Titleist 816 H1/H2 Review Thread

Some really good info there JB. Thanks!

JB dropping a knowledge bomb right there. Some really good stuff in there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

yeah, 915. I swear I'd go cross eyed trying to remember the names of all the lines.

You arent the only one. So many clubs and numbers.

I can answer it from a technical point of view.
Bias of a club goes to where the weight is. Since the hosel and shaft (plus adapter in some cases) are in the heel, most clubs will have more weight in the toe in order to neutral them out. We sit in meetings every single year (multiple times) with all of the OEMs and discuss this very thing including spending time with the clubs cut in half, scales, etc. I know I have made Fupresti, Ddec and MikeDean sit through a few with me in California. This is considered the actual bias.

In terms of online forums, most are doing one of two things. Regurgitating the info they read somewhere (it may or may not be correct) or using the bias term to discuss the ball flight they are seeing. Neither is right or wrong, just giving you the information. I shy away from posting that or giving that info a lot of times, because it always leads down a rabbit hole, and frankly I am too tired to chase rabbits.

Titleist is usually fairly neutral biased, although the H1 is more draw biased than previous hybrids they have released. If I said hook city, I would be biased....haha, and FWIW I dont think it is (just using an example from above). Its a thin faced hybrid that was designed to go well with their AP1 line of clubs. It is considered by them to be a distance hybrid, but they were quick to point out it wont balloon for higher speed players due to the thinner face and reduced spin. The weight is positioned in a way to keep it below the ball (ideally) to get the ball up, without the increase of spin.

If someone is using it off the tee more than the grass, or their miss is thin, it might not be the perfect hybrid for those things discussed above. If they are looking for more forgiveness than their long irons and like the oversize club head (people seem to either like it or hate it, no in between) this could be for them.

Hope that helps.

Hook city hahaha. We need not I'm guessing.

Great explanation though.

Hook city hahaha. We need not I'm guessing.

Great explanation though.

I was just using an example from above. Had I said that, it would be like a bomb went off sadly...:D
Instead, I will just deal with the tech side of it as explained to me at their office with the cut in half model.

Hope that helps explain things a bit. Dan is right, it can be discussed on a personal level, based on ball flight (as I pointed out). I think offset is done like that a bit too... And FWIW, that gets tied to weight bias as well.

I was just using an example from above. Had I said that, it would be like a bomb went off sadly...:D
Instead, I will just deal with the tech side of it as explained to me at their office with the cut in half model.

Sometimes a deep breath works best instead of pounding keys on the keyboard.

I've mentioned it many times, I dislike most numeric club names.

Sometimes it's simple in situations like titleist where they somewhat correspond with years and remain constant but confusing when done like mizuno. Maybe ping got smart and that's why they moved to just a letter.

Regarding the h1 I'm going to try and do some on course comparison with this and the hogan (both are 21* different shaft options though) I like the setup at address of both and the overall package for both provides confidence but based on my last time out with the hogan I just couldn't get any elevation on shots...also left the h1 at home so couldn't try it with the same lie.

ive tried and played several hybrids over the years starting with ping. Played i25 and g20 but couldn't either straight consistently and was having the tendency to pull them. Then had the g25 and enjoyed that. Demo'd the xr line and they were just long and didn't fit a gap. it didn't dawn on me to play a 5h for 4i and 4h for 3i was going purely off 4=4. The other thing was the tendency for my swing was a pull hook and even when I would hit the somewhat straight they would turn into a big draw. The apex was the first hybrid that I really enjoyed playing and it was the easiest to hit and the height was perfect bit when I switched to the 716 CBs it didn't fit into my gapping. Switched to the h1 and results were very similar to the apex but for my swing I was seeing a higher ball flight that just stayed on line and unlike the apex that once in awhile I would turnover to much this one never did. It was my go to club for several shots during RR and never let me down.

I'd like to try the 25*, hell probably even turned up to 26.5* if I can figure the adapter out.

Need to see if my course can get one in to demo or not.

So I just saw this morning that Titleist is releasing a H1 in 17* my 5 wood that hasn't even came in yet might already be in trouble lol.

So I just saw this morning that Titleist is releasing a H1 in 17* my 5 wood that hasn't even came in yet might already be in trouble lol.

I got the press copy on it on Tuesday. Why did they not release the loft with the others?

I got the press copy on it on Tuesday. Why did they not release the loft with the others?
That I have no idea. I just happened to see a sponsored post about it on Facebook this morning?? Kinda dumb if you ask me but maybe they have their reasons.

I tried out the 915hd 17.5 degree hybrid this past year and it was a lot tougher to launch than a 3 or 5 wood. Almost takes the place of a driving iron.

I tried out the 915hd 17.5 degree hybrid this past year and it was a lot tougher to launch than a 3 or 5 wood. Almost takes the place of a driving iron.
That actually excites me lol. I did play a 712u 3 iron until I hit the H1 so if a lower lofted H1 would be same performance but lower launched for that particular slot in the bag I think I'd really enjoy it.

Interesting about the 17. I'm super intrigued by it but I just don't think it would work for me.

I saw the release about a week ago. I am disappointed since I just recently purchased the 19 and dialed it down to 18. Would have bought the 17 if it was available when I purchased. I really love the club since it works great off the tee, fairway, and rough.

Another solid outing with these today. Highlight was with the 23 from rigjt in front of a hazard with waist high gorse where I needed it to launch quickly and high. Perfect high fade of about 165 yards right down the middle of the fairway.

Other than a chunky monkey shot today off the tee the h1 did everything I asked it to do. It's a great option in the bag for awkward lies where 3w would probably end up in a lost stroke. Confidence with this is extremely high. Even with having a wonky swing with Thetis end of my bag today when I pulled the h1 I knew I was going to get good results.

I liked the way my 21 degree performed so much I bought the 23 and threw my 4 iron out of the bag. After a couple a rounds this week I could not be more happier with this decision. They are just so easy to hit.

I saw the release about a week ago. I am disappointed since I just recently purchased the 19 and dialed it down to 18. Would have bought the 17 if it was available when I purchased. I really love the club since it works great off the tee, fairway, and rough.
Yeah I could see why that would be a bummer dude. Come spring time my 5 wood will have a short leash I think lol.

I just picked up a mint 816 21* at a closeout sale at the local Golfsmith. Mint condition demo club for around $140. What a score!

Last edited:
Hit a 23* the other day during lunch break... holy heck. This thing launched high and was extremely easy to hit. Hard ponder on if I want to swap the X2H out for one of these. Really liked everything about it.

I love the 816. Very easy to hit and impressive performance, especially into the wind.

I see the 17* available on the website. Any idea when they're going to be in stores?

Back