What are you reading?

Currently reading "Halftime" by Bob Buford - so far a great book! on Chapter 3.

Oh I haven't the words to describe how happy I am to be back in here again. The Doc got me a new Paperwhite with the backlight for my birthday so I can start in on reading at night once again, sounds picky, but I just couldnt do it long term with the Fire and the gloss screen. The new paperwhite though is fantastic and I can rad at night without bother the doc at night.

So the question becomes, what to read. I'm going to continue my journey of classics, but I'm unsure where to go. Last two were 'As I Lay Dying' by Faulkner (LOVED it) and '1984'.

Leaning something like 'The Count of Monte Cristo' or just going back to more Faulkner with 'The Sound and the Fury". Though Hemingway has my eye, and so too does something HUGE like 'War and Peace' or 'Les Miserables'.

I. Can't. Decide.

Oh I haven't the words to describe how happy I am to be back in here again. The Doc got me a new Paperwhite with the backlight for my birthday so I can start in on reading at night once again, sounds picky, but I just couldnt do it long term with the Fire and the gloss screen. The new paperwhite though is fantastic and I can rad at night without bother the doc at night.

So the question becomes, what to read. I'm going to continue my journey of classics, but I'm unsure where to go. Last two were 'As I Lay Dying' by Faulkner (LOVED it) and '1984'.

Leaning something like 'The Count of Monte Cristo' or just going back to more Faulkner with 'The Sound and the Fury". Though Hemingway has my eye, and so too does something HUGE like 'War and Peace' or 'Les Miserables'.

I. Can't. Decide.
I had never read any Hemingway, but read The Old Man and the Sea a few weeks ago, I need to go much deeper.

Went with 'The Count of Monte Cristo' and immediately ended up putting 3 hours in on it last night. I'm a fan already.

Haven't updated my read list in a while....

1. The accelerated sales formula (Great book if you work in sales and lead a team or about to start doing so)

2. Devil in the white city - great read. About the Chicago Worlds Fair and what was put into it. In addition, during that time the country's first real serial killer came to surface. Also just so happens they are coming out with a movie version where Leonardo DiCaprio is the killer

3. Currently reading gunslinger by Jeff Pearlman. Is a biography and story of Brett Favres life. Not a Packers fan but heard good things and Pearlman is a great author

Sent from my golf cart

Bonhoeffer, just started

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Words of Radiance by Brandon Sanderson.
Best book ever! Really enjoying it especially since the announcement that the first book "Way of Kings" is being made into a movie. Better than Game of Thrones, so hope the movies will do the book justice. The movie company has 300 million put aside for half the first movie.... Hopeful it will be good. They are 1000 page books so 1 movie isn't enough per book so hopefully 3 movies per book minimum. Could be the next massive fantasy movie trilogy.

Swyped while swerving on my S6 edge

Went with 'The Count of Monte Cristo' and immediately ended up putting 3 hours in on it last night. I'm a fan already.

Easily his best novel, though I don't think I can remember a poor novel of Dumas'.

I'm currently re-reading Starship Troopers. I gave my soldiers a book list of four books to read while they're home on leave, to pick one and read it: Gates of Fire by Stephen Pressfield, Starship Troopers by Heinlein, All Quiet on the Western Front by Remarque, and the Red Badge of Courage by Stephen Crane. I hope they're reading. I finished Gates of Fire around Thanksgiving, but I'm going to try to pound through the rest of them before the New Year. They're a suitable break from my current slog through History of the Peloponnesian War by Thucydides. Very interesting book, but not an easy read by any stretch.

I just finished Brian Wilson's autobiography, and started in on Bruce Springsteen's autobiog last night.

George Washington's Secret Six: The Spy Ring That Saved The American Revolution

I've had that book for about a year, and started it once, but got side tracked. Will need to jump back into it because it sounds interesting.

...and so too does something HUGE like 'War and Peace' or 'Les Miserables'.

I. Can't. Decide.

As an immense fan of the musical, the literary version of Les Mis has always intrigued me. I just haven't gotten up the gumption to tackle it just yet. :)

Just got this book today. I'm a fan of Dr. Rotella and look forward to the read.
6f12add15d5fbff723e7cf0a4c0e249a.jpg

Preston & Child

Beyond the Ice Limit

I finished Mr Mercedes by Stephen King. It was a pretty good read. Now I'm reading The Shining by King. Hopefully I'll finish it soon and can move onto Dr Sleep the sequel.

Picked up Killing The Rising Sun by Bill O'Reilly today. I have really enjoyed the rest of the "Killing" series.

hmmmmm let's see, over the last 6 months I finally finished "Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell" and tore through Murakami's " Colorless Tsukuru Tazaki.." and am currently 3/4 of the way through Chernow's "Washington" and just about finished with Sagan's "The Varieties of Scientific Experience: A Personal View of the Search for God"

On deck is Chernow's "Hamilton" or Isaacson's "Franklin" and probably another Murakami on the side.

Rich Dad Poor Dad on audiobook

The Real Lincoln on Kindle (I've been off and on for months....how can something so interesting also be SO boring?)

Bonhoeffer and The Demographic Cliff

Numerous homepage articles

Grandpa got me a copy of A Life Well Played for Christmas and just opened it up. The values taught to him are something I hope to instill in my daughter.

Grandpa got me a copy of A Life Well Played for Christmas and just opened it up. The values taught to him are something I hope to instill in my daughter.
can't think of better one to base values on
on whom to place values, I mean

Last edited:
Story of Your Life - Ted Chiang (The short story that inspired the movie Arrival).

Back