What qualifies as a par 6?

Ndfan301

Reaction score
Handicap
Played a round today, was my 3rd time playin this course, and that means 3rd time playing there par 6 5th hole. Played from the white, and it's 600+ yards, IIRC roughly 640. It seemed to take FOREVER to play.

My question is, from the reds, it's only 450 yards, and this entire hole is uphill. If they were to bring tee's up to the reds, would it still be a par 6? Or would it have to change? And what exactly is the yardage or difficulty need to make a par 6?

Didn't know they existed outside of video games. We have one in the area that plays 625 yards but it's still a par 5.

I'd assume since every hole is considered a two putt for par that any hole the architect thinks it should take 4 shots to get there would be a par 6.

u3eda9a3.jpg

This one is in NJ

There's one in Myrtle that's over 800 yards lol. It's fun but more of a novelty than anything. I think it's at Farmstead, I don't remember.

Gibbs sounds like a funny guy in that article. I think it'd be fun to play the worlds longest hole for my golf bucket list.

I think our par 4 hole (#5) at my home course, does for me :beat-up:

That's interesting...a par 6. We have a local course that has a 700 yard par 5, but no par 6's that I know of.

freedom_zps067ab39f.jpg

Maybe it's just me, but the entire idea of a par 6 is just stupid. I'm for difficult holes, but this is basically a gimmick, and I hate that.

That Gibbs guy sounds like a jackass to me. It is fine to keep the record but sheesh, have a little tact. WWII references???

Anyway, my home course has a par 5 that is 646 / 621 / 589 / 548. First shot is a dog leg right with the corner protected by trees. The end of the fairway straight is protected be trees, shrubs, long grass and an out building. The end of the fairway on the dogleg is protected by water. Nothing like target golf with the driver off the tee to leave yourself as much as 450 in. The second shot is a forced carry over water, usually from an uneven lie in the fairway which is also tree lined on both sides. The third shot is to a big multi tiered green with bunkers front left and right. Tough hole.

That Gibbs guy sounds like a jackass to me. It is fine to keep the record but sheesh, have a little tact. WWII references???

Anyway, my home course has a par 5 that is 646 / 621 / 589 / 548. First shot is a dog leg right with the corner protected by trees and the end of the fairway protected be trees, shrubs, long grass and an out building. Nothing like target golf with the driver on a par five to leave yourself as much as 450 in. The second shot is a forced carry over water, usually from an uneven lie in the fairway which is also tree lined on both sides. The third shot is to a big multi tiered green with bunkers front left and right. Tough hole.

Yeah, that actually annoyed me a little, and made him sound like an idiot.

I never heard of a par 6... very intresting.

Played a round today, was my 3rd time playin this course, and that means 3rd time playing there par 6 5th hole. Played from the white, and it's 600+ yards, IIRC roughly 640. It seemed to take FOREVER to play.

My question is, from the reds, it's only 450 yards, and this entire hole is uphill. If they were to bring tee's up to the reds, would it still be a par 6? Or would it have to change? And what exactly is the yardage or difficulty need to make a par 6?

Yardage I think has to break 7 bills?

If you get on in 2 and 1 putt is it still a albatross? What is it if your 2nd shot goes in the hole? Highly unlikely I know, but still.

I played at a course in VA called Meadows Farms outside of Fredericksburg that has an 841 yard Par 6 that billed as the Guiness World Record longest hole in the U.S. The hole sucked, the entire course sucked and reminded me of an overblown Putt-Putt course, simply full of gimmicks.

Meadow Farms Golf Course
Locust Grove, Virginia
#12, 841 yards, par 6 golfers travel from around the U.S. to play this Guiness World Record holder. “If you build it, they will come,” says golf pro Bill Gillenwater, noting that the length of #12 is mainly a marketing ploy. But measuring in at just under a half-mile long, this hole is just one of the many novelty holes at Meadow Farms. At the 27-hole course you can take a shot from behind a waterfall, onto an island green, or from behind home plate onto what very clearly resembles a baseball field.

FREDlongest_zps5f872594.jpg

If you get on in 2 and 1 putt is it still a albatross? What is it if your 2nd shot goes in the hole? Highly unlikely I know, but still.

If your second shot goes in the hole on a par 6, I think it'd classify as a double albatross. Also, it'd make you a $&@#*** cause that's incredibly unfair haha

Anyway, my home course has a par 5 that is 646 / 621 / 589 / 548. First shot is a dog leg right with the corner protected by trees. The end of the fairway straight is protected be trees, shrubs, long grass and an out building. The end of the fairway on the dogleg is protected by water. Nothing like target golf with the driver off the tee to leave yourself as much as 450 in. The second shot is a forced carry over water, usually from an uneven lie in the fairway which is also tree lined on both sides. The third shot is to a big multi tiered green with bunkers front left and right. Tough hole.
not if you hit straight into the 8th fairway. Thats typically what i do. But yes, that hole is a b*tch. I've double bogeyed it more times than not.

I played at a course in VA called Meadows Farms outside of Fredericksburg that has an 841 yard Par 6 that billed as the Guiness World Record longest hole in the U.S. The hole sucked, the entire course sucked and reminded me of an overblown Putt-Putt course, simply full of gimmicks.

Meadow Farms Golf Course
Locust Grove, Virginia
#12, 841 yards, par 6 golfers travel from around the U.S. to play this Guiness World Record holder. “If you build it, they will come,” says golf pro Bill Gillenwater, noting that the length of #12 is mainly a marketing ploy. But measuring in at just under a half-mile long, this hole is just one of the many novelty holes at Meadow Farms. At the 27-hole course you can take a shot from behind a waterfall, onto an island green, or from behind home plate onto what very clearly resembles a baseball field.

FREDlongest_zps5f872594.jpg

This place seems fun. That'd be a sweet THP outing.

Oh and by the way, Bridgestone Golf rules!

One of our local courses has a 650 yard par 5 which just eats shorter hitters alive. Of course its the 18th hole so it has ruined many a round. I dont mind it and it brings a big smile to my face whenever I par it.

I've never encountered a par 6, personally. With all the talk about costs, pace of play and environmental impact that the game is dealing with now, it seems kind of ridiculous to even build or maintain holes like this. But, if I was playing a course like that, I'd probably enjoy having a go at them just like everyone else.

Here ya go. My dad had a bag tag from this place when I was a kid.

8e2ade2y.jpg

Screw a par 6, how about a 277 yard par 3?

I would think for it to be considered a par 6, it would need to be a true 4 shots to get to the green. For the pros, I would think that would mean over 800 yards (300 drive, 250, 250 would barely get there, so maybe even over 900 yards). For me personally, any holes over 700 I would need 3 great shots to hit for an eagle putt. So I would say a hole (from whatever tee box you play), should need that same great Drive/3w/3w to get an eagle putt.

I could conceivably see a shorter par 6 if there were a bunch of forced carries that were designed so that only the stupid/very courageous would try to go over them and hit the green in 3.

Back