Was told my tee time was given away before the actual tee time...thoughts?

I'm going to play devils advocate here, (I do expect to some lash back, but here goes anyway)....
Where I play, the starter is not near the 1st or 10th tees... with both being about 1 minute away riding (and if your walking its more like 3 or 4 minutes).

I think the key words(s) here are "Tee Time", that means someone in the group should be hitting a ball at 9:10 AM. If you check in with the starter at 9:08, by the time you get to the tee, get settled, etc... your teeing off at 9:15 or later (at best).

I have shown up to courses before and been told my original time of 9:30 has become 10:00 because two or three earlier groups were late, etc. I don't necessarily think that's fair for the other groups or the golf course for that matter as they have to deal with multiple frustrated customers.

Now, with that stated, if this policy is not told to you or is part of the agreement when you made your tee time then the course is equally to blame. But, even without notification of a 15 minute policy, IMHO, you're late if your checking in with the starter at 9:08 for a 9:10 Tee Time and adding to downstream impact.

I would have walked back inside and demanded to talk to whoever was in charge. You paid for spot and we're there on time.

I agree. If the answer is no, take your money someplace else and make sure everyone knows about it.

I'm going to play devils advocate here, (I do expect to some lash back, but here goes anyway)....
Where I play, the starter is not near the 1st or 10th tees... with both being about 1 minute away riding (and if your walking its more like 3 or 4 minutes).

I think the key words(s) here are "Tee Time", that means someone in the group should be hitting a ball at 9:10 AM. If you check in with the starter at 9:08, by the time you get to the tee, get settled, etc... your teeing off at 9:15 or later (at best).

In my experience public and resort courses are behind schedule a few minutes at least 50% of the time unless it's the first hour after the first tee time. I've never been at a course where if I showed the starter my receipt I couldn't be putting a ball on a tee 75 seconds later. If it takes 1 minute in a cart to get to the first tee, that would make the first tee about 370 yards away, something I have never seen. The first tee is normally with 200 yards of the starter, at least where I've played my 3,500 rounds.

Welp, I know what course won't be getting any of my money again. That's bush league stuff right there Greg. I would have stayed right there at the first tee and teed off, you had a tee time, no where was it posted that you needed to check in with anyone 15 mins prior to tee time.

When we were there on Sunday I was told to hand my receipt to the starter... who was nowhere in sight. Just poor management all around.

That is total total garbage. I'd never play there again

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

After reading the other post- I will never play there. I'm pissed for you.

I would've kindly asked for my money back and left, never to return.

I am so glad I don't live in areas with suck stupid rules. In would be writing someone and getting this taken care of.

I put the blame 95% starter 5% his 2 friends who never checked in while there were there in plenty of time.

Yeah, I would have probably blown a gasket.

what course was this? I would make that known so others may benefit from your experience and decide to give or not give their business

Should have tee'd off. What could the starter actually done to you?
Nothing.

I would have thrown a sh*t fit and tee'd off anyway. Thats a load of crap and a BS excuse by the starter. Sounds like he is awful at his job.

That's a great question, Greg.

In my opinion, you should be available for your tee time at least 10 minutes prior to teeing off. Showing up two minutes before your designated tee time at my course (without playing partners vouching for you) is a sure fire way to make people angry and/or lose their spot.

If you are in the pro ship at 908, you can't be ready to tee off at 910, you are then late and they did well to give your spot away imo .

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

If you are in the pro ship at 908, you can't be ready to tee off at 910, you are then late and they did well to give your spot away imo .

He was on the box at 9:08.

I would have either teed it up or went and played the other course and then dealt with the GM the next day. No way I let bad customer service go.

I posted this in the regional section and was asked to post this here to gauge others reactions to it. What do you guys think?

We had a 9:10 tee time. 2 of our guys were there at 8:45. Paid and got a bucket of range balls so they went to hit a loosen up. I get there around 9am, get my stuff together, go in and pay ( the women tells me that 3 other members have already checked in) and go to the starter and tell him we have a 9:10 tee time. He says, "Sorry, you're late and I gave your tee time away". I looked at my watch, show him, and say, "It's 9:08. He says, "You need to check in with me 15 minutes before tee time". I ask how could he give the 9:10 tee time away when it's not even 9:10 yet"?? My 9:10 tee time group (meaning the group that took MY spot) must have teed off around 9:05. He said we could wait and hope another group shows up but he wasn't going to let us play but we could always go to the other course and wait in line because no reservation were needed there. He said you can't just expect to show up and just get onto the Championship Course. I told him the other members have been here since 8:45, had paid and had been hitting range balls.

I can understand if we showed up at 9:25 and were actually late but 3/4's of my group were there and paid at 8:45! How can he cancel the 9:10 tee time when it's not even 9:10....and have that group that took our tee time tee off at least 5 minutes before the actual tee time. We showed up to the starter at our designated tee time (9:10) ready to tee off and were told you're out of luck. He the went on to ask my friend if it was his first time golfing because you never just show up at the course and not check in with the starter.

We played the other course..it sucked and the round sucked because of it. Well over a 5 hour round because of slow groups and just not fun because of how the day started

Had the other two guys checked in with the starter? I worked as a starter for 5 years, and by 10 minutes before if nobody had checked in or answered my pages on the PA system, then if I have players waiting, they get the time. That was course policy, not just mine. You make it a major pain in the ass when you can't be bothered with showing up 15 minutes early on a busy day when he is likely to have a waiting list to work through. If you're going to be that tardy, then you should at least call the starter and let him know that you are on the way.

I don't have courses like that around here. They actually call u to the tee beforehand. If I am running as late as u did I would've told my partners to check in with the starter and none of this happens. That being said, I still understand your frustration and I think I am in the group that would've also teed off and made them forcibly remove me

Had the other two guys checked in with the starter? I worked as a starter for 5 years, and by 10 minutes before if nobody had checked in or answered my pages on the PA system, then if I have players waiting, they get the time. That was course policy, not just mine. You make it a major pain in the ass when you can't be bothered with showing up 15 minutes early on a busy day when he is likely to have a waiting list to work through. If you're going to be that tardy, then you should at least call the starter and let him know that you are on the way.

I really can't imagine why they wouldn't have checked in. I've had that happen numerous times where a playing partner joined at tee time or half way through the first hole. We just get someone running carts to bring him out to us.

No big deal at all.

I don't have courses like that around here. They actually call u to the tee beforehand. If I am running as late as u did I would've told my partners to check in with the starter and none of this happens. That being said, I still understand your frustration and I think I am in the group that would've also teed off and made them forcibly remove me

On the rare occasions that the staff or pro couldn't get a golfer to follow policy, we didn't screw around with them, just called the sheriff's office and had it handled.

I really can't imagine why they wouldn't have checked in. I've had that happen numerous times where a playing partner joined at tee time or half way through the first hole. We just get someone running carts to bring him out to us.

No big deal at all.

Exactly. The OP and his buddies were off base here, no matter how many other posters side with them. I guarantee that if they had put in a few years working as a starter, they wouldn't be so quick call foul on him.

There's not enough courtesy in the world today (and yes, it's just common courtesy to be on the tee, checked in and ready to play before your tee time). "I'm pissed, and it can't possibly be my fault!" - has to be the other guy. Not a thought for a guy who's just doing his job.

On the rare occasions that the staff or pro couldn't get a golfer to follow policy, we didn't screw around with them, just called the sheriff's office and had it handled.

Exactly. The OP and his buddies were off base here, no matter how many other posters side with them. I guarantee that if they had put in a few years working as a starter, they wouldn't be so quick call foul on him.

There's not enough courtesy in the world today (and yes, it's just common courtesy to be on the tee, checked in and ready to play before your tee time). "I'm pissed, and it can't possibly be my fault!" - has to be the other guy. Not a thought for a guy who's just doing his job.

I hope you don't fall of that high horse of yours, sounds like you're the same kind of fella the OP ran into. He was there 2 mins before, on the tee box, thats on time.

I was standing 3 feet from the tee telling the starter i had a 9:10 and ready to walk onto the tee box to hit

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Tapatalk

I hope you don't fall of that high horse of yours, sounds like you're the same kind of fella the OP ran into. He was there 2 mins before, on the tee box, thats on time.

I did the job I was hired to do. I assume that you do the same.

I was standing 3 feet from the tee telling the starter i had a 9:10 and ready to walk onto the tee box to hit

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Tapatalk

Like I said above, when I know I'm cutting it close, whether it's my fault or not, I call ahead and let them know that I'm still coming. If this is the worst thing that ever happens to you, you'll have a good life. And maybe next time you'll do things differently.

Back