What shot are you afraid to hit?

Tadashi70

Reaction score
Handicap
This isn't about the dream shot you never practice. This is about a basic run of the mill shot that makes your tense up. This is the only conclusion that I can come to when watching my playing partners swing the club.

I have yet to play with anyone one at thp that didn't have skills to hit and play descent golf. Yet I see some of the craziest shots when I tee it up with them. I am not immune to the crazy shots either.

I started thinking about what I was worried about and started to think about by big swing flaw. I am afraid of not holding my spine angle and hitting then or low groove shots. Guess what, that's what I hit more than any other shot.

Wardy said a few simple words to me on the 18th tee. He said and I am paraphrasing, swing your swing and let it happen. Basically, trust your swing and hit it like you know how. This was echoed by Bernhard when we played.

So what shot are you afraid to hit that if you trusted would change your scores and time on the course.

I am scared to play a big draw even though its my natural shape.
I fight it and fight it even though I should just embrace it like I used to.

I am scared to play a big draw even though its my natural shape.
I fight it and fight it even though I should just embrace it like I used to.
Embrace that draw next time out and let us know how it worked out.

Short shots over a hazard. It can be as simple as a pitch over a trap or a short par 3 over water. I have no idea why they bother me so much either, but I absolutely tense up and it affects my game. I'm getting better about the short shots over bunkers with some practice, but there's nothing more terrifying in golf for me than standing over the ball on a par 3 over water.

Longer shots over water do not bother me at all. We have a 200 yard Par 3 over a pond on my home course and it does not bother me at all, but a 120 yard shot over water and I'm done. Just one of those odd mental things for me. Lack of confidence, I guess.

Good question Panda, I hate the carry over water shot with anything more than 140 yards to carry. I'm a fairly low ball hitter, so this always messes with my mind.

What shot are you afraid to hit?

I don't know If afraid is the right word. But the shot I dread most is a tee shot that requires a definite draw to be in decent position. Ive given up trying to force it and will still set up for a fade, knowing I may not be in position to reach the green, but at least I won't end up with a horrible result from trying to hit a shot shape I can't really call upon demand.

I'm not afraid to hit any shot. Some might take more thought and I know I execute less but I commit and execute the best I can. If fear enters the equation I would be done for. Just like going in the corners in hockey you can't play scared.

Any sort of fade. I fear any shot that moves right

Last edited:
This used to be short chip shots over a bunker. I would always tense up and leave it short in the bunker. With quite a bit of work, this shot doesn't bother me anymore.

The one shot that gives me trouble is a driver with water on the right. Trees, OB or houses on the right never bother me, but put water over there and I'm hitting a huge slice every time. I just can't mentally shake this habit.

A draw into a green to avoid trouble. If I only need to hit a draw for a pin placement, I have no trouble, but as soon as I have to start it over trouble, I get weak in the knees.

High pitch or partial swing into a green fronted with water. My mental nightmare.

After the round I played yesterday, all of them. :act-up:

Shots that involve a lot of carry over water. Just ask hawk...180 out laying up like a boss.
But that was pre heavenwood

My two shots that scare me the most are driver off the tee right now, and the side hill below the feel ball. The driver is just so inconsistent right now I'm a mental wreck with it. The side hill below the feet shot is one I know I can hit but I cringe every time I have the lie. Half the time I don't stay down on it and only catch about half ball low on the face and it's a horrible shot. Need to commit to it and stay down on it, but mentally just messes with me.

Very short chips with the green sloping away from me. Longer chips don't cause my knees to knock like those short ones (15'?) And I lose all sense of feel.

Trying to hit a fade with the ball even slightly above my feet. Especially with 6i & up.

I just know I'll stick the toe in the ground.

30-40 yards. I still ned to gain confidence in my low wedge distances.

Tee shot with the driver, slice slice slice...

iPhone Tapatalk

Any sort of fade. I fear any shot that moves right

And I play the other way. I want to take the left side completely out of play, and do for the most part.

And I play the other way. I want to take the left side completely out of play, and do for the most part.
Off the tee I'm pretty straight, for the most part. I usually only miss right. Into a green, I can't fade anything in. I hit a pretty high ball. If anybody says that draws don't hold greens, then they don't hit the ball high enough.

Im not really afraid to hit anything. If I thought I couldn't hit something, I simply wouldn't try it. I don't think there is any type of shot that HAS to be hit, there is always an alternative.

That said the shot I'm most afraid of is the dreaded greenside shot on a downhill lie.

The shot that scares me the most is a longer bunker shot, ie) anything besides greenside. As I do not practice this or end up in the situation much I tense up and usually end up hitting thin or leave it in the bunker

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Most medium length chips. Tendency on most is to leave these well short. Not sure why I'm so afraid of going past the hole.

Short sided 40 yard pitch over bunkers. I can hit the shot and stop it without the bunker beind there but soon as I see the bunker, it goes into the bunker.

4 wood out of the rough would be the next. I usually lay up or just hit a hard 4 iron instead and hope it runs.

200+ yds shots into the green. Just eat me up for some reason. It's usually going at the green in 2 on the 5 par, or on a long 3 par. Mentally I get intimidated. I know it's in there, but it messes with me in a bad kind of way.

edit: no my intent was not to sound like an Internet Golfer :). But I see its that rage now.

Last edited:
Back