What is the longest iron you carry? Why?

Love it when a thread of mine from yesteryear comes back to life!

Present day, 5i, but it’s more like a 4i since it’s 21*, I say that because I play it as such in my setup.

3 utility so not sure if that really counts. Hollow body definitely helps get the ballspeed and launch up.

4 iron for my one piece iron head.

Generally it's more like this around 20* loft I start wanting a lot more help in my iron head.

In San Diego, @Jman says to me, "Wow a 3 iron? Haven't seen one of these in a bag in a long time."
Then I hit the shiiiiiiiiiiiit out of it Hahahaha

I really want a U510. I am keeping myself in check right now though. The problem is that the overgrown wet winter ground I play on for the next few months is going to render my lob wedge useless and make putting a Utility iron in my bag seem a lot more reasonable ?. Having 15 clubs to choose 14 is not a bad idea though. Every course is different.

For me it's been every changing lately, as low as a 4i at times, currently it's a 6i. Really is typically dictated by what I'm doing at the top of my bag with woods and hybrids and then the 4 and/or 5 is on the chopping block. But I'm also looking at my 64* as a possible removal as well.

Currently a 5i. But, I do have a 4i, IF I want to put in the work to be able to hit properly!:ROFLMAO:

I've got a 20 degree 4 iron, a 21 degree driving iron and a 22-degree hybrid that get rotated in and out of the bag.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

I'm slowly creeping back up.

Current longest is my 6, but might introduce the 5 again. Hydrids are just so much easier to hit, however.

The longest iron in my set is a 5i. But I also carry a 23* utility iron. I'm much more comfortable with that than I am with a hybrid.

I actually carry two five irons right now: the Srixon 5 iron which goes about 10 yards further than my 6i; and the Mizuno JPX919 HM 5i which I hit 10-20 yards longer than the Srixon 5 iron.

Right now I seem to hit that Mizuno better than my actual hybrids. I really struggle to hit hybrids well - I'm not sure why (apart from my lack of talent & hand-eye coordination) but those have always been the toughest clubs for me to hit. Which is weird & frustrating because they are supposed to be easier to hit.

5i just because I can’t find a hybrid I like in that range. If I do then it’ll be 6i

i use to carry a mizuno 1iron. i use it to tee off with. i use to be able to hit that club with a nice low runner for about 240 yards but over the years i started shanking it more and more , i had to get rid of it. now the longest iron i carry is a 3 iron which i hit about 190 off of the tee. i don't hit it much off the turf unless i am trying to hit something low back in play.

5 iron. I would really like a 4 iron but the truth of it is that I stopped the iron set at 5i to save money.

May pick up the 4i in the future but I am satisfied with my 4 hybrid in that spot.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

5-iron. I took the 4-iron out for a 4/5 hybrid with a slightly higher loft. Ball flight is much better and it explodes off the face compared to the 4-iron.

7i. 3-6 are all ironwoods.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

26* 6i - plays around 165 yd for me anything longer goes to hybrid 3 - 20* 4 - 23* 5 - 26*

I was carrying a Cobra F9 4 iron for more than half the year and it was a real weapon, but my swing has deteriorated as the year advanced. Prior to having the F9 4 iron, I have never carried more than a 5 iron, and often have had a hybrid in place of the 5 iron. For the beginning of the next golf season, I plan to have my 6 iron as my longest iron, with 3 hybrids, a 3 wood and driver at the top end of my bag.

Currently 6 iron. I carry 5h(25*) and 4h(22*) that I hit very well, more consistently than equivalent irons. I have 4 and 5 iron that I swing well but cannot hit the ball. Still honing my skills so that might change :)

4 iron, but it is more of a rescue / layup club than a real weapon, some day I will find something that will fill that spot and stay for a while.

Thev longest set iron I have is a 5 iron but I also have a 21* utility iron. I'm more comfortable with some kind of iron in that slot.

I currently carry a 3i, use it in place of woods off the tee or longer par 5 fairways.

5 iron for me at the moment, but I'm wondering if I should have a 3 or 4. I do have a 3hybrid, but I don't think I have hit one straight shot with it :LOL:

Believe it or not my 7 iron. I find that hybrids are easier to hit and hit high vs mid irons.

Back