UST Mamiya Recoil Shafts Review Thread

Yes definitely, Normally before the recoils I would only play or practice once a week, and that was partially due to the pain I would have in my wrists and elbows. It would take 4-5 days before I would feel good enough to swing the clubs again.

So do you think the shafts are a better fit for you or do you think you are hitting better shots due to being able to hit more balls?

CS sometimes with graphite shafts the heads tend to stand out or have the feel of one solid club. What would say stands out to you?

CS have any stingers out there today? I know when it's cold and windy I tend to get some of them. Obviously graphite is going to limit them, but I'm interested to see how they felt on bad shots during this time of weather conditions. Also how was the ball flight throughout the round. Any get really high up in to the wind and did you try to keep some low or hit knockdowns during the round? Great to hear that after this week of constant golf that you are no pain.

I really went after one with the 5i and hit it all the way out on the toe, it definitely let me know what I did wrong but it didn't sting at all and I know for sure with the steel shafts I would have been in some pain after a miss like that.

I had a few shots into the wind that I didn't want to flight down, I went up 2 clubs for those, the ball flight looked good they didn't balloon and drop. They seemed to cut through the wind pretty well.

I hit some knockdowns with the 5-6 and pw. With the 5 and 6 I did it to keep them under the wind, they only got up about 25 feet off the deck flew pretty far and rolled out nice. The pw knockdown shot was a first for me, I had an approach shot from under a row of trees, 85 yards and I thought why not go for it! I hit it and it stayed very low, it looked good and made the distance I wanted it to go but was about 10 yards left of the green.

CS very nice updates man.

So do you think the shafts are a better fit for you or do you think you are hitting better shots due to being able to hit more balls?

I definitely think its the shafts being a better fit. I had good results from the first time out with them.

CS sometimes with graphite shafts the heads tend to stand out or have the feel of one solid club. What would say stands out to you?

I don't feel that any one club feels better then another with these shafts.

The one thing that really stands out for me (and this is a good thing) is that during the round the thought that I'm using a graphite shaft never comes into my mind. The only time I think about them being graphite is when I'm done and don't have any aches and pains.

Well I got out and got to hit another large bucket of balls today with the recoils, courses are still closed because of this stupid weather. I am hoping to get out next week to the actual course and get some good feedback.

I think I am finally getting my old swing back and knocking the winter rust off. I had a pretty good day swinging the recoils and am still impressed with these shafts. Today I just focused on making good swings and seeing the results in regards to dispersion. I just say I was really happy with what I saw.

I warmed up and then started hitting the 7i. I tried to laser some distances but it was hard to gauge since they were just poles in the ground and no flags or anything to target. I think the pole I focused on was about 170 so we will go with that. So like I said I was focused on making a good swing and seeing what happened. What happened was very pleasing to me, carry of about 170 with almost every swing and dispersion was great. No more than 15 yards from the furthest left shot to the furthest right shot.

I have always struggled with consistency in my iron game and I know these Recoils are going to really help with that. I was missing some on the heel side and didn't see much distance loss or a lot of side spin at all. Flight was perfect, a nice mid-high penetrating flight and then just sat down nicely. I just recently switched from S300s to KBS tours and really liked the flight of the tours better. The Recoils remind me a lot of the flight of the tours, maybe slightly higher, which makes me very happy and gives me a lot of confidence.

I wasn't really trying to flight these much, as that was not my focus today, but I did try a bit with the 9i. Wasn't very successful but that was more me because I was getting tired and my back was sore. So I will chalk that up to the Indian and not the arrow. I have no pain in my wrists or elbows or shoulders. Which is encouraging because I usually get a little discomfort in my wrists after a bucket of balls. I will note that I did try to hit some thin shots and fat ones to see the effect on my arms, and happy to say there was very minimal effect. There was a little vibration but considerably less of it then regular steel shafts.

All in all it was a great day and look forward to getting out with these very soon. As always if you are interested in something specific feel free to ask and I am sure I can help out. Thanks for reading.

Toppdogg.

You say you like the flight of the KBS Tours and mentioned these to be higher than the KBS' s?? Is that correct?

Tapping away on my S3

Toppdogg.

You say you like the flight of the KBS Tours and mentioned these to be higher than the KBS' s?? Is that correct?

Tapping away on my S3

I would say they are a little higher yes. Not by much and in no way do I lose distance at all. But I do think these are a little higher and come down a little softer.

I would say they are a little higher yes. Not by much and in no way do I lose distance at all. But I do think these are a little higher and come down a little softer.

This has me very excited because I love the KBS flight.

Just got back from a 2-day/72 hole golf trip in Williamsburg, VA. The first 18 I played with my XHP PX95 6.0 setup. The rest of the trip was with my UST Tour Recoil 125 F4 setup.

Intimidating?

stonehouse_zps9e3f1b16.jpg

Not with XHP + Tour Recoils.

8 ft bird.

Extremely impressed with these recoils.

Will write more later.

Depending on the model these can run pretty high. Prices below are what I have been quoted

600 series--$40
800 series--$60-80
Prototypes--$110-$125
$125 per iron shaft?

Wow. Never mind not interested in the least. Cost 1.5 times the price of a set of premium irons? No thanks. They'll have to find a way to bring that price down before graphite in irons are an option for the masses.

Wow. Never mind not interested in the least. Cost 1.5 times the price of a set of premium irons? No thanks. They'll have to find a way to bring that price down before graphite in irons are an option for the masses.

I get your point but at the same time premium shafts for drivers or hybrids are 200 to over 1000 dollars a piece, so $125 for a state of the art premium shaft iron shaft really isn't out of line in comparison.

I get your point but at the same time premium shafts for drivers or hybrids are 200 to over 1000 dollars a piece, so $125 for a state of the art premium shaft iron shaft really isn't out of line in comparison.

Yea, perhaps I was a bit harsh. It's compounded because you have to buy so many, and a premium set of shafts from TT would cost you what 1 UST recoil would.

Yea, perhaps I was a bit harsh. It's compounded because you have to buy so many, and a premium set of shafts from TT would cost you what 1 UST recoil would.

I think it goes back to what one needs. We change club heads like its our job, change drivers searching for the holy grail. What if a shaft change in irons changed one's entire game? It appears for some these might do that.

Don't get me wrong I would really like to try these. Perhaps I'll find a used set of pulls in the future.

I think it goes back to what one needs. We change club heads like its our job, change drivers searching for the holy grail. What if a shaft change in irons changed one's entire game? It appears for some these might do that.

I think this is happening for me! I've never hit my irons as good as I am with the recoil's.

Zenger I agree with Josh here. Also think of it like this. Say you are 40/50/60 years old and for whatever reason, you cannot play the game anymore. You used to be a good player but you now can't hit balls without very bad pain. Possibly arthritis.

So instead of getting cheap graphite or an insert that dampens the pain but does not get rid of it, you quit the game because cheap graphite does not allow you to play how you want and the insert does not dampen the pain enough

Or, instead of buying a new set of irons each year, you take that money and reshaft last years irons with these shafts. They allow you to have the same flight that the best steel shafts do and at the same time stop the damaging vibrations from destroying your joints. YOu can now play the game that you love again. Practice just as hard so that your game stays sharp. Play the game that you love the way you want to play.

These shafts or this quality of shaft will eventually be the norm. Years from now you will be able to get something similar to these at a better price point. But for now, this is what you pay for high quality graphite shafts. For me, it's worth it.

And just so I can use an example, I tried to save money in the last set of irons that I purchased which were the MP-H4's. I got shafts with an insert in them and also with grips that were supposedly dampening. Well they simply don't work well enough. My hands and wrists blew up after each session. Graphite allows me to still play the game that I love in the way that I need to. That is a game changer or maybe a better word would be game saver.

I think often times, golfers place a premium on Driver shafts, and rarely think twice about what an iron shaft can offer. I know for me and the Tour 90 thread last summer, as well as the results being seen in this thread, that iron shafts can completely transform ones game. IMO, it's well worth the price if it lowers the scores and changes your approach to the game.

I'm sure there are many people like yourself that would pay and would benefit from them. And I agree with everything you've said. I'm just impatient and would like to try em now but won't pay that price, but then again I don't have arthritis if I did that just might change my tune

tapp tapp tapp tappatalk

In reality, we'd all go get fitted and see what the numbers say. There's no guarantee these would be the best graphites for everyone.

Then we'd decide if the resultant difference is worth the cost.

You got that right, shafts are the most ignored piece in my bag, and I'm culprit number one when it comes to that for sure!

Here's to hoping these are offered as a stock graphite option some day, like the Programs and Adams. My left wrist can thank me then!

Back