Titleist 915D2 Driver Review Thread

Sorry for the delay SF.

Here's what Titleist says:

I'm sure some folks, especially the awesome ones that play their golf online, will construe that as draw biased. Personally, as a person that draws the ball I'd say that is plays relatively neutral for me. I move it a little left with the occasional push in the standard setting.

Thanks. That puts my mind at ease and keeps the ponder alive. I never have knows Titleist to set their clubs up to prevent slices like many other OEMs have done in the past. I am a definitive right to left player and don't want anything to make that ball flight even more pronounced.

I've actually got a couple draw biased drivers at home, one of which I've hit in the last week (PING G30 SF Tech) and they aren't really comparable in that regard from what I see on the range at least.

Can always adjust this one as well, though there isn't anything telling me I need to do that at the moment. I'm happy with flight and direction in the neutral setting so far.

Got fitted a few weeks ago, went with the D2 in 9.5 with the rogue shaft. Gained 20 yards from my old 913 D3 and a tighter dispersion. Lunch angle went up and spin down for me, now I wasn't fitted into my old driver so this will have a big influence on my numbers. The noise was a lot different to the 913 series, a louder tinnier sound but nothing that I can't get used too. Have ordered the driver and now just have to wait for the realese date, can't wait!

I've actually got a couple draw biased drivers at home, one of which I've hit in the last week (PING G30 SF Tech) and they aren't really comparable in that regard from what I see on the range at least.

Can always adjust this one as well, though there isn't anything telling me I need to do that at the moment. I'm happy with flight and direction in the neutral setting so far.

THIS, is good stuff.

I wasn't sure what to expect with the stock shaft, but I'll say again my flight is certainly high enough with the 10.5° head.

Here's a little info from the TT forum btw. I didn't know a ton about the shaft other than it was really expensive (or a version of it was).

Thanks for the question regarding which Rogue shafts will be available in 915. There seems to be some confusion out there about Rogue so let me clear a few things up.

Titleist will offer the Rogue Silver 110MSI 60/70 and Rogue Black 95MSI 60/70/80 shafts both stock and through custom order for no up-charge. These shafts will be available in X,S,R flexes (some combinations are custom order).

Titleist will also offer the Rogue Silver 125MSI 60/70 shaft in TX flex via custom order for an up-charge (suggested retail up-charge of $200, so suggested retail driver price of $699).
The Rogue Silver 110MSI and Rogue Black 95MSI shafts are not yet listed on the Aldila website. They will be listed and commercially available for sale through Aldila around November 1st.
The Rogue Silver 125MSI shaft is available from Aldila.

All Rogue shafts (125MSI, 110MSI, 95MSI) use aerospace grade graphitic fiber which provides them with excellent feel and control. The higher the MSI number, the stiffer the material. Very few players need the 125MSI material. Very few players will be able to tell the difference between the 125MSI and the 110/95MSI shafts. Many shafts currently in play on Tour use fiber in the 65MSI range.

The 125MSI material is very expensive and limited in supply. That is why Aldila is only selling a limited number of shafts for a super premium price.

All the Rogue shafts that Titleist offers in the 915 (125MSI, 110MSI and 95MSI) are being seeded on the Tour. Said another way, they are all "real deal" Tour shafts, not proprietary designs made just for Titleist. These are all premium, high performance golf shafts and we are happy to be able to partner with Aldila to make them available in the 915 product.

Sorry for the long note. I hope that clears things up!

Thanks Hawk, that certainly explains it the best way i can see.

Friend just sent me a text. Picked up 30 yards of carry over his 910 that he was fitted for.....290 average carry...I'm going to be a long way behind him in the fairway.

Friend just sent me a text. Picked up 30 yards of carry over his 910 that he was fitted for.....290 average carry...I'm going to be a long way behind him in the fairway.

Whoa. THat guy should start looking at taking his talent on the road. 290 carry is absolutely crazy long. Guessing his 910 was ill fitting or something?

Whoa. THat guy should start looking at taking his talent on the road. 290 carry is absolutely crazy long. Guessing his 910 was ill fitting or something?

Different flight completely. He only gained 6 yards average in the end. He always claimed he liked a low flight, but finally saw that the numbers don't lie today and carry is king.

He was scratch for a while. Good junior golfer when we were in high school, but just not the all around game to go to the next level.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

I've played a few nine hole rounds with this in the bag now. The last two I hit it directly against the CG Black on each hole. Also, so range time doing the same.

First, I'll address sound again since it's apparently not just a point of conversation here, but even on Titleist's forum.

I hit it against a few other drivers I've been playing recently (G30 and CG Black) and would agree that yes, the D2 is louder with center impact. It's not so hollow-ish sounding like they are, so I guess from a preference standpoint I'd still say I prefer and actually like what I'm hearing with the D2. But I figure if we hooked up a decibel meter it would be louder. I will also say that at my last range session after hitting drivers for about 30 minutes I walked down and spoke with the two people next to me and asked without mentioning names/brands, "Did you notice anything unusual or annoying about the sound of the drivers I was hitting?" Both people said no. Then I explained why I was asking. That's a tiny sample of course, but it was something I was curious about b/c I do want to make sure I've got bases covered.

We'll close that issue as far as I'm concerned, because in reading on the subject quite a bit the consensus seems to be that it's louder than the 913 series and people either like or dislike that. You'll have to make that call. As far as I'm concerned with the D2 only - it's a fine sounding driver.

Head has some heft to it, but will toss it on the SW scale to measure as soon as I remember.

Next - distance and ball flight.

I'll say again my height with the 10.5° head and Rogue Silver is mid/high and penetrating on what I consider my good swings. It's shown the ability to carry well for me on courses that aren't giving up much roll (based on my first outing), but on courses that are firmer I'm getting some nice action after the ball lands. I will refrain from giving out distance numbers, but I did hit some balls that I'd consider far the last two times out and I'd guess they had about 20-25
yards of roll. I think with the swings I put on the ball it's possible I could have picked up some more carry with a little more height, but I'm going to reserve all the technical judgements until I get it on the monitor.

Finally - forgiveness

In my estimation, it's a forgiving driver. At least for my miss. I won't call it the next XHot because I'm not an idiot, but I will say it's forgiving enough to be played by somebody that isn't hitting center all the time. Best way I can anecdotally convey that is with two back to back shots I took yesterday, both of which were my classic high-toe hook. Certain drivers will exaggerate that miss for me in varying degrees, but I'm not seeing anything negative here. It's something that shows itself almost immediately if it's going to be an issue. Again, two back to back swings with the same miss, one with the CG Black and the other with the 915 D2. The CG Black is what I think most would agree is a forgiving driver and the difference came out to around 3-4 yards.

16ef5b0ea915acde4cffeb4d116e2e8f.jpg

I've had a few low face misses, and the predominant ball flight there is a lower fade that seems to consistently find the fairway, though shorter in distance.

Next step is some range testing with the monitor and probably another round. Still haven't bothered with the settings yet, though if I were to I'd consider maybe bumping up loft a click or so.

Impressions so far are favorable on a personal level. It's not head and shoulders above anything I've hit in the last two years, but not much is for me. It's one that I'd play though and that list is certainly not that long.

Pretty great info there, Hawk. Can't wait to get out and compare this to the 913D2 myself.

Also, related to the Rogue - if the MSI number they are quoting are actually in the MSI unit (i.e. - millions of pounds per square inch), then all of the Rogue shafts are using pretty bloody expensive fiber. At my company, 65 MSI is considered a specialty fiber that is only really needed for extremely high stiffness space and military applications. I'm guessing that when they are quoting modulus numbers like that, they are referring to the modulus of the laminate with the bonding material, not just the fiber - because as far as I know, there isn't a fiber in existence with a modulus of 125 MSI.

Anyways, little engineering tangent there, but it gives you an idea of how redonkulously stiff 125 MSI is.

Appreciate the review. Nodded my head in agreement with your" head and shoulders" 2 year performance comment but on the other hand in the wonderful and sometimes wacky world of internet golfers stay tuned. Sounds like a solid driver.

Great writeup, Hawk. The 915 D2 and D3 are on my radar, so I'll be following along.

Pretty great info there, Hawk. Can't wait to get out and compare this to the 913D2 myself.

Also, related to the Rogue - if the MSI number they are quoting are actually in the MSI unit (i.e. - millions of pounds per square inch), then all of the Rogue shafts are using pretty bloody expensive fiber. At my company, 65 MSI is considered a specialty fiber that is only really needed for extremely high stiffness space and military applications. I'm guessing that when they are quoting modulus numbers like that, they are referring to the modulus of the laminate with the bonding material, not just the fiber - because as far as I know, there isn't a fiber in existence with a modulus of 125 MSI.

Anyways, little engineering tangent there, but it gives you an idea of how redonkulously stiff 125 MSI is.

Even then, you know most of us will need the x-stiff 125 MSI model that costs $700.......it's the internet, it has to be true.

Even then, you know most of us will need the x-stiff 125 MSI model that costs $700.......it's the internet, it has to be true.

Haha yep, #internetgolfer FTW

Got fitted yesterday. tried all the shafts in the D2 head and was getting 242 carry, same as my bio cell. I was just about to give up when the fitter handed me the X stiff rogue silver and 8.5 head. Then i gained 18 yards carry. Ordered immediately.

Anyone taste test 915 d2 vs. G30? On a machine, fitted well?
Thinking this is where I'm headed and would live to be biased prior to hitting them :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Haven't hit them against each other on a launch monitor. I'm a little behind on that for a couple reasons, but hope to get that done soon.

I have played the G30 SF Tech for a number of rounds and I don't hit it nearly as high as this one, which for me is a negative. Different loft heads though.

Core Composites, Inc. offers a 125+msi prepreg. I assure you it's not cheap.

I ran into a local fitter yesterday and we started talking about the 2015 releases.
He said that so far the 915 has been a disappointment and most people are getting better results with something else. He said it just wasn't generating comparable ball speeds to other heads at the same swing speeds.

I sure hope this isn't true because I want to love this one.

I ran into a local fitter yesterday and we started talking about the 2015 releases.
He said that so far the 915 has been a disappointment and most people are getting better results with something else. He said it just wasn't generating comparable ball speeds to other heads at the same swing speeds.

That is consistent with what I saw when I demo'd it. The D2 was very comparable to my R1 in terms of distance and dispersion (even though the R1 is cut .75"). There wasn't a single thing wrong with the D2 - nice driver all the way around - but there was no compelling reason to move to it at all.

Last edited:

Well this should save me some money then. :alien:

In all seriousness, I don't like hearing this. I enjoy Titleist equipment, so I'd like to see this line do well. Question - is that specific to the driver or the whole line? Reviews seem to be strong on here for the hybrid especially, and for the fairways as well, as long as you like a mid flight.

Well that's a downer. This was at the top of my demo list with other 2015 equipment. Really disappointing to hear. Won't stop me from having a go though...

I personally haven't seen any distance related issues with it. It's been as long or longer than some others for me on the course on center impacts. Not to say I'm doubting that though. I don't think the D2 itself a high-spin player's dream club.

Well that's a downer. This was at the top of my demo list with other 2015 equipment. Really disappointing to hear. Won't stop me from having a go though...
Its just one man sharing what he has seen so far and by no means should deter anyone from trying it.

I'm hoping I see results more in line with what Hawk has seen.

Back