What is the worst golf purchase you've made this past year....

Tigerfansince72

Reaction score
Handicap
for me......got intoxicated twice this past year....

1. bought a set of Taylormade RAC TP muscle backs....even though I play to a 6 these stay in the garage...who am I kidding I need the forgiveness of the R9 irons.
2. bought a Taylormade Superfast 2.0 TP driver....took it back to Golfsmith and they told they had received a letter from Taylormade indicating their was a problem with their first release of this club and they were re releasing it. The first release had a tolerance of up to 5 degrees open...ouch. Thankfully they traded out with me at a very fair price towards an R11.

I bought an Odyssey White Ice Mini-T straight off Callaway's website for 179 when my golf shop had them for 100 in the discount section. Lesson learned: Look in the discount section too.

I bought 2 dozen TP Reds when my proshop closed them out a year ago - they are still sitting in my closet under 3 dozen Pentas, the ball I am now gaming. I think I paid $24/dozen, but I know I will never play them.

I wouldn't say I've made any bad purchases..just an excessive amount of clothes/shoes. My closet is stacked right now - no regrets in the long run though!

I don't like my Ogio Shadow bag because of the bottom pocket. It is a pill to deal with because the rods come out on each side and the pocket hangs open until I fix it. A real hassle. Dawgdaddy has the same problem with his Ogio bag.

I'm a 32 waist, but I wouldn't be caught dead in those pants! lol! I haven't made a bad purchase in the last year, but I have a "potential" bad purchase. After a couple years of watching me come home so upbeat from the golf course, my wife decided she wants to learn to play and see what all the fun is about. I purchased her a Nickalus beginner set and some accessories. I don't golf with a regular group of guys, so having a standard playing partner won't be a bad thing, but on the other hand.....wife...on the course.........with me. :) This could be a good thing, or really bad! lol

A couple hats that didn't fit like I hoped.

Last spring I was looking to add a club to my set. Researched a few, including wedges and chippers. I went with the chipper. Got an inexpensive one @ Golf Town for about $25. It was a Paradise brand model. Tried some hits inside on carpet in my living room. Hit well with it and thought, this'll do fine on the course.

But when I first began using it on the course. The results were not the same. I kept skulling my chips. Although I advanced the ball, it was not pretty. I used it for a few more rounds and no improvements came. So now it sits with my old set of clubs. I learned how to chip with my irons and perform the shot well and should've went with purchasing a lob wedge, which I eventually did.

Anyways, gave it a try & didn't like it.

A range finder I bought at Golfsmith. Poor Customer service at the shop. The product didn't work in the first place.

I wouldn't say I've made any bad purchases..just an excessive amount of clothes/shoes. My closet is stacked right now - no regrets in the long run though!

Clothes and shoes??? Those are NEVER a bad purchase :)

I don't like my Ogio Shadow bag because of the bottom pocket. It is a pill to deal with because the rods come out on each side and the pocket hangs open until I fix it. A real hassle. Dawgdaddy has the same problem with his Ogio bag.

Is this the "zipperless ball pocket" you are talking about?

GolfShot which is apparently now illegal.

Yes, it springs open which makes it easy to retrieve your balls quickly but the little rods on eachside slip out of the holes sometimes and it's a pain. My bag may be a 2010 bag and this may no longer be a problem...not sure.

Is this the "zipperless ball pocket" you are talking about?

nothign really sticks out but man that burner 2.0 driver with my swing was TOXIC

Yes, it springs open which makes it easy to retrieve your balls quickly but the little rods on eachside slip out of the holes sometimes and it's a pain. My bag may be a 2010 bag and this may no longer be a problem...not sure.

I too have this bag. Though the concept is great, it needs to go back to the design team because it lacks, IMO.

Tour Lock Pro. I just didn't use it enough. By the time I installed in my driver, the Razr Hawk got delivered and I hit that well without it.

I will post the worst product I had to use and deal with.

Harrison Shotmaker and it wasn't even close. It's not even that it was a horrible product, but I still cringe every time I see that thread come up. It was like a 3 month hassle for me.

Harrison Shotmaker and it wasn't even close. It's not even that it was a horrible product, but I still cringe every time I see that thread come up. It was like a 3 month hassle for me.

You're off your rocker dude. That's like the product of the year haha

You bought that?!

Is someone going to call the cops?

If someone said to me during a round "hey that's illegal that's an extra two shots" I'd just keep playing no big deal and think nothing of it.

As for me only thing I can think of is my 64* it's not exactly a regret though. I love it for the bunkers compared to my actual SW.

My Hirzl golf glove would be my worst purchase. Not due to any fault of the glove, as it's far and away the best I've ever used, but it's my worst purchase because I had to buy it to replace one I was reviewing for THP that I left in the cart after a tourney.

Sometime in the late 90's I recall buying a Prince Driver, the occassional hot face drive but overall the least satisfying driver I've ever owned and possibly my worst golf purchase.

My Callaway Sabertooth Putter. I still put the best with it, but I haven't gotten over that look yet, so I keep buying other putters to try.

Back