having them back in the bag.

They're fun. Not the longest, but they are damn good at what they do. I'm enjoying having them back in the bag.

An intriguing response, and one that I pondered while on course. I had the stock speeder in stiff connected and was getting a ton of launch off it, thinking I was probably losing some distance.. But then again, at 21 degrees, aka 4ish iron, do I really need to be maximizing distance? I think laser straight is far more relevant to a golfer at 200+

An intriguing response, and one that I pondered while on course. I had the stock speeder in stiff connected and was getting a ton of launch off it, thinking I was probably losing some distance.. But then again, at 21 degrees, aka 4ish iron, do I really need to be maximizing distance? I think laser straight is far more relevant to a golfer at 200+
It's why I thought of these first when I decided it was time to go with something that was more forgiving than my apex hybos, but not a distance hound. I'm big on iron replacement distance, but with hybrid forgiveness.

It's why I thought of these first when I decided it was time to go with something that was more forgiving than my apex hybos, but not a distance hound. I'm big on iron replacement distance, but with hybrid forgiveness.

Frikkin hybrids with frikkin laser beams attached their frikkin heads lol

Next week or so these will be an after thought for many.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Next week or so these will be an after thought for many.

Possibly, IF there is a tangible difference in performance in the 818's. Sure, the story is there, but as with any other release I want to know more before I jump, I hope THP gets to get hands on with the new line and really provide some deep performance details for everyone.

I know a lot of the excitement is on the 818 release, but I'm really just getting my first real look at the 816 H1 and I've had a great time with it. On course, I've hit it about 10 times, and I've yet to see anything but dead straight flight minus the two times I tried to work the ball (and did).

I really thought the Utility build in the 21 loft was what I would be going with for the foreseeable future, but these make me think hybrids are still fully viable for me.

I know a lot of the excitement is on the 818 release, but I'm really just getting my first real look at the 816 H1 and I've had a great time with it. On course, I've hit it about 10 times, and I've yet to see anything but dead straight flight minus the two times I tried to work the ball (and did).

I really thought the Utility build in the 21 loft was what I would be going with for the foreseeable future, but these make me think hybrids are still fully viable for me.
I am pretty comfortable with the 816 in my back that the 818 will have to be really good to get it out of the bag.

Had 240 put tonight on a Par 5 and it was a no brainer to pull this from the bag. Approach shot left me 10 feet from the pin, about 2 feet from the ballmark.

I just love the complete confidence I have in my H1.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Ordered iRoD shafts from People's Clubs today for these. I'm excited.

I am pretty comfortable with the 816 in my back that the 818 will have to be really good to get it out of the bag.

Had 240 put tonight on a Par 5 and it was a no brainer to pull this from the bag. Approach shot left me 10 feet from the pin, about 2 feet from the ballmark.

I just love the complete confidence I have in my H1.

Dude, that is DEEP.

Dude, that is DEEP.
Just hitting the club really well right now from the fairway and off the tee. It was really effective for me off the tee on some tight holes at Kampen over the weekend.

Just hitting the club really well right now from the fairway and off the tee. It was really effective for me off the tee on some tight holes at Kampen over the weekend.

It's a weapon on short par 4s off the tee and off the deck on gettable par 5s. 240 is no joke. My 21* is about 210 carry and mishits are losing 5-7 yards based on trackman from a few lessons bsck

See signature, absolutely love them!

It's a weapon on short par 4s off the tee and off the deck on gettable par 5s. 240 is no joke. My 21* is about 210 carry and mishits are losing 5-7 yards based on trackman from a few lessons bsck
It is a definite comfort knowing it is a weapon off the fairway and the tee..

Just FYI, I have a 816 H2 19° hybrid for sale in the marketplace for a great deal.

Another good day with the H1 today off the tee and from the fairway. Had a little bit of the case of the pulls today with it, but I was still pretty close to fairways and the distance off the tee didn't leave me any long approach shots.

Used it off the fairway and another time while standing in a bunker. Both times, I hit absolute ropes that had me up near green for a chance at an up and down. Approach on 18 almost resulted in me chipping in for eagle and led to a tap in birdie.

Another good day with the H1 today off the tee and from the fairway. Had a little bit of the case of the pulls today with it, but I was still pretty close to fairways and the distance off the tee didn't leave me any long approach shots.

Used it off the fairway and another time while standing in a bunker. Both times, I hit absolute ropes that had me up near green for a chance at an up and down. Approach on 18 almost resulted in me chipping in for eagle and led to a tap in birdie.

Not to mention that shot on 18 was from? 240 up hill with a crossing wind.

Back