• Price does Not Matter

Votes: 46 40.4%

• Total voters

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
This is a poll, so if you are viewing on Tapatalk, please click webview and enter if you would like.

In this instance, cheap can be viewed as a bit of a negative.

I voted considering cheap to mean inexpensive, not inferior quality.

For me a putter is cheap when it involves the materials made. There are plenty of putters that won't break the bank and are of high quality

This is a poll, so if you are viewing on Tapatalk, please click webview and enter if you would like.

In this instance, cheap can be viewed as a bit of a negative.

I put "price doesn't matter" because I'm looking at how well the putter is made and how well the putter rolls for me. I've putted (at the store) with a Scotty and a used Odyssey, and honestly preferred the Odyssey and even the store manager commented on how he was surprised I rolled the "cheap" one better.

That might be consumer bias, because I'm also rather frugal - I see some pricetags and react like the price tag is superheated to 3000...celsius.

Eh, I went with "Price does not matter". Cheap for me is build quality, grips disintegrating, finishes that instantly degrade. Inexpensive, to me, need not mean cheap. Think Cleveland Classic, Wilson Infinite.

If a putter is brand new and costs less than $100, it's cheap. I wish there were more options in that bracket.

These days anything under $150 is considered an "inexpensive" aka cheap (to me).

Under $99 in terms of cost. I've seen more expensive putters $100+, that seemed "cheap" in terms of the actual product and materials used though.

Personally price doesn't matter, if I can putt good with it, I don't care if its $50 or $300

"Price Doesn't Matter" If you can putt with a 2x4 as long as it goes in the hole.

For me it's classified as "cheap" under $99.

I'd say "expensive" starts at $300 fwiw.

Do we mean "cheap" as in your inexpensive or low quality?

These days anything under $150 is considered an "inexpensive" aka cheap (to me).

I generally agree here based on brand new introductory price alone, but there's always exceptions. If we are talking cheap as in appearance and quality, the price can vary greatly as I've seen $80 milled putters look higher quality than brand new $400 stuff out there. But that is just to my eye.

I wish I could change my vote in the poll. "Cheap" can be at any price. Materials, construction, and craftsmanship all play a part in that. The concept of value is fluid.

I'm in the "price doesn't matter" camp. In the putter category, a "cheap" feel will come from fit and finish. For instance - are the paint lines clean? Are all the edges/corners lined up? I've seen really well made $99 putters and some cheap looking $250 putters.

Under $100 and I wonder about quality. Maybe into the $125 range.

I'm in the "price doesn't matter" camp. In the putter category, a "cheap" feel will come from fit and finish. For instance - are the paint lines clean? Are all the edges/corners lined up? I've seen really well made $99 putters and some cheap looking $250 putters.

This right here. The Huntington Beach line says hello.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Combination of Under 99 and 99-149..so basically sub $149

Kind of agree with the majority, cheap is a relative term and has much more to do with quality and not price

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A lot of people are commenting on materials.
What metal does one consider cheap or not premium when they are combing through the putter section of a store?

I’ve bought dozens of used putters over the years and most were under $100. Recently I picked up a pair of Odyssey O’Works putters from the CPO site on a bogo deal for $88 each. One had the plastic on the head and the other one looked like it had been used for a round or two. They have become my gamers.

My first thought when opening this thread was that “cheap” was anything under $100. But with the added caveat of the negative connotation, my idea of cheap is anything sold at Walmart or Target; or the house brands at Dick’s (Top Flite).

I can’t say it has anything to do with materials for me, just branding and stigma.

For the record, the best putter I ever rolled, was a Ping G2 Anser D; and that puppy was $99.

I voted that price does not matter. If the material and quality is inferior it will make a huge difference.

A lot of people are commenting on materials.
What metal does one consider cheap or not premium when they are combing through the putter section of a store?
I have zero idea about this. I assume if the price is low enough that the price means I'm getting cheap materials.

Back