What golf stuff did you learn today?

The golf "hit" area , and the golf " pivot " area . Both happen well later than us amateurs think they happen . Wait a little more , and good things will happen

I learned that I often have high hopes for things golf related. Gear. Outings. Rounds with friends. Even my own ability to play good golf. All too often these high hopes fall short of expectations. Hopefully more realistic expectations lead to more enjoyment of all things golf for me next year...

Also, that I hate ebay's Global Shipping Program, and how it hides the actual carrier tracking info from me, when all I want is to know where my darned putter is.

I took a swing lesson last week. My stance was too wide and I was swaying in the backswing and during the downswing. So, I narrowed up my stance a bit, and trying to visualize rotating around my spine more. I know the outcome when I sway during my swing......a push out to the right and a bit of a slice. When things are clicking in my swing, my ball flight is straight--sometimes w/ a slight draw and it's a thing of beauty. The gentleman gave me some drills to do and all I have to do is get the reps in to make it muscle memory. My first time playing a round w/ the new mechanics, I hit some very good golf shots and at times, hit some very poor shots. I was quite happy w/ the swing change and I can't wait to play some more.

I finally learned the 'Right Hand Grip', I mean truly understand it!

What is more amazing is that my son is learning it from Day 1, so glad that he will have the correct fundamentals learned from the get-go and not a load of rubbish he will ave to un-learn.

Truly feeling blessed.

What is this, "right hand grip", you speak of?

Wow! Very informative. I may have to try this later on at the range. Thanks.

Wow! Very informative. I may have to try this later on at the range. Thanks.
No problem. Trust me, it feels strange at first but then it just feels spot-on!

The key is to shove your left-thumb kinda 'back and in', then use the first crease below your middle and ring fingers on your right hand to align your right hand on the club, or as ELK says "the lines God gave ya because God loves golf!" You do not want your 'nails showing' on your right hand, Alex Mercer doesn't like seeing your nails.

With this grip golf becomes a new fun game, because now you get to use your right hand!! I love it !!

No problem. Trust me, it feels strange at first but then it just feels spot-on!

The key is to shove your left-thumb kinda 'back and in', then use the first crease below your middle and ring fingers on your right hand to align your right hand on the club, or as ELK says "the lines God gave ya because God loves golf!" You do not want your 'nails showing' on your right hand, Alex Mercer doesn't like seeing your nails.

With this grip golf becomes a new fun game, because now you get to use your right hand!! I love it !!

I took a swing lesson the other day and I still have some work to do as far as rotating around my spine instead of moving lateral. Along w/ this new grip, I can release the club, and get that nice draw I've been looking for. Thanks again Raider and good luck to your son working w/ Elk.

Actually doing the drills instead of just watching them does wonders. It also helps to have an instructor there the first couple times too.
I'm pretty much working on the same thing Silverbullet01 is, but did the chair drill during the lesson to help ensure no swaying.

I took a lesson today. I learned that I didn't really involve my lower body nearly enough in my swing, and that explained my loss of club head speed this year. I needed to feel like I was transferring more weight into my right leg in my backswing, then drive my weight really hard into the left leg on the downswing.

I learned how to tame my duck hook by holding my release through the ball. This was something I learned a long time ago, but forgot about. The simple answer usually is the best answer for my swing or at least for my brain.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I learned how to tame my duck hook by holding my release through the ball. This was something I learned a long time ago, but forgot about. The simple answer usually is the best answer for my swing or at least for my brain.

I thought you learned that 2 weeks ago :)

That I spend to much on equipment and need to just stick with what i have and learn to swing it for now.

I thought you learned that 2 weeks ago :)

It takes a while for things to sink in. Thanks for your help Joe!

I FINALLY felt what it feels like to have the weight on the inside of your back leg on a driver swing....

As much as I want to think I can gain control by taking some power off my swing, it just never works. I have been trying to swing smooth and easy, and my ball striking has been very hit and miss. I dropped that during a 9 hole round today, and what an improvement. Ball striking was the best it's been in a while, and I picked back up quite a bit of distance. I flew two greens and drove it through a dogleg 3 times unexpectedly.

I talk fast, drive fast and walk fast, it only makes sense that I swing fast.

As much as I want to think I can gain control by taking some power off my swing, it just never works. I have been trying to swing smooth and easy, and my ball striking has been very hit and miss. I dropped that during a 9 hole round today, and what an improvement. Ball striking was the best it's been in a while, and I picked back up quite a bit of distance. I flew two greens and drove it through a dogleg 3 times unexpectedly.

Having played golf with you multiple times, I can easily see that being the case. Just need to go with your natural tendencies.

I FINALLY felt what it feels like to have the weight on the inside of your back leg on a driver swing....

I remember when I learned this. What a glorious day it was. It rivals the day I discovered chocolate covered potato chips!

Makes total sense to me. A committed golf swing is going to produce the best contact. You have to be committed to swing hard. Don't change a thing.

I learned that if I feel like I'm swinging 'Over the top' I'm actually swinging right down the line. Once this gets ingrained I'm going to be a happy man!

I learned that I will be teamed with 2 legendary THPers (Ole Gray and V.man) for Team GA against awesome FL THPers in the sure to be epic GA / FL "Gethering".

Having played golf with you multiple times, I can easily see that being the case. Just need to go with your natural tendencies.

Makes total sense to me. A committed golf swing is going to produce the best contact. You have to be committed to swing hard. Don't change a thing.

Yep, it makes sense. Now if the past I'd any indicator if the future I will have a particularly wild day 6 months from now and decide '' that's it, no more swinging out of my shoes, time to slow it down ''. It's a mean cycle.

It finally hit me, my length is not coming back, no, I knew I wouldn't be hitting long drives again but the length that matters is GONE. It ain't coming back. I had the back nine to myself, the front was packed but I was ahead of them working on some things. After a couple of bogies on the easiest par 5 and a couple of more on two of the tougher par 4s, it dawned on me. Second shots were killing me, the shots that used to be easy weren't anymore, it didn't matter about the driver. Driver was still getting me to distances that were manageable previously but I couldn't close the deal anymore. Instead of six or seven iron, it's 4 hybrid and I don't hit those so well and three hybrid is same distance as five iron was. So, it's not driver but the rest of the bag. Long irons are no longer a strength but a short-coming. Now that I finally realize the real problem, gotta work out something. Tomorrow, I will move up to the white tees and see if that's more fun. The guys I play with are already up there and I will be 66 in November so maybe it is time but it will still be a little tough.

It finally hit me, my length is not coming back, no, I knew I wouldn't be hitting long drives again but the length that matters is GONE. It ain't coming back. I had the back nine to myself, the front was packed but I was ahead of them working on some things. After a couple of bogies on the easiest par 5 and a couple of more on two of the tougher par 4s, it dawned on me. Second shots were killing me, the shots that used to be easy weren't anymore, it didn't matter about the driver. Driver was still getting me to distances that were manageable previously but I couldn't close the deal anymore. Instead of six or seven iron, it's 4 hybrid and I don't hit those so well and three hybrid is same distance as five iron was. So, it's not driver but the rest of the bag. Long irons are no longer a strength but a short-coming. Now that I finally realize the real problem, gotta work out something. Tomorrow, I will move up to the white tees and see if that's more fun. The guys I play with are already up there and I will be 66 in November so maybe it is time but it will still be a little tough.

Bruther coot it's hard to face ole man Father Time but he catches everybody in due time. Time to enjoy golf from tees that you are comfortable not forcing shots from. I waved the flag after a few surgeries myself and it kind of hurts but the circle of life goes on. Looking forward to seeing you weekend after next good buddy :thumb:

Back