Why hasn’t the yellow golf ball caught on?

I'm still not convinced of this argument, at least through my eyes.
I've used plenty of different colors, and nothing is as easy for me to pick up in the sky and on the ground as white is.

The materials being what they are aside, I think it's a visually leap that would take a lot of convincing for a lot of pros who have looked at white their whole lives.

....and as I sit here, I am wondering if I see yellow and think range balls
It will be interesting to see if you still see white better than yellow in the sky ten years from now. For me, it is not even close or I would choose a white ball. They are easier to see on the ground.

I think it's viewed as a silly amateur type or old guy, or kids girly ball. In other words beneath many a stuffy golfer - real or imagined (both ways).

I have and use a number of colored and mulitcolor balls - I don't care what others think - I use what I like and/or works best for me. As we all should.

I do wonder if Titleist offered them a bit more to play a yellow ball would we see more of them? But, would it matter? I mean it's not going to make them any more money either way. If people buy more yellow then the vendors sell less white.

You're right, but I would argue their presentation has improved dramatically over that time.
They also didn’t have urethane covers on yellow prior to the Srixon release a decade ago or so

I see white ones better at 250 yards than yellow ones..
But yellow would be ok if one wore yellow shorts or shirt to complement the ball.

They also didn’t have urethane covers on yellow prior to the Srixon release a decade ago or so
I remember how freaking big and cool it was that they brought color to urethane.

I remember how freaking big and cool it was that they brought color to urethane.
So do I. Then this old fart could break tradition and play a yellow ball that isn't just a urine stained from being kept warm in my Depends.

I can’t wait to start playing yellow balls and apparently show my age haha

So do I. Then this old fart could break tradition and play a yellow ball that isn't just a urine stained from being kept warm in my Depends.
Kim Kardashian Celebs GIF

It will be interesting to see if you still see white better than yellow in the sky ten years from now. For me, it is not even close or I would choose a white ball. They are easier to see on the ground.
yeah, I'm definitely curious about this as I 'level up' hahaha

yeah, I'm definitely curious about this as I 'level up' hahaha
“Level up” is a very gracious way of stating it. I would describe it as physical implosion, LOL.

maybe that's the big issue. Bad first impressions..
Could be. Also when you consider how long it took graphite, compound grips, head size, forgiveness, etc. 10 years isn’t so bad with how much it has grown

Honest question, are those ball tests that show the yellow performs worse then white true? I’m personally more a fan of a white golf ball though I do like that Cally and TM variations on a white golf ball

Could be. Also when you consider how long it took graphite, compound grips, head size, forgiveness, etc. 10 years isn’t so bad with how much it has grown
and graphite STILL has a ways to go in the eyes of many. Crazy to think.

Colored golf balls first came out in the early 80s and they were around for a few years. That led to the bright white golf balls we see today. I like the colors. The divide and Truvis are fun to watch spin. White is too boring now!! LOL

Here's a question: outside of Vice (ew), is there any company making a urethane golf ball in a color other than white or yellow? There's QStar Divides, which are still half yellow, and things like TruTrack and TM's Stripe, but those aren't directly in the cover I don't think.

Honest question, are those ball tests that show the yellow performs worse then white true? I’m personally more a fan of a white golf ball though I do like that Cally and TM variations on a white golf ball
There was some discussion of it upthread. Jason Finley of Callaway has said that Callaway has done the testing and there is no difference in performance between the white and yellow Callaway balls. That doesn't speak to any other brand, though.

Could it possibly be that people just like white? I mean, I know that’s “way out there” kinda thinking.

At the courses I play it seems yellow balls are used by about 25% of players. On the PGA Tour lots of equipment stuff is players copying one another, so if a big name like Scheffller or Shauffle or Spieth or Finau went to a yellow ball other players would soon follow.

Could it possibly be that people just like white? I mean, I know that’s “way out there” kinda thinking.
Sure it could, and that is part of the conversation for sure.

I think this is something a lot of people think. I always thought range balls being yellow had an impact on that for some.
Watching today at my parents house, my nephew who is a beginner golfer but not really someone who takes it serious…he watches as Malnati makes his ace and says “with a range ball”

It's not like yellow golf balls just appeared in the last few years. They've been around a long time.
We used to use yellow and orange Top Flites back in the mid to late 80's.

I think it has caught on for non-tour players. Most OEM's choose yellow as their color offering. Maybe tour players don't use yellow because they are younger and do not need the benefits of a high vis ball?

Back