What Ball Did You Play Last - What Are Your Thoughts?

Interesting always thought supersoft was a discount ball?
Retail is around $20 - $25/dozen depending on where you buy them. I've always considered them a midrange ball - around the same strata as e6/e12, Superhot, Srixon Soft Feel, Titleist Velocity, etc. I think they over-perform for the price.

Retail is around $20 - $25/dozen depending on where you buy them. I've always considered them a midrange ball - around the same strata as e6/e12, Superhot, Srixon Soft Feel, Titleist Velocity, etc. I think they over-perform for the price.
Does it check like the QST?

Today I played a Srixon Z Star XV. Honestly it was to dang windy to have an opinion of it today. It stopped on greens very well on my chips shots. Feel is good but couldn’t tell you how the ball flight is.

Does it check like the QST?
Hard for me to say, since our greens are rock hard and no ball gets a lot of check. Even guys playing top-tier balls like ProVs don't get good check out of them. All I can say is that for the conditions I play in, they're close enough that I can't notice any difference. I've even gone to the practice green with them both and compared them against each other, there's nothing there that makes me lean one way or the other. I took a CS Truvis out there with them one day, same thing. One of these days I want to grab a few range balls and hit them on the practice green against the QST and Supersoft to see how much difference I notice.

I have now tried all four of the 2020 Tour ball releases from Bridgestone. Their fitting program put me into the Tour RXS, even though my club speed falls into the top end of the B balls. I feel like that ball spins a bit much for me. I tried the B RXS and it just didn’t excite me. I have had quite a bit of success with the Tour B RX and love that it comes in yellow. I figured since my ball speed fell into the B series, I would stick with it. However, on kind of a lark, I tried the Tour RX. That ball is giving me a tad more spin and ball speed than the B RX. I wish it came in yellow, but I think this is my ball for the rest of the year.

TP5x, just a great ball. I enjoy playing the yellow.

Had a bit of a smorgasbord yesterday. My regular gamer Z Star supported most of the round. I am very happy with this ball as it performs for me from tee to green. I did find a new Bridgestone Tour X and played it a few holes. Impressive to say the least. Great feel off the club face and putting. If I was looking for a new ball I’d definitely look at these. Currently I think I have 20 dozen Z Stars so I’m set for a while.

Playing the Tiger Bridgestone ball and am thinking I don't have the swing speed for it. I love its feel, but seem to even get more distance with a ProV1. Have to use these up first I guess as they are personalized ;)

Only 9 holes but I put the standard yellow Z-Star in play yesterday. First time in a while playing a standard Z-Star.

As I said in a recent post, I had to switch to yellow as I'm having a heckuva time tracking my own shots with a white ball. No such issues tracking others' with an angle, however.

Had been playing a yellow XV for the last handful of rounds and while I didn't go head to head on the course, I was mentally comparing the whole way.

I much prefer the feel of the Z-Star over the XV. Very noticeably softer than the XV while still managing to offer an appreciable level of feedback. I very much liked its feel off of all clubs down to putter.

I was swinging very well but that actually cost me dearly on two holes. On each, anticipating my new to me 2020 significant fade. I aimed left and nuked straight and long drives that bounded toward and into trouble. As in, OB. Still, I wasn't at all upset as I hit it where I aimed. I sure hope that trend continues... I'd adjust.

Whether my swing or the ball, or both, I was straight all day throughout the bag and very long. The length too cost me modestly on another hole.

Ended with a 40, including the 2 doubles, a bogey and a birdie. I also missed 2 other birdie putts within 7'.

Left the course feeling very positive about this ball overall. It seems to maintain all that I like about the XV yet offer a slightly flatter trajectory (that I happen to prefer), softer feel, and maybe a bit more bite on chips and pitches.

So, of course... 2 more dozen are on the way to me.

Playing the Tiger Bridgestone ball and am thinking I don't have the swing speed for it. I love its feel, but seem to even get more distance with a ProV1. Have to use these up first I guess as they are personalized ;)
I give up a little too much yardage with the xs for my taste, too.

I played the ProV1x and TP5 again today, and my Rose Protos seem to really prefer the TP5. Much better flight, and I still zipped a couple wedges so they're getting plenty of spin. The TP5s feel better with them, too. Going to play 9 with a regular ProV1, but prefer the tp5 over them off the tee, so unless something surprises me, I think the TP5 will be played with that set.

Played some holes with 2018 Chrome Soft X truvis and most holes with 2019 Chrome Soft X Triple Track. The 2019 Chrome Soft X with triple track is the perfect ball for me.

Played my last 2 rounds with a standard ProV1 and have surprised how well I have hit the ball especially off the tee. I'm not getting as much spin around the greens as I was with the new Tour B however and that is missed.

Gave the new Tour B-RX another shot. Shot my lowest round of the year and had my best driving day in a long time. Plenty of spin around the green. I may need to buy another dozen or two

I grabbed a couple of ProV1x balls from a playing partner this morning as I've wanted to see if it will help me achieve a higher ball flight with driver.

I was hitting the driver well, and it did seem like I had a bit more total height. I got some pretty massive first bounces upon landing which adds up to extra yards. I will definitely be giving it another try soon.

2020 Chrome Soft. Right now for me there isn't a better ball. It does everything I want. good spin on approach shots, great for chips around the green and has great feel off the putter.

New CSX, and holy hell it’s long.

Played 2020 Chrome Soft. Played far too crappy to judge it in any way.

I need to get hold of some Chrome Soft 2020 to try, been looking but can't find any locally at the moment

Played my last sleeve of MTB Red this weekend, reminded me that I actually like it pretty well. I think I might go shop for a dozen MTB-X to try out.

Cut White, matte white ball.
6c1b3e48bfb60b2153ce23948c604f93.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I don't know... I normally play Srixon Z-Star. I duffed my 2nd shot on the 11th hole so bad I grabbed another ball out of my bag and threw it down and gave it a smack. It was a Volvik Vivid. I played it the rest of the round. I can't say it performed any worse or any better than the Z-Star. It's supposed to be designed for a moderate swing speed. It stopped on the green just as fast as the Z-star. And I didn't notice any difference in feel. So I don't know. I think if you play a decent ball they're all pretty much the same.

2020 CSX, really liking this ball. I know I don't have the recommended swing speed, however I have hit some of my longest drives with it so far this year. Around the green it is a spin monster and you can really go after pins. Feels great coming off the putter.

Srixon Q Star Tour. It was solid in every department. There are probably balls that perform better in one element or another but a it’s tough to knock the overall performance of a urethane ball at this price.

2020 Titleist AVX - What a performance improvement over the original.
It performs so much better on the short game now. Really worth a try.

Callaway Warbirds, simply because I have several dozen. I like the ball, but since I'm just starting my golf journey again after a long layoff, I don't know if they'll match my game as it comes back around.

Last edited:
Back