What golf stuff did you learn today?

Hovering my club over the ball has worked wonders for me, even off the tee.

I cleaned out my bag today and learned I had way to many old balls tucked away. Bag is many pounds lighter.

I learned that being better at golf is directly related to the amount to time you can spend on golf (ie. playing, practicing, lessons). I intended to make the jump this year. Plenty of short game practice followed. If I couldn't get out on the course, or on the range, I was in the yard chipping and pitching.

My greenside work is much improved. Proximity to the pin from 120 yds and in is staggeringly better. Putting is my main held-back now. This weekend I was more than happy with my approach shots, makeable birdie/par putts, and did not make a single one of them again.

Sadly I didn't get to spend as much time on golf this year as I wanted. Floods, family issues, and (lets me real here) my own desire to play dramatically lowered the number of rounds I got in. This has really got to change.

You speak the truth! Especially if you have a swing with lots of moving parts that is timing dependant like mine, the more time swinging the lower the scores.
It really is that simple.

The Bear Trap is a real mother effer.

That nerves get the best of me. (That first tee in front of 40 people was crazy for some reason)

That my swing is not automatic, and I MUST give full attention to each and every shot.

That 200 yard approach shots are no fun.

I found out today that the sh@nk$ can show up at any time (at least with a new golfer). I've been playing for roughly 14 months now and have never hit shot after shot off the hosel during a round. Today I did though. Which stinks because I've struggled with my driver for months now and finally feel like I'm getting a grasp with it. I hit 11/14 fairways with no penalties from the driver. I ended up with 5 penalties from iron shots though. This game is hard.

Sunday I learned that it is very smart to know what type of shot is required off the first tee and to spend time hitting that shot on the range when warming up.

Over the weekend I learned that bent grass plays way different from everything else I've played on.

Two things from this weekend.

1). Pure Pro grips + South Florida humidity = no bueno.

2). My wrist is 100% and thank god. Time to get to work....

I recently learned that I really should get a rangefinder. Makes Christmas shopping for my wife & kids a whole lot easier.

I have some kind of malfunction with my brain where I can't hit down on a fairway wood. Taking a divot or even getting close just seems so wrong. This one is going to take some professional help..

Golf really is a game of two 9's. Today +2 on the front and a disastrous +8 on the back.

I learned that trying to power a drive down the fairway (because you want to win the longest drive competition) while still recovering from a torn abdominal muscle really, really, really, really hurts.

I learned that I swing so much better when I don't put any thought into my swing.

I learned that I can now chip way better than I could two days ago. I played around with it yesterday, and put it into play in my round today. I had previously relied heavily in my hybrid around the green, and was happy just to get on. Today I actually chipped toward the hole and averaged a two putt for my round. I had four three putts and four one putts, and never putted more than three times. That has never happened before.

That I need work out of Fairway bunkers.

That Freddie's advice about shoulder turns and thumbs pointing up is a magic formula for flushing irons.

That it is wise to error on the side of caution, I hit two very solid golf shots that ended up wet because I went at it a bit too much.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That it is wise to error on the side of caution, I hit two very solid golf shots that ended up wet because I went at it a bit too much.

Agreed. Stupid bear trap taught me that.

We probably both knew that....dumbos

Another enlightening lesson this evening. My coach finally pulled the trigger on fixing my posture at impact. This was so difficult to feel for me. Apparently I lose that spine angle and left my rear get under me. To deal with that I've let a hip slide get me forward into the ball. Lots of repetition the last 2 hours to get my lead hip and cheek to rotate around and back and get that weight to the back/outside of my lead foot. In addition I've had to push to get my shoulders to open at impact so my hands can continue forward naturally into impact rather than stall and release the club to impact. Naturally I had thin shot after thin shot. I've gotten better the last half hour to let my rear shoulder stay in the swing and be at that ball near impact. Feel so good about this. I know I've needed this to raise my ceiling. I'm sure there will be growing pains ahead but I will be better with this

It is stupidly absurd how much better I play when there is something on the line. Whether that be a tournament, a THP event, etc.

I simply lack the focus to play good golf in just a casual fun ground.

Maybe I need to do some sort of personal challenge during those rounds to keep my head in the right place.

It is stupidly absurd how much better I play when there is something on the line. Whether that be a tournament, a THP event, etc.

Maybe I need to do some sort of personal challenge during those rounds to keep my head in the right place.
Match play? All you had to do was ask

I learned that no matter how hard I try, how many things I change, how much I practice or how many drivers I buy I will always fall into the same damn miss when I lose focus for a split second.
This winter that ends.

I think we can all come up with something to get you more focused on the round.

Back