Ugh....broke a window

Let me ask you this.
You go to a friends house and park in their driveway. When you are leaving you hit drive instead of reverse and drive right into their garage door.

Should you offer to pay for it or their deductible?

In that case yes, that is not a reasonably expected occurrence with where they live

That’s a car accident man we’re talking about property damage from an errant golf shot. Two completely different things. I think we should stay on task here we’re getting into all kind of muddy water.
Stop. Its about risk and position of risk.

The other thing people have a hard time understanding is let’s say you live in a three-story condo you’re on the top floor you’re gone for the summer and you’re hot water tank, springs a leak and floods the condo below you.

Well, the armchair quarterback would say it’s your fault you clean it up and fix it but no, the peoples insurance below you covers the cost of all repairs.

Sorry folks that’s just the way insurance works.
Actually not always. This happened in our previous beach house and you bet your ass I went down and offered to assist in cleanup or pay for anything ruined.

It’s about nothing but doing the right thing and you know the right thing to do. Don’t be a weasel or a cheap sob. Man up

This here's one heck of a sleepless night. Not sure what I'd do to be honest.

It’s about nothing but doing the right thing and you know the right thing to do. Don’t be a weasel or a cheap sob. Man up

With all respect, and i mean this sincerely because i genuinely like everyone here....i just don't really agree (i'm sorry....i'm sorry @Canadan )

For all we know they negotiated the price of the house down because it's right off a fairway, just like i did when i got my house right off a country highway.

I understand being a nice person, and it's a fine line. Maybe i'm wrong here, i've been wrong before.....but nice people can be suckers sometimes too

Like, the 20 yr old that drove through my fence, should i make her work all summer to pay for my fence when i got a discount on the house because of it's location? Aren't i kinda the jerk there?

Again ....sorry , sorry to everyone.....it's just how i see it based on personal experience.

I'm going to start calling errant tee shots "natural disasters" based on your responses lmao
I want to change my forum name to Natural Disaster!

I am with the general consensus that golfers should take responsibility for their golf balls as a matter of right and decency. I will say, however, that the way to do so is important. I would admit fault, but not responsibility. So I would phrase it as "I understand I hit your window, and I apologize. It was not intentional. I am happy to pay a reasonable cost to replace it so you are not inconvenienced anymore than necessary, and so that we can resolve this matter amicably."

That is closer to an inadmissible settlement offer than simply saying "I will pay for your damages" without qualification. that could lead to assumption of liability for things you would otherwise not be liable for.

Whoo! Lit a fire storm in here today! 🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥

As I pointed out in the OP, I exchanged info with the owner who was polite enough (given the circumstances) and she said she would reach out after getting a quote. (Despite my name actually being Richard, I was not being one in this instance. ;) ) We left it at that I finished playing my round. I was just more bummed for 1) my sorry a** shot, 2) their inconvenience and 3) the amount of $$ I could be out of.

Anyway, I just thought I'd pick the brain trust here and see what anyone else's experience may have been in a similar instance.

Carry on!

This won't be the popular answer, I'd maybe split the deductible and that'd be about it. Honestly if I moved to live on a course or near a range I'd also know the risks, I'd also be willing and expecting one day to pay for a window or two soon enough.

You're not responsible for it, the insurance will take care of it but if you feel obligated to pay something then do it.

Whoo! Lit a fire storm in here today! 🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥

As I pointed out in the OP, I exchanged info with the owner who was polite enough (given the circumstances) and she said she would reach out after getting a quote. (Despite my name actually being Richard, I was not being one in this instance. ;) ) We left it at that I finished playing my round. I was just more bummed for 1) my sorry a** shot, 2) their inconvenience and 3) the amount of $$ I could be out of.

Anyway, I just thought I'd pick the brain trust here and see what anyone else's experience may have been in a similar instance.

Carry on!
How big of a window was it?

It's the right thing to do to make a reasonable offer. With a reasonable person it will be a simple transaction. If the person were not reasonable, you're not being a "weasel or cheap sob" by standing your legal ground.

Let me ask you this.
You go to a friends house and park in their driveway. When you are leaving you hit drive instead of reverse and drive right into their garage door.

Should you offer to pay for it or their deductible?
Your insurance should pay. His wont pay unless he says he doesn't know who hit it and files a false police report stating such.

How big of a window was it?
Honestly don't know. The house(s) are pretty far up the side of the fairway and the owners came halfway down the hillside to get my attention and exchange contact info. (Also had other playing partners, so wanted to keep it short and to the point.) Dumb move on my part in hindsight.

Not if there is a sign on the course that states something to the effect of "golfers are responsible for all damage to adjoining properties."
Actually, those signs are wrong and worthless, and meaningless as well. It’s an effort for the course to get out of responsibility.

Saw a TV news story on this sort of thing it centered around a sign at a garage, saying they’re not responsible for loss or damage while one is parked. Well, actually they are, but signs like that make others assume they are not “because there was a sign.”

Yeah, you sound like a big man until you are presented with a $10,000 bill for a hurricane window. You’ll be begging all this should go through your insurance.

Yeah, you sound like a big man until you are presented with a $10,000 bill for a hurricane window. You’ll be begging all this should go through your insurance.
Stop, thats what a deductible is for. I shouldn’t make someone else eat that just because the letter of the law.

Pay to play IMO. Don't know if your insurance would pay but probably cheaper in the long run to pay yourself. Hope it's a small cheap window.
I carry a nice umbrella policy that covers any misfortune not covered under my car, boat or homeowners insurance. But they aren't going to pay because its the right thing to do, they will only pay if I am liable for the damages. I play no courses where houses along the fairway predate the course, therefore they would scoff at the idea they should pay.

To quote @Canadan this is likely what I’d do.

Just as the angry dude at the house should be thrilled that you even bothered to stop. If he was a dick to me, I'd probably remind him what the law was while still being willing to pay.

At the very very least I’d offer to pay the deductible. I would 100% NOT stiff them.

Last edited:
Stop, thats what a deductible is for. I shouldn’t make someone else eat that just because the letter of the law.
I wasn’t responding to you I was responding to the guy who said you’re a weasel if you don’t pay for it all yourself.

I wasn’t responding to you I was responding to the guy who said you’re a weasel if you don’t pay for it all yourself.
It’s a forum thread where everybody is speaking and allowed to speak. The strawman gigantic bill is nothing more than that

It’s a forum thread where everybody is speaking and allowed to speak. The strawman gigantic bill is nothing more than that
But you copied me in on my response to someone else. So move along.

Back