Ugh....broke a window

It will never cease to baffle me when I read through threads like this and see the perspective that the person who did the damage is completely innocent.

The golf course didn't hit the ball.
The homeowner didn't hit the ball.

Like if I sneeze while walking through a parking lot and bash my cart against a car, it's their fault for being there.
You do not understand the law or the responsibilities no one saying that they are not innocent. Usually when you buy a home on a golf course, your HOA or your homeowners insurance agent, will let you know you are assuming the risks involved and that includes errant tee shots.

It’s no different than the reason I have to pay higher insurance in Florida, because I own a home in harms Way I am assuming the possible outcomes of a hurricane and therefore my insurance rates are higher.

It’s a part of the insurance policy the golfer is not liable unless he did it intentionally.

Like it or not that’s the way it reads

it's a silly debate if you're going to ignore the comparison logic.

There is one of one scenario where I will accept a golfer claiming it's someone else's fault that they did damage to property: and that's if on your downswing your bonehead playing partner throws something at you or shouts at you.

Other than that, it's your fault, hard stop. You pay to play.
What if a baseball player hits a foul ball that breaks a window. Same?

I'm not at all interested in what the law says.
Basic human decency says you make right what you damaged.

Just as the angry dude at the house should be thrilled that you even bothered to stop. If he was a dick to me, I'd probably remind him what the law was while still being willing to pay.
Yep. I broke one a few years ago. Didn't know I did as we didn't hear it but the lady came out to the fence asking if someone hit a "soccer ball". I was using the Truvis and knew it was mine and said yes I did. I gave her my info and got hers so that I could pay for it. I called and she said let me check as it might be covered under warranty. I called her a few days later and she said it was covered and not to worry about it. I was ok with that because I at least offered.

Similar thing happened to my dad. He broke one, we heard this one, and the guys was just getting home and my dad waved him to the fence to let him know. My dad called him to see how much it was and the guy said "it wasn't that much don't worry about it". My dad still felt bad so he asked one of the girls at the club what he drank. He ended up buying him a bottle of the scotch he drank and left it on the back porch with a $100 under it.

You do not understand the law or the responsibilities no one saying that they are not innocent. Usually when you buy a home on a golf course, your HOA or your homeowners insurance agent, will let you know you are assuming the risks involved and that includes errant tee shots.

It’s no different than the reason I have to pay higher insurance in Florida, because I own a home in harms Way I am assuming the possible outcomes of a hurricane and therefore my insurance rates are higher.

It’s a part of the insurance policy the golfer is not liable unless he did it intentionally.

none of this is a reflection on human decency.
and I'm familiar with the laws on golf courses, thanks.

also, comparing billing a golfer to billing a hurricane is an interesting avenue.

Sadly that is something that could happen. It’s why I carry different coverages that should help me in this type of instance.

It’s entirely scary and possible that you could cause major harm to another being while out there

It is, but there have been cases where people have been killed by errant shots and the golfer is not generally held liable unless some sort of gross negligence is found. It's like suing someone in the NFL because you got run over on the sidelines. The player is responsible for the movement of their body. How are you (or the person tackling you) not liable for running over the innocent person standing on the sideline? Because of assumed risk.

I know i am not in the majority here but still.....

They bought a house on a golf course, houses on golf courses along the fairways typically cost less than those in areas where they won't get pelted by balls. People buy these houses knowing they will get struck by balls occasionally. They got a better price on the house, and their insurance will cover the cost of the window.

If you buy a house in a flood zone, you're gonna deal with floods. That's why the house was cheaper.

I'd apologize, tell them how sorry you are, be nice....but that's it. Their insurance will cover it.

Sorry everyone, just how i feel

It’s not black and white.
As an example. Let’s say you hit the mail man driving their cart and not the house. The house that you are in front of insurance isn’t covering that. It’s about decency. I don’t want someone having to pay their deductible for my actions.

You can continue to speak about the law, we all know it, some of us just feel otherwise

, houses on golf courses along the fairways typically cost less than those in areas where they won't get pelted by balls.
That must be location dependent because certainly not in golf heavy states in the US

If I hit a baseball and break a window? Yeah dude, I'm definitely in the wrong.
Really?

Ok what if they park just past the CF wall and you hit a homerun, break the windshield. Still?

I know i am not in the majority here but still.....

They bought a house on a golf course, houses on golf courses along the fairways typically cost less than those in areas where they won't get pelted by balls. People buy these houses knowing they will get struck by balls occasionally. They got a better price on the house, and their insurance will cover the cost of the window.

If you buy a house in a flood zone, you're gonna deal with floods. That's why the house was cheaper.

I'd apologize, tell them how sorry you are, be nice....but that's it. Their insurance will cover it.

Sorry everyone, just how i feel
don't you think that apologizing for your opinion is sort of... representative... of what the opinion is?

That must be location dependent because certainly not in golf heavy states in the US

It certainly could be, my home course is on a real estate development and the houses along the fairways i can say for sure went for less than those in other less tracked areas.

This may be different in other communities, i can concede that i don't know every market

Really?

Ok what if they park just past the CF wall and you hit a homerun, break the windshield. Still?
When Phil hits a fan and signs a glove it’s a nice gesture. If he hit someone and snubbed them and said “assumed risk, move” would you think less of that person?

Difference between law and doing what some consider right

don't you think that apologizing for your opinion is sort of... representative... of what the opinion is?

I retract my apology then. I wouldn't pay for the window, but i would be nice. I think if you don't want to replace the occasional window with insurance, you shouldn't buy property on a golf course.

I realize some may disagree. but i'll put my money where my mouth is , i don't live on a golf course but i have had damage to my property done by people who i did not blame, and i didn't ask them to pay

When Phil hits a fan and signs a glove it’s a nice gesture. If he hit someone and snubbed them and said “assumed risk, move” would you think less of that person?

Difference between law and doing what some consider right
Agreed.

The guy who got pelted shouldn't be mad or expect compensation. But it's nice when it comes.

It’s not black and white.
As an example. Let’s say you hit the mail man driving their cart and not the house. The house that you are in front of insurance isn’t covering that. It’s about decency. I don’t want someone having to pay their deductible for my actions.

You can continue to speak about the law, we all know it, some of us just feel otherwise
I’m only talking about about an errant shot, breaking a window. I remember my insurance agent at our home in Florida and here specifically telling me yeah your rates are gonna be a little bit more. You’ve chose to build a home in a hazardous area.

I’m only talking simple property damage like a window or cracking the stucco on the side of a house. More complicated issues regarding personal injury. I have no idea but I do know a lot about golf balls hitting my house.

I'll give an personal example here, i live on a corner off a road where the speed limit is like 80km/hr. It's in the country and there's very little lights, the road i am off of is basically a highway....we love our house, but the fact that it's off a road like this makes it worth a little less. People don't like living off of high speed roadways like this in the suburb

2 times in the 5 years i've been here a car has slid off the road in icy conditions and gone through our fence. One time they offered to pay, another time they didn't. I got a better price on this house because it's off a 80km speed limit road. If it was tucked away in the suburb it woulda been like 100K more at least. Both times i either used insurance or paid for the fence repairs on my own (the girl who offered to pay was 20yrs old, and a sweetheart, i refused her offer)

If you buy a house right off the fairway, this is just part of the package IMO.

I'll give an personal example here, i live on a corner off a road where the speed limit is like 80km/hr. It's in the country and there's very little lights, the road i am off of is basically a highway....we love our house, but the fact that it's off a road like this makes it worth a little less. People don't like living off of high speed roadways like this in the suburb

2 times in the 5 years i've been here a car has slid off the road in icy conditions and gone through our fence. One time they offered to pay, another time they didn't. I got a better price on this house because it's off a 80km speed limit road. If it was tucked away in the suburb it woulda been like 100K more at least. Both times i either used insurance or paid for the fence repairs on my own (the girl who offered to pay was 20yrs old, and a sweetheart, i refused her offer)

If you buy a house right off the fairway, this is just part of the package IMO.
Let me ask you this.
You go to a friends house and park in their driveway. When you are leaving you hit drive instead of reverse and drive right into their garage door.

Should you offer to pay for it or their deductible?

The other thing people have a hard time understanding is let’s say you live in a three-story condo you’re on the top floor you’re gone for the summer and you’re hot water tank, springs a leak and floods the condo below you.

Well, the armchair quarterback would say it’s your fault you clean it up and fix it but no, the peoples insurance below you covers the cost of all repairs.

Sorry folks that’s just the way insurance works.

Let me ask you this.
You go to a friends house and park in their driveway. When you are leaving you hit drive instead of reverse and drive right into their garage door.

Should you offer to pay for it or their deductible?
That’s a car accident man we’re talking about property damage from an errant golf shot. Two completely different things. I think we should stay on task here we’re getting into all kind of muddy water.

Back