Minarets

Reaction score
Handicap
Tour players on the practice facility, when golf balls are lying right in front of them, always wait for their caddy to toss them a ball. Is it too much effort to get it yourself? Is a status thing? "I've got people now to get my golf balls."

Its not just when they are hitting from a tee either. I wonder why?

They want the balls dried off first. This is so they can get a good reading on spin and trajectory without the grooves of the club filling with water and/or debris.

This is why I stink. I need my balls dried on the range!

Learn something new every day

They want the balls dried off first. This is so they can get a good reading on spin and trajectory without the grooves of the club filling with water and/or debris.

That's interesting. Seems a bit overkill to me, but what do I know? I also don't get paid a ton to golf. Lol.

You need a Craigslist ad for that sort of thing :D

5b39k6.gif

Why is it...?

Are they wet when they are sitting on a 101* range? I get that for the dewsweepers with early tee times, but does seem a tad overkill. Are you referring to the balls being rinsed beforehand?

Are they wet when they are sitting on a 101* range? I get that for the dewsweepers with early tee times, but does seem a tad overkill. Are you referring to the balls being rinsed beforehand?

Not just water, but grass clippings and sand. I hate hitting a sandy range ball too but not because it will change the fliht properties of the shot but because it could scratch the face of my club. I don't think the pros are worried about scratching club faces.

Not just water, but grass clippings and sand. I hate hitting a sandy range ball too but not because it will change the fliht properties of the shot but because it could scratch the face of my club. I don't think the pros are worried about scratching club faces.

OG is right. THey want to make sure the ball is dry, clean and ready to give off the same ball flight as they will see during normal play.

Yet they don't clean their clubs before each shot. Weird.

I remember a pro being asked during a range session interview and he said it was also for a tempo/practice with a purpose reason. Makes sense to me. When I have multiple balls laying on the ground, sometimes I catch myself whacking away at them before analyzing each result. For that reason, I only take one ball out of bucket at a time. That, plus I am a bit OCD. lol

Also, the guys on tour have contracts to use certain balls. If a guy hits Prov1s, he wil probably pass on the Penta in front of him.

Also, the guys on tour have contracts to use certain balls. If a guy hits Prov1s, he wil probably pass on the Penta in front of him.

What he said. I had always wondered if they use the same ball on the range as in competition. I had to ask that question. Man I would hate to be the guy sorting all those balls.

--
Tapatalk2

Not sure why he would have a Penta in front of him. Each pro gets bags full of the certain ball he plays during competition...

What he said. I had always wondered if they use the same ball on the range as in competition. I had to ask that question. Man I would hate to be the guy sorting all those balls.

--
Tapatalk2

I saw a segment on Golf Channel once, they do in fact have all the same balls the players use during rounds available for range use. Bags/buckets or Penta, Pro V1, Z-Star, Pro V1x, etc...

Yet they don't clean their clubs before each shot. Weird.

Nor can they clean a ball once it's in play, anyway (other than when on the green, of course).

Nor can they clean a ball once it's in play, anyway (other than when on the green, of course).

The only time they have someone toss them a ball (after wiping dry and clean) is when they hit driver. They don't do it with irons so it's similar to on course conditions.

The only time they have someone toss them a ball (after wiping dry and clean) is when they hit driver. They don't do it with irons so it's similar to on course conditions.

I've never seen them clean irons between shots on the range like the caddy does during play so it's not really similar to course conditions.

I've never seen them clean irons between shots on the range like the caddy does during play so it's not really similar to course conditions.

I was referring to why they would clean the ball prior to hitting their driver... Which IS similar to playing conditions...

The irons, I don't know.

--
Tapatalk2

From my understanding, and having been to a couple Tour events, it really depends on the tournament. Some tournaments have the player's normal gamer ball for them on the range, while others have just one ball for everyone (although I would assume a player could probably get his sponsor to give him some balls marked practice for the range.)

Back