What is wrong with Golf Courses?

I guess I jsut disagree. To me the people with the most disposable income, teenagers, aren't learning the game. I think that part of it is because the game is hard to learn. A lot of teenagers don't want to spend the time to learn how to swing a golf club. The game is dying because young people are not picking the game up. They need to to fill the void(s) left by the oldest generations who grew up with golf, and too many teenagers aren't doing that.
Coming from a fellow teen, most kids I know don't think golf is a "cool" sport. This is one of the reasons many kids don't play. They think it is dumb and they don't have the patients to learn the game.
I also have to agree with the other kid that posted about money. Myself and the few good golfers at my school have fairly wealthy parents. They are able to pay for us to play several times a week, nice clubs, range sessions, memberships, etc.

If the game was broken into 6 holes that would give 3 starting points. Paying for 6 would be cheaper too.

If the game was broken into 6 holes that would give 3 starting points. Paying for 6 would be cheaper too.

I hate playing 9 holes. I would hate 6 or 12 even more.

Kevin

I agree with alot of what is being said here, I think the Tee it Forward system needs to adopted by the USGA and implemented on all courses...print it on the scorecards

0-5 Handicaps should play Gold Tees
5-10 Play the Black Tees
10-20 Play the Blue Tees
20+ play the whites
and Red for Women

I watch these guys everyweek that could break a 100 with a sledgehammer that insist on playing from the tips! Have the starter give tee box assingments...you ask each person in the group for a handicap or an average score and assign them to a tee box.

As far as green fees, I agree..I see to many average courses charging $75 or more for a round on the weekends and if you call the night before there are still tons of tee times available

Par 3's - 185 max
Par 4's - 425 max
Par 5's - 575 max

my home course has a 495 yard par 4(505 from the tips) that almost always plays into the wind with water all the way down the left side of the fairway! I have to hit 2 great shots to hit the green and if I happen to par that hole I feel like I made a birdie...it's ridiculous.

I disagree with the tee box by handicaps. That would a hindrance to many. There is quite a few low handicappers that don't hit the ball a long way, but use their short game to score.

Vice versa someone who hits the ball far might not be interested in driver gap wedge all day *cough belbin cough* Lots of scenarios where that wouldn't work out.

--
tapatalk

While I do agree that golf is expensive. There are deals to be had. Guess I shouldnt complain about paying 18 to 20 bucks to walk 18.

With respect to jr. programs, I wish there was the programs then there are now. AJGA was just forming and my state program was still a newborn. Now were my parents rich, no, would they have made it work. Certainly. But I agree there isnt enough being done to get younger, like 5 to 10 year olds I think.

To help the game. Find a way to speed play. Shorten courses with tee boxes. Find a way to make people want to come to your course and offer specials. There are ways, and people wanting to play. Its up to the courses to get those people there.

Anyone ever go to golfnow.com? Great site for great deals in your area...

I don't like to play a 5 hour round of golf any more than the next guy, but I hate feeling rushed even more. If the golf courses aren't filling their tee times, then maybe they should spread them out a little more. This way no one feels rushed, or held up.

Agreed 100%
I have had rounds where the is a 4some on the green, we are in the fairway and there is a 4some waiting to tee off. Not fun and negatively affects my game.
Golf courses need to spread out the tee times by a few minutes more.

You aren't a true golfer unless you love to play the game and enjoy it. Yes, the game is frustrating (i have been doing swing changes for almost 2 months now) but, it is relaxing and fun to hang out with people. You can have a fun evening and still be competitive with your friends. I think it should stay the same it is maybe speed up play a little but other than that keep it the same. It is for fun not to stress you out. It is a way to get out of the house and away from everything in your life. Golf is the life!!!!!! :D

Shorter rough and less hazards would certainly make the game a little easier, but I feel that if you play this game then you've already accepted the fact that's it a difficult game. That's why it feels so freakin good to turn in a decent score. The game shouldn't be watered down. Keeping green fees reasonable and keeping courses to 6000 yards would go a long way I think. I know a few courses that you can play for under 25 bucks. That's a little over a dollar a hole. I think most teenagers could scrape together the money. Kids still go to movies, eat pizza and smoke pot, right?

I think the lack of new people picking up the game is more a cultural thing. Entertainment has become so fragmented, and going outside and playing an actual game, with actual balls, is just not appealing to alot of people.

I

Coming from a fellow teen, most kids I know don't think golf is a "cool" sport. This is one of the reasons many kids don't play. They think it is dumb and they don't have the patients to learn the game.
I also have to agree with the other kid that posted about money. Myself and the few good golfers at my school have fairly wealthy parents. They are able to pay for us to play several times a week, nice clubs, range sessions, memberships, etc.

Coming from yet ANOTHER teen I agree with this 100%. The best golfer at our school has the richest parents in the school and guess where he's getting a scholarship too? UGA. He's able to play all around the country which gets him noticed, especially when he does well. I can't pay the travel fees and such. Granted, you still have to perform but it's still wrong. And the whole thing with paying for movies and stuff. I have a Girlfriend. I have to make her happy. I'll leave it at that.

Also, the whole thing of Golf being "Cool". I was on the side 2 years ago who thought Golf was okay, but not something to be watched or enjoyed and it certainly wasn't "cool". I mean who likes playing a sport with old people who dress like they're going to church? Not teenagers. Then I found Rickie Fowler and the rest is history but I can't certainly atest for the argument Golf is losing money because young people won't play.

Golf is fine. Leave it alone. I hate the idea of making it easier. I hate the idea of only letting certain handicaps having to play certain tees. I hate the idea of making OB play like a hazard. I hate the idea of setting limits for length of holes.

All those things can be addressed by individual golfers if they so choose. Price is what it is. Golf is expensive, but there are plenty of low cost alternatives. The market will weed out the those that are too pricey. It's already happening. You want to make the game more popular? Take a kid golfing and show them how cool it is. When I was a kid you were lucky if there were two or three tournaments to play in a Summer. Now State PGA organizations run multiple events every week. And most of them are full, at least here in Cheeseland.

Golf will come back to a level it should be at now that the Tiger and real estate bubbles have burst.

Throw a few more marshals out there, add a couple shorter tees and encourage, don't force, people to play them. Golf will fine.

Kevin

Very well stated--in my OPINION. I see market forces causing some of the changes people are talking about here. But golf is not going to recover any time soon.

It is not like Golf is in a vacuum. Many, many segments of our economy are being hammered right not. The best thing that could happen for golf (and everything else) is for the economy to recover.

Coming from yet ANOTHER teen I agree with this 100%. The best golfer at our school has the richest parents in the school and guess where he's getting a scholarship too? UGA. He's able to play all around the country which gets him noticed, especially when he does well. I can't pay the travel fees and such. Granted, you still have to perform but it's still wrong. And the whole thing with paying for movies and stuff. I have a Girlfriend. I have to make her happy. I'll leave it at that.

Also, the whole thing of Golf being "Cool". I was on the side 2 years ago who thought Golf was okay, but not something to be watched or enjoyed and it certainly wasn't "cool". I mean who likes playing a sport with old people who dress like they're going to church? Not teenagers. Then I found Rickie Fowler and the rest is history but I can't certainly atest for the argument Golf is losing money because young people won't play.

What's "wrong" about it?

Kevin

While golf is an expensive game, I agree with ESox here. I don't spend my money on video games or on going out with friends any more. I spend pretty much all of my money on golf nowadays. You just have to be committed. Golf is expensive for everyone, not just kids. I choose golf over everything else.

From my perspective a new golfer, golf is tough. Just a few of my buddies would even play golf and all but one is a good golfer. I play once a week with my one buddy who is retired and has been playing for 40 years. I'm learning but it can be real ugly a times. The game is improving and I hope it keeps going that way. I bought a set of clubs, a bag, balls, training aids, and a cart. Being a consumer of golf stuff I read the reviews on golfing equipment on this forum. I'm also over 50 (way over), but I see kids at the driving range when I practice. Golf is fun but not easy.

From my perspective a new golfer, golf is tough. Just a few of my buddies would even play golf and all but one is a good golfer. I play once a week with my one buddy who is retired and has been playing for 40 years. I'm learning but it can be real ugly a times. The game is improving and I hope it keeps going that way. I bought a set of clubs, a bag, balls, training aids, and a cart. Being a consumer of golf stuff I read the reviews on golfing equipment on this forum. I'm also over 50 (way over), but I see kids at the driving range when I practice. Golf is fun but not easy.

It's a tough game to come to later in life, no doubt. Stick with it. It's worth it.

Kevin

What's "wrong" about it?

Kevin

That his parents have the funds to send him around the country and that's why he will be playing golf in college.

I guess I jsut disagree. To me the people with the most disposable income, teenagers, aren't learning the game. I think that part of it is because the game is hard to learn. A lot of teenagers don't want to spend the time to learn how to swing a golf club. The game is dying because young people are not picking the game up. They need to to fill the void(s) left by the oldest generations who grew up with golf, and too many teenagers aren't doing that.

I don't know about this buddy. Maybe they have a larger percentage of their income that is disposable, but most working kids nowadays are broke. Golf is very difficult for a teen to finance on his or her own.

That his parents have the funds to send him around the country and that's why he will be playing golf in college.

So if your parents had the funds to send you around the country which would allow you to play college golf, I assume you would say, "Mom. Dad. I appreciate what you're trying to do, but no thanks. That would be wrong."

Kevin

Esox,For your average teen, even a frugal one, golf is VERY expensive. Let me put it this way. Last year, I was limited to one round every 6 weeks for pure financial reasons. Gas to the course, equipment, fees, it all adds up quickly for a kid, and I spent 95% of my disposable income on golf. Now I have a club membership and a decent job, so the strain is eased, but it is still tough at times.

Esox,For your average teen, even a frugal one, golf is VERY expensive. Let me put it this way. Last year, I was limited to one round every 6 weeks for pure financial reasons. Gas to the course, equipment, fees, it all adds up quickly for a kid, and I spent 95% of my disposable income on golf. Now I have a club membership and a decent job, so the strain is eased, but it is still tough at times.

Yeah, Jacob. I was a teenage golfer once myself. With a limited income. I'm asking the other young man why it's "wrong" for parents that have the means to support a junior golf career for their child to do so.

I'm pretty sure I know the answer, but I'm looking for some youthful insight.

Kevin

I can't really imagine how much it sucks when you have to pay for each round. I'm spoiled in that I never have to pay for a round if I don't want to. That helps me save a lot of money.

I was refering to earlier posts about how kids spend cash on tech.

I agree completely with what you are saying about *wrong* or *right*
Yeah, Jacob. I was a teenage golfer once myself. With a limited income. I'm asking the other young man why it's "wrong" for parents that have the means to support a junior golf career for their child to do so.

I'm pretty sure I know the answer, but I'm looking for some youthful insight.

Kevin

That is how my situation is now, provided I walk instead of ride, which I do. Golf balls still suck. Had to buy them for the first time in a few months the other day and felt dirty afterwards. I haven't bought tees in a year. I pick them up on the course.
I can't really imagine how much it sucks when you have to pay for each round. I'm spoiled in that I never have to pay for a round if I don't want to. That helps me save a lot of money.

Back