Votes: 14 12.3%
  • $150 -- $199

Votes: 3 2.6%
  • Under -- $299

Votes: 1 0.9%
  • Price does Not Matter

Votes: 46 40.4%

• Total voters
I’ve bought dozens of used putters over the years and most were under $100. Recently I picked up a pair of Odyssey O’Works putters from the CPO site on a bogo deal for $88 each. One had the plastic on the head and the other one looked like it had been used for a round or two. They have become my gamers.
I took the question to mean new putters. A used putter with brand recognition seems different to me.

There is a big difference between cheap and inexpensive. It comes down to materials and design.

I voted price does not matter. Cheap to me is based on quality or value. Does it look and feel good for the money spent.

I took the question to mean new putters. A used putter with brand recognition seems different to me.

I was not thinking new likely because I currently have 34 putters and all but 3 of them were purchased used. I would never game a Top Flite or other "cheap" putter but I enjoy getting deals on name brand putters. Only about 5 or 6 of my putters were over $150 and all the putters are a name brand. I have mostly Odyssey, Ping, Cleveland, Seemore, and Taylormade in my collection.

I have zero idea about this. I assume if the price is low enough that the price means I'm getting cheap materials.

A lot of people are commenting on materials.
What metal does one consider cheap or not premium when they are combing through the putter section of a store?

There is a big difference between cheap and inexpensive. It comes down to materials and design.

Scrap,
Im curious your thoughts on the above.

A lot of people are commenting on materials.
What metal does one consider cheap or not premium when they are combing through the putter section of a store?

I consider aluminum to be cheap. For example The Cleveland Putters are inexpensive but don’t consider them cheap but I do think Cure Putters are cheap. It’s just perception I suppose.

Personally price doesn't matter, if I can putt good with it, I don't care if its $50 or $300

I agree. Jim Furyk won the FedEX Cup with a $39 putter he picked up at a local golf shop, while getting ready to play the then Deutsche Bank.

This right here. The Huntington Beach line says hello.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I like the HB a lot, but I'm going to buck a lot of the comments and say that while it is well made, it all comes down to whether you consider a milled putter a necessity. I think there's a lot more value in some of the insert options out there. I think you can do a lot more with a multimaterial construction.

I consider aluminum to be cheap.

What would you make of the new EXO line from Odyssey or a number of the Scotty Cameron putters?

I am asking genuinely as I recently was on a panel to discuss this topic and it was rather interesting.

Brand, not price is what defines "Cheap" in my book. If it's available at K-Mart, it's cheap.

What would you make of the new EXO line from Odyssey or a number of the Scotty Cameron putters?

I am asking genuinely as I recently was on a panel to discuss this topic and it was rather interesting.

I expanded on my original post.

The Exo Line comes across to me that they have spent a lot of time developing the face insert and to get a quality feel and roll and is more than just aluminium. Scotty’s well I’m not much of a Scotty guy and don’t see anything special about them. I would rather play with a new Cleveland putter.

The more I think about it I should add that if a putter is really firm when you putt I consider that cheap as well.

If it uses inferior parts, then it's considered cheap. But who cares, as long as it gets the ball in the hole. Call my putter cheap as I'm laughing all the way to the bank after beating you 9 & 8.

Like bamboo & a shell ... Thurston Howell III would consider his putter cheap but hey, that's all Gilligan had to work with. HA!

I expanded on my original post.

The Exo Line comes across to me that they have spent a lot of time developing the face insert and to get a quality feel and roll and is more than just aluminium. Scotty’s well I’m not much of a Scotty guy and don’t see anything special about them. I would rather play with a new Cleveland putter.

The more I think about it I should add that if a putter is really firm when you putt I consider that cheap as well.

I agree completely on the Exo line and I'm actually an anti Scotty guy because it seems 40% of the guys at our club game them. I gamed a Scotty mid slant over a decade ago but with so many guys gaming them now there is no way I could put one in my bag. Luckily at my new club in Minnesota I doubt if I will see nearly as many Scotty's.

If it uses inferior parts, then it's considered cheap. But who cares, as long as it gets the ball in the hole. Call my putter cheap as I'm laughing all the way to the bank after beating you 9 & 8.

Like bamboo & a shell ... Thurston Howell III would consider his putter cheap but hey, that's all Gilligan had to work with. HA!

Im asking each. What do you consider inferior parts?

Probably misunderstanding the question but no putter is considered cheap to me.

Played a round with a Senior a few weeks ago and his putter looked like it was from 1960 filled with lead tape all over it a crusty grip.

He had 27 putts over 18 holes. That'll work.

I voted for under $99 dollars... That price point is where you start seeing lower quality materials being used...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Im asking each. What do you consider inferior parts?

Not milled stainless steel, copper or carbon steel. Just your run of the mill parts that look like no time was taken to build.

Not milled stainless steel, copper or carbon steel. Just your run of the mill parts that look like no time was taken to build.

Makes sense. Can you give an example of a putter like this?

Really enjoying the conversation everybody.

I voted price doesn’t matter. While cost can have a big effect on it and does, a more expensive putter can still feel cheap depending on looks or material. Strictly talking price, under $99 and it’s going to seem cheap.

Ah I voted wrong then.

If cheap is referring to quality then I'd say it has no price association. Cleveland milled putters and Wilson Infinite line come in at $99 but have no glaring issues with quality. I've seen some putters for $200+ that look like they used the cheapest paint and the worst painter they could find.

Oh and I want to add that IMO the 2016 Scotty Canerons became cheap the second they put a strip of double-sided tape in a $500 putter. Calling it an engineered polymer just makes it more egrigious IMO.

Makes sense. Can you give an example of a putter like this?

Really enjoying the conversation everybody.

I will when I get home. I have one or two that would fit this category that I can take a picture of.

Under $99 is cheap to me, but I voted for price doesn't matter as I don't care how cheap a putter is as long as it works for me.

Everybody and his brother is buying lathes and blocks of steel to become a boutique putter company.

Voted Price does Not Matter. Inferior materials or workmanship can be had at any price. Just because it costs a lot doesn't automatically make it great. By the same token, though, I've played some less expensive putters that were downright solid and well-made (my current putter, for example). However, it does seem that, in general, the higher priced putters are usually of very good to excellent quality.

It seems the word "cheap" is widely misunderstood.

Back