What's the deal with hybrids?

CBaker

Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
So I've noticed over my time on THP that hybrids are for some reason somewhat of an interesting case in the golf equipment world. I understand why there are certain types of irons, or certain drivers, even wedges that some may not like...but I've never seen another complete style/line of equipment been so polarizing. "Hate" is a term used a lot when it comes to hybrids, and not just certain brands or types of hybrids, it's used for hybrids in general. If someone tries a new iron out and "hates" it...they don't dismiss irons all together and say they hate irons, they understand they just don't like those irons. With as many options there are out there, we've all come across that. But what's with hybrids? Is it one or two bad experiences and they are written off all together? Is it trial after trial of bad results that causes this hate? Hybrids are no longer the new kid in town, so why has the stigma stuck around?

So what say you, THP? What seems to be the deal with hybrids that causes this polarity that we don't see with other golf equipment?

My only thought is that they're a "disposable" line of equipment. You don't need a hybrid in your bag. And with companies like Callaway routinely offering up to a 9W in fairways, you can easily find a fairway club to match your gaps up to your irons. Me personally, I hit hybrids better than I do fairway woods so I'm firmly in the hybrid camp.

I think they're polarizing because they're the "newest" type of club on the scene still. They aren't a "traditional" type of club to many because they grew up playing long irons when they learned the game. Despite the pro's even accepting them and the VAST majority playing at least one, there is still a resentment by many amateurs for sure. Which to me, is insane.

You can hit them higher, softer and with more forgiveness than a long iron... what's not to like? Pro or not. I guess maybe the better players can't shape their shots or control trajectory quite as well but that's the only issue I could even imagine.

I think hate is a strong word. Personally I think its the way they look and the lack of understanding how to hit them. A lot of golfers struggle to hit woods of any kind and even though they are getting better they still have that look to them. For me I have exactly 1 in the bag. I don't love it, I'll pull it out on occasion, but in most cases I'd much rather hit an iron. I can't see myself ever having more than 1 in the bag for the foreseeable future.

i think jman has a good point about the newness of the clubs. people don't know whether to swing them like an iron or a fairway wood. i understand that many people will say to swing your irons like your fairway woods, but there are some mental hurdles to cross when holding the different clubs. that's one type of "hate" i see.

the other type of "hate" i see are people who hook hybrids. i am not sure why, but that seems to be a very common miss with hybrids.

both of the above situations are entirely user error, not the fault of the clubs. i firmly believe there is a hybrid for everyone and that they should be in everyone's bags.

personally, i had to find a hybrid that worked for me before i could fully commit. now, i love them. i don't hit them into par 4s very often based on the set of tees i choose to play, so hybrids fit the need for accurate driving on tight holes, and layups on par 5s.

Personally I love my hybrids, can't imagine what I'd use instead of them. Are people stilling carrying 3-4 irons? or are they using woods? The combination of accuracy and ease of use, I don't see what the fuss is about.

My hate isnt centered around dislike for the hybrid as a whole or because of the tech and whats its supposed to do

My hate is becase I hit long irons better than them and fairway woods too...thats a me things and trust me Id LOVE to hit hybrids better

I know a lot of people I see that struggle with them have issues with pulls or hooks. Most of these were caused by lie angle. A few people bent theirs flatter and saw night and day difference, and others cut them shorter to get better results. It's really all about fit and making a good swing.

Sent from my SM-N910T3 using Tapatalk

I know a lot of people I see that struggle with them have issues with pulls or hooks. Most of these were caused by lie angle. A few people bent theirs flatter and saw night and day difference, and others cut them shorter to get better results. It's really all about fit and making a good swing.

Sent from my SM-N910T3 using Tapatalk

This is commonly heard and one of the things that stands out to me is shortly after seeing how they hit a 3 iron.

I think the problem with hybrids is the difficulty level of the club they seek to replace. Give anyone a long iron and they tolerate some pretty healthy misses. Give them a hybrid, and while they may not miss length wise, they find other ways to make mistakes.

It seems to be a tough club to master, but they also get treated much worse than they should.

I once had a set of Mizuno blades back in the day when I was shooting some of my best most consistent scores ever. The 3 iron for that set, didn't last a week in my bag! As good as I was swinging I KNEW a hybrid was more consistent and easier to hit. As others have said, I too hit hybrids better off the deck that I do a fairway wood. I have a LOT of confidence in my hybrid, and I'll continue to be in that "camp" of people who game them.

I think this biggest issue is thatching hybrids you need to hit down just like an iron & many tend to sweep it like a FW. That seems to be the biggest issue along with head size. I tend to gravitate towards the smaller head hybrids as I'm more comfortable with them.

I have a 4-hybrid, but I recently replaced my 5-iron with a Callaway Big Bertha 5-hybrid. Should have done it years ago.

I guess people just prefer to hit low shots that won't hold the green and off center hits that don't go anywhere in exchange for being able to work a club even though they can't even control the club they are working

I think they're polarizing because they're the "newest" type of club on the scene still. They aren't a "traditional" type of club to many because they grew up playing long irons when they learned the game. Despite the pro's even accepting them and the VAST majority playing at least one, there is still a resentment by many amateurs for sure. Which to me, is insane.
Golf has such a history and some who have been playing for so long and seeing all the changes, I totally think it has to do with that "old school" mentality vs the newer. If the anchoring hadn't been banned I think it would still be going through some of this polarization as well.

I currently game a 19* and I love it. It's my go to for narrow fairways. I didn't even realize there was hate associated with them, but I agree with Jman on the whole newness factor. All I know is they work for me so I'll continue to game one!

I know my issues previously were just preconceived notions that there was no way i would be able to get the distance i need and be any more accurate that i could be with a long iron. Sort of why i gravitated to the UT. But after being fitted into the perfect hybrid for me, that notion goes right out the window and the XR is one of my favorite clubs to hit

My brother golfed a lot in the 90's but stopped when he went to med school. Last year we were hitting balls at a range and he tried my 2&3 hybrids as well as my 3 wood. He said the hybrids felt & looked to him like a 4 or 5 fairway wood in the 90's. Maybe it's just labels.

Easier to hit than the long irons they are designed to replace, and more forgiving...

I dont hate My Hybrid.

I think the issue with a lot of people is the idea that they "go left". This is a swing issue with most and people are less tolerant of a miss when they are touted as forgiving and have much less margin for acceptance then the same miss with a fairway or even driver.

I read this thread title in Seinfeld's voice....

Others have already touched on this, but the problem is they are a club style advertised as being easier to hit than long irons. So people that struggle with the game go out and buy them thinking they are going to be a miracle club, only to find out that they can't hit them well either. Those same people struggle with long irons, no doubt, but long irons aren't being touted as "easier to hit."

So in short, golfers sometimes have unreasonable expectations.

The tendency to hook a ball with hybrids affects people's perceptions. When they struggle to get the desired ball flight or end up with misses that are about the same as the iron they are trying to replace. I think many buy a hybrid on a whim where with other clubs they might demo a bit so the let down factor comes into play and it's easier to ditch a hybrid for a wood or iron where with irons it's a bigger purchase

My hate isnt centered around dislike for the hybrid as a whole or because of the tech and whats its supposed to do

My hate is becase I hit long irons better than them and fairway woods too...thats a me things and trust me Id LOVE to hit hybrids better

Quoting both of these posts as to a degree I can relate to both of them

I grew up playing long irons and for a long time had a set of Pings that included a 3i and 4i, and when I changed to my Z545 irons this year I initially bought 5i-PW to try and see if I had a gap between the 5i and 5W which would need filled. I will be honest and say that with how easy I found it to hit the 5i I just placed the order for the 4i without hitting any hybrids at all and I have no regrets as I do hit the 4i well

As Mike says, I am also very happy with how I hit both the 4i and my 5W, in fact my 5W is probably one of the best clubs in my bag that I will hit from both tee and fairway when the situation is right, so I have yet to hit any hybrids but I have no doubt the time will come when I will hit them and may well wish I had done sooner

Back