Votes: 14 12.3%
  • $150 -- $199

Votes: 3 2.6%
  • Under -- $299

Votes: 1 0.9%
  • Price does Not Matter

Votes: 46 40.4%

• Total voters
If a putter feels and works great for you, price is a secondary consideration - to me, at least. I’ve found some really great gamers in the bargain bin. While I haven’t paid more than $150 for a putter (yet), you never know. Frankly, I have more concern over the material quality and shape (dimensions and condition).

I prefer Inexpensive to cheap.
If something works I don't really care whether it cost $1 or $200.

Sent from my Note 8 using Tapatalk

I once gamed a $20 putter purchased from my local pharmacy when I was in high school. It was cheap, but I made a lot of putts with it.

~Rock

Ironically some of the best putters I have used have been under $100. The Cleveland Classic comes to mind as one that because of the price was overlooked.

Price wise: $150 or lower I great. 150-300 is moderate. 300-450 premium and above that is custom/elite (not performance haha)/suuuuppppper nice haha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

From a cost perspective I would say under $99. But that does not mean that the putter is of a cheap quality. The Cleveland Huntington Beach #1 that I have is a very well built putter.

So just to clarify, are we talking about cost here? Or make/build quality?

When is a Putter Considered Cheap?

A lot of people are commenting on materials.
What metal does one consider cheap or not premium when they are combing through the putter section of a store?

Not sure any metal would be cheap to me. I would say how they make it. Obviously a completely milled putter is going to be expected to be higher quality and tighter tolerances and a stamped or cast putter would be less desirable by some.

I like all types of metals. Most wont notice a difference unless it’s carbon vs stainless. It’s the milling of the face, top line thickness/cavity that plays in feel and sound; then of course inserts and some like Cleveland who use a polymer in between the face and insert that can make it different as well.

I've tried some more expensive putters ($100 - $200) and use to have one in my bag that was a mallet putter and I couldn't line a line or make a putt with the dang thing so I bought a used RAM blade putter for $5.00 and I began hitting a good line and sinking some unbelievable putts with it. So as others have said, price doesn't matter and it doesn't mean you will drain more putts with it just because you paid more for it.

Not sure any metal would be cheap to me. I would say how they make it. Obviously a completely milled putter is going to be expected to be higher quality and tighter tolerances and a stamped or cast putter would be less desirable by some.

I like all types of metals. Most wont notice a difference unless it’s carbon vs stainless. It’s the milling of the face, top line thickness/cavity that plays in feel and sound; then of course inserts and some like Cleveland who use a polymer in between the face and insert that can make it different as well.

I would argue based on posts, that most get stainless and carbon steel reversed in terms of softness.

I would argue based on posts, that most get stainless and carbon steel reversed in terms of softness.

That is true. People tend to think the carbon will be softer although it is not. Again, I think people would be able to tell the difference if both were killed the same but probably not know which is which. The face milling and other parts of the process as I pointed out has way more impact on feel

it is not the cost the club but if it is a fit for you

For me a putter is cheap when it involves the materials made. There are plenty of putters that won't break the bank and are of high quality

I agree. Good quality putters can be had for a pretty low price. One club where you don't have to break the bank to get a good one.

Cheap means low quality to me. Something can be low priced but still have value.

When I think of cheap, I think of materials and quality of the putter. Price doesn't come to mind.

With the idea of "cheap" being a negative and basing it on what my initial reaction would be, I went with "under $99".

I always considered putters under $100 cheap but the Cleveland Huntington Beach line threw that out the window.

As much of a fan as I am of Odyssey I feel like the O Works line looks cheap. In my opinion the sole looks like they just threw a sticker on the bottom of it. It's a very good putter but looks cheap to me.

Cheap in my eyes are not based on prices but materials and build quality.

Sent from my H3123 using Tapatalk

Cheap in my eyes are not based on prices but materials and build quality.

Sent from my H3123 using Tapatalk

This is a fantastic point that I agree with

I'm coming from these areas of thinking:

Something cheap has a perceived value greater than its cost.

Quality is fitness for use. "Good quality is not necessarily high quality."

A putter can be made from anything, but what makes it cheap for me is a lack of durability. The grip starts to crumble or the paint starts to flake off after a few rounds.

I’m more concerned with so many being over priced for what you get so I voted price doesn’t matter.

Visible weld beads look cheap to me.

Generally I would think of cheap in terms of price. Low price generally means poor materials. However, I was shocked yesterday by a couple of "inexpensive" putters that were not cheap at all. Namely top-flight and Tommy Armour putters I saw in GG. They were very well put together and putted very well. I went with a Seemore rosemark fgp mallet in the end though. Cheap is a relative term.

Sent from my LG-M430 using Tapatalk

Based on current 2018 MSRP prices, anything under $129 would be considered cheap putter range as far as cost.

When you start talking about materials used, innovation, and craftsmanship, anything under $250 nowadays would be considered cheap IMO. Since feel, looks, and distance control are enhanced greatly when you go above the $250 mark.

The funny thing is, I’ve rolled $450 putters that don’t feel or perform any better than a $375 putter. This is where the cost of R&D and materials comes into play I would think.

Bottom line is, cheap putters are going to be different for everyone. It’s what looks, feels, or rolls the rock the best for you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

In terms of retail price, anything under $100 I would have to consider cheap.

In terms of quality, it's a lot harder to quantify. I look at what the latest Tommy Armour releases, those are priced significantly lower than similar products, yet don't appear to be of inferior quality at all. Another example would be TaylorMade's TP putter line, $200-$220 for your choice of Satin/Red/Black Copper, again significantly lower priced than their competition, with no appreciable difference in quality.

Back