What golf stuff did you learn today?

I learned that GIR are much more important than FIR for scoring. Own the second shot? I do not.

Haha, FIR helps but GIR is almighty!

I learned that boring golf is good golf (for someone at my level).

This is the truth!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I learned to let the club do the work. Too much over swinging on my part lately.

I learned that I am capable of putting a BIG hook on the ball, and that I can actually hit a slight draw with a fairly neutral grip.

My game is drifting into some uncharted territory....

"Trust it" works wonders.

My bag is actually great the way it is.

Sure another driver could be easier to hit.
Sure a 3W/5W/23° hybrid could tighten the gaps in the top end.
Sure newer irons can potentially be better.
Sure new wedges give me (even) more spin.

Only thing I'm willing to change is the length and grip of the putter right now. Would make it longer with a longer grip. (But those long grips by SuperStroke are extremely hard to find and expensive here!)

End the ho-ing and go play!

My alignment was off with my driver.

I actually had a golf lesson today (my 4th in 25 years) and unlike the other 2 (1 of the previous 3 was a putting lesson that was worthwhile), I actually learnt some stuff. The guy was superb. A chap called Bob Swinnerton. Booked it months back on groupon. Previous lessons have gone along the lines of you need to release your hands, or you backswing is too steep, get the butt end of the club pointing at the ball half way back. Completely useless for me.
Bob videoed my swing then asked me what I wanted. As I shoot anywhere between 76 and 106, I told him I wanted some consistency. He got me to look at my swing and asked me what I thought. I have seen myself on video before and I told him I thought I had a rigid looking backswing. He agreed. Then went on to explain cause and effect. Asking someone to flatten their backswing for instance deals with the effect. He wanted to address the cause. Music to my ears.
So, I hyper extend my left arm at address. This causes a rigid movement in the backswing. Also I shift my weight to the right side in the backswing. This causes swaying. Relax the left arm at address and let the weight of the clubhead play more of a role in the swing. Don't hit the ball, swing along the target line and simply let the ball get in the way. Stuff I've heard and thought I did but clearly I don't. The good news is my down swing and through swing are pretty solid, but my address and backswing are the cause of the rounds in the 90's and 100's.
This is the first guy I've felt a real connection with and everything he said just made complete sense. He's not looking to make drastic changes, just give me a more fluid swing, and with the 3 lesson block in about to book with him, I'm pretty confident we'll both succeed in achieving that.

I learned a 3/4 swing helps me make better contact and still goes just as far as a full swing, but with better lateral control.

I learned a 3/4 swing helps me make better contact and still goes just as far as a full swing, but with better lateral control.

My game REALLY changed when I learned this same thing. 3/4 swing with solid contact is much better than a full swing off the toe lol.

Just a reminder to make sure to stretch/get a good warmup before playing. Went to the range as was hitting so much better at the end of the bucket when I was warmed up than at the start.

That no man regardless of age is above cheating/lying. Some guy I was paired with bad to be in his mid to late 70s hit my ball - I knew where it was, short of the green, near where his was, but his was shorter and in some heavy rough that I knew he didn't carry. Even his buddy didn't think he cleared it. So I was looking all over for mine in a Clear area where it should have been easy to spot. After he had hit up (and what I thought may have been my ball) I asked him and his buddy (or son) if they saw it. Nope. Drop one and hit up to the green and as I watch him put his ball down and pick up his mark, it's my friggin ball!!! I didn't say anything to him - he was having a great time and birdied the hole (or so he thought) so I didn't want to ruin his time. I just moved on, but really dude? Either you didn't bother to look at the ball before you hit or you did and knowingly hit the wrong ball.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When they aerate the greens, don't bother trying to read the break because it doesn't matter. Also, I learned that if I'm hitting my tee shots so well that I split every single fairway, I apparently can't hit a wedge or iron to save my life.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Focus on my grip is a great way for me to start my Pre shot routine and get ready to hit a shot.

Today I learned there are bumps in the road of learning to play golf. After showing slow, steady improvement just about every time out, I played like it was my first time on a course today.

I learned how to post scores to GHIN for combo tees of your own choosing.

I learned that the fact my average scores are 9 strokes lower for 18 holes now than they were on the same courses in the spring is something to celebrate.

Stand tall and light grip pressure lead to better iron striking.

Last night I was watching a Me and My Golf video on YouTube, and learned that my club face should be neutral or slightly closed on the downswing when parallel to the ground. Apparently I've been leaving it nearly 45 degrees open. That would certainly explain my fade/slice and tendency to hit the ball a bit thin sometimes.

When I worked on bowing my wrist on the downswing, I was able to consistently brush my carpet after the imaginary ball (i.e. divot in front of the golf ball). But it felt extremely weird.

Something to work on, anyway.

I think I finally figured out how to hit a nice low knockdown shot.

Turning with my core and shoulders drives my hands high and away from me during the back swing and then simply uncoiling the core and shoulder while keeping the head still leads to piercing ball flight and some serious consistency for me.

Turning with my core and shoulders drives my hands high and away from me during the back swing and then simply uncoiling the core and shoulder while keeping the head still leads to piercing ball flight and some serious consistency for me.

I kind of learned something similar today. Previously, my swing has been all arms. I've tried to keep my shoulders still and my wrists locked. I figured the fewer moving parts, the less there was to screw up.

Today I tried turning my shoulders some and putting some wrist action in. I hit the ball much further with less effort, and straighter (when I made good contact).

I learned aimpoint express! Tons of practice needed to calibrate myself. So ready to use this

I learned the G30 is for real! My numbers were crazy

Most putters come with 3 to 4 degrees of loft. Are you saying you want more loft or no loft?

thegolfwit@gmail

Back