What do you look for when joining a Semi-private or private course?

AG47

Reaction score
Handicap
PRO
During a recent job interview I was asked what ideas I had for bringing in new members to a semi-private course. As I have only worked at a public course for my short career it took me a minute to think it over. I gave them some general ideas that they seemed to like but not really having dealt with the private golf sector I may have missed some things that tend to draw in the private course types. So here is my question. If you were/ are looking to join a new private or semi- private course, what things are you looking for and what draws you to a certain facility?

Social side of it.
Obviously the course has to be what I am looking for and the price has to be right or I wouldnt be there.
The two things that would make me consider it are social side and pace of play.

Pace of play is a big issue at our club at the moment. We are in high season which means many tourists who insist on playing from the tips. If they got rid of the blue tees it would speed up play no end.

Practice facilities, pace of play, and good food availability. If there's a food minimum every month it's hard to spend it if the food's not very good and it's hard to get people to sit down after a round and spend money if it's bad too. Practice facilities are pretty important to some too, a great short game area is a must for me. Pace is huge, I enjoy being there but not for 5 hour rounds, sometimes I want to be in and out with little difficulty.

After being a member of a private club for over 10 years, I joined a semi-private club this season in Florida. The main reason I joined was the driving range practice facilites. This club had the best facilities of those clubs I considered. The course is also in excellent shape and has a deal with its county to use as much water as they want to water. The members also never have a problem getting out as the club is on the discount golf sites offering tee times.

At my previous club, I could never get out in the afternoon, nor would I want to as the tee sheet was always booked solid until 2:30 pm and pace of play made it a 5 1/2 hour round. I also left that course because the range balls were worn out and they refused to replace them. I couldn't stand hitting a sollid shot and see the ball do dips and slices like it had 10 tons of mud on it. My membership had dropped to $100/month because they offered a new 55 and under membership and I still left. I'm looking at facilities, tee time availability and pace of play. I'm there to play golf. I eat or have a drink with the guys but rarely go to dinner unless I have to meet a food minimum.

Another aspect for me is an assortment of tournaments and leagues. Club Championship, member-guest, member-member, weekly men's league, pro shop games etc.

Also a quality pro shop staff is important for lessons, equipment and general service.

If a semi-private club there must be benefits for the members like preferred tee times and discounts.

When joining a semi private club I would be very interested in what exactly I got as a member. Does it mean I just pay a large amount to play a course all the time, that I could play anyway. Or are all tee times before say 10 reserved for members? Pace of play is always a big deal to me. Availability of tee times and pace of play are the biggest outside of the course itself

important aspect as well is your commute to it. I don't care how amazing it is, if it's a chore to get to, over time you're going to find yourself going to it less and less.

It sounds like I hit the nail on the head according to everyone's posts so far. The facility has the best practice area around, hosts over 50 tournaments per year, has a strict pace of play policy and the food in their restaurant is amazing!

Social and family activities - 2 different things.
Golf - good practice facility, very well maintained, and tournaments.
Tennis is not a deal breaker but something I looked for.
Dues and fees need to make sense.

1) Tee Time Availability - between how many tournaments take up weekends and so on (then look at costs below)
2) Food is a big one, if I have a weekend early tee time I want eggs not some wrap for breakfast
3) Course Normal conditions should be better than average, but does not have to be great
4a) Price - of course - Since I'm still working I would be looking at: how many rounds do I need to play to be cost effective, ie: weekend primetime: if public pays 72, guests of members pay 52, I would figure out how many rounds at 52 I would need to play, then figure out if I can easily get that many rounds in without too much of a hassle
4b) Again since I'm still working and am at the age the course should be looking to attract me (not too far from retirement) some sort of discount on membership since, in my case, I'm on call 7/24 and getting my moneys worth.

Practice facilities, pace of play, and good food availability. If there's a food minimum every month it's hard to spend it if the food's not very good and it's hard to get people to sit down after a round and spend money if it's bad too. Practice facilities are pretty important to some too, a great short game area is a must for me. Pace is huge, I enjoy being there but not for 5 hour rounds, sometimes I want to be in and out with little difficulty.
All of this plus condition of the facility and course.

I just moved from a semi-private to private club.
Most important aspect for me was ease of getting a tee time (when I wanted one), then followed closely by pace of play.
Practice facilities were what brought me to both clubs, they were excellent at both places, but better at the private club. I did not want to hit off of mats at all.
Course difficulty and condition was vastly different. As to be expected.
The food is good at both places, no F&B minimum at either place.

So, to try to help answer your first question, I would say pace of play and reserved tee times for members.

1) tee time availability for members must be great with first crack at early mornings and twilight.
2) I NEED top notch practice facilities. Grass range is a must. Good putting green and chipping green.
3) Price. The course must have a package that makes sense for a weekend warrior... Which no course up here does.

If I were to ever join a club it would need to have the following

1. At least 36 holes to have variety
2. Great practice facilities
3. Under 4hr pace of play
4. Members only tee times 7 days a week if Semi Private
5. Excellent conditions with at least one set of tees that is 6800+

For me to even consider joining a semi or private course, it would have to have reciprocal playing privileges with at least 2 other courses.
I refuse to be stuck playing one course.

Decent course. Unlimited play, walking, and play pretty much whenever I want. Pace of play a bit slower on weekends is okay, but I expect more... open conditions during the week. No food minimums. Accommodating pro/staff and grounds crew. Not interested in swimming, tennis, or social aspects. My current semi-private club fits the bill to a... tee....

I am a member of a private club and it is one of the finest courses in Nashville. I like that they dont have a F&B Minimum, which was a big selling point for me, and that I can walk on and play whenever I want. No checking in, no nothing. I just grab a cart and go. This can be done at all times, except on Saturday mornings when they have their "league" games (read: money games.) The practice area does leave a little to be desired. The course is always in fantastic shape and it isn't too stuffy.

Oh yeah, hire as many attractive college girls as possible... It's an awfully sexist thing to say, but you are catering to a 95% male clientel... It makes a difference, trust me...

Price, practice facilities and social aspect. Has to make sense for me price wise to join and I want a facility where I can practice on all aspects of my game. Also, still be relatively new to Indianapolis, I am looking for ways to meet more people in the area. So the social side of the club will be important for me.

Another aspect for me is an assortment of tournaments and leagues. Club Championship, member-guest, member-member, weekly men's league, pro shop games etc.

Also a quality pro shop staff is important for lessons, equipment and general service.

If a semi-private club there must be benefits for the members like preferred tee times and discounts.

These are all important to me as well, and my course has them all. They are very good when it comes to discounts and trade in values. Pace of play is fairly well and the PGA Pro has been there since the mid 1960's though I think he will retire in the next year or so.

Price of course is important to me and my wife. We don't have a ton of disposable income, so we pay around $200 per month and the course is closed from election day into it is dry enough to open in the spring.

tee times and pace of play. also how does the staff treat members?

for me Semi-Private = Public, so if its "semi private" there needs to be discounts on food, golf, clothes, etc. As for the facility if someone is considering a "semi Private" place, the course, range, practice area must be good enough to consider joining but since anyone can use it, i would expect more for joining hence the discounts.

Joining a private club its all about the amenities, does the manager/membership do the little things, you can tell right away when you get to a private facility if its being run properly or not

Lots of great answers in here, and I don't want to be repetitive. This doesn't necessarily go to the OP's question, which is more to how he can attract new members. But, could be very important to anyone reading this that is about to join a club. Be sure to check on the financial health of the club, especially if there is an initiation fee or you're buying property along with it. As an example, the wife and I are contemplating a move. I found a beautiful golf course community in our targeted city and had several potential houses that were outstanding candidates at wonderful prices. I was all set to get serious, but, while driving through one more time, decided to stop by the pro shop to see if membership prices which I had seen on line had changed. The pro/manager there said, "I'm surprised no one told you, the club is closing on Jan 1. It has been for sale for a couple of years with no buyers, and the members aren't interested in buying it, so the current owner is just shutting it down". That explained the great home prices which will almost certainly plummet even further after the course closes. It's a shame because it was a beautiful course and community.

wow, good thing you stopped by the pro shop ken, would have been some bad news had you not found out about the course closing

Back