Jman

Here for the Conversation
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Handicap
SOFTCAPPED
Well? What calls you?

Is it pure distance? Numbers alone? Aesthetics? Sound/Feel?

• Staff
Fine, I'll go.

Sound. Its everything to me, there are a TON of drivers that suit my needs performance wise, so I see NO reason I should settle on a sound that I dislike or am not comfortable with.

A little bit of forgiveness for the days I'm just not at 100%

Adjustability: Who doesn't like to tinker with different shafts or even on days when you're just not swinging well and need a little less weight in the toe or heel

Sound: Please don't sound like a half filled coffee can :alien:

Distance: Don't be shorter than the previous driver

Accuracy is left off, as that kinda seems like that's more indian based than it is arrow, plus tied into the forgiveness part.

In this order would be
1. Forgiveness
2. Distance
3. Sound

Sound is important to me, but doesn't bother me like most. If the head helps my off center hits and still delivers distance I'm sold.

1) lateral forgiveness
2) distance
3) looks
4) sound

Hard to quantify. I will say that I always prefer to have some type of marking or alignment contour on the crown, but other than that, the features I am looking for are pretty random and flexible.

Mainly forgiveness across the face and distance.

Forgiveness and low spin.

Low spin just works for me. I do not have back up numbers to prove that low spin drivers work better for me, but I just am way more confident with them. Confidence leads to fairways hit.

For me, forgiveness, distance, sound, looks, they all play a part in my driver choice. The biggest thing to me is performance, as long as it helps me get in the fairway and some good distance, I'll put it play.

All-around performance on less than stellar swings, then sound, then aesthetics.

I'm going to go with sound on this one, as I don't think I know what I am talking about when it comes to what I'm actually looking for.

There is a certain feel, call it an explosion, of the ball off the face. I hear the term "hot face" thrown around. Is that sound? Is that a certain vibration in the hands? I don't know. What I do know, is that I thought the Callaway Razr Fit had the most explosive (or whatever the right term is...hot maybe) feel of the ball coming off the face at impact.

I'm still looking for a driver that has that same feeling/sound for me.

In this order.

Forgiveness
Launch/Spin Profile
Sound
Looks

For me, when it comes to a driver it starts with foregiveness and adjustability. Distance doesn't concern me too much as I haven't found one that I can't get distance out of. Of course if shaft options falls within distance then that changes for me.

As petty as it may sound, I have to like the look and sound of the driver. If the driver is loud and sounds like a cannon blast - I am walking the other way.

Looks basically. Then I'll learn to play with it after I buy it online.

FIFY brother.

Pretty much lol. Z 545 came closer than most. Covert 2 as well. We'll find out about the G30 next week.

Launch&Spin
Distance
Forgiveness
Price

I mention price because I'm just not willing to spend $400 to gain 2% distance.

I'm willing to game a driver for a handful of years, or until there is something significant to be gained by upgrading.

Looks first, forgiveness second, distance third. Sound fourth.

It has to look fantastic. And it has to sound fantastic. The rest I will figure out along the way.

Looks at address and sound/feel for me to even give it a shot.

Looks at address, forgiveness, feel

WIth my game right now, FORGIVENESS is first, I don't want to lose distance of course so that's right up there. I do love a nice muted thud vs a ding so sound is next in line.

For me, I look for results. I didn't really believe in that until this year. I gamed the Covert (original) last year and felt that it was essentially on par with all of the other 2013 clubs and thought it looked better than most (and, to be honest, I liked the sound, one of the few, I'm sure). Then I hit the X2 Hot and crap if it didn't change my game. I was suddenly hitting it farther and (mostly) more accurately. I know it's not the driver, per se, but a combination of the shaft, the loft, the face, and my swing that resulted in my enjoying tee shots again.

So I honestly don't care it it is pink with green polka dots. If it gets me out there where I want to be, that's what I look for. After that, looks come second and name probably comes third. I've wanted to to try the Bombtech Grenade but the lack of name has kept me from spending the ~$300 to try one out.

Performance is a huge factor for me with the second biggest factor being sound.

Looks plays a role for me, but I played the Ping G20 (which I consider a pretty ugly driver) for quite a while because it just performed for me.

Back