Wilson Staff FG Tour V2 Review Thread

Iron Fitting and Comparison continued:

I hit the 6 iron from each set. The Swing Lab computers take into consideration the differences in loft between the sets and compensates for a fair comparison. Here are some of the numbers that were used for the comparison. I will upload some photos of the data this weekend.

Overall Performance ...................MP 53 ..............Burner 2.0............... FG Tour V2............... Anser
Clustering Diameter ....................13.9 Yards .......47.7 Yards ...............43.2 Yards ...............54.1 Yards
Total Distance .............................166 Yards ........175 Yards ................169 Yards ................169 Yards
Carry Distance .............................160 Yards ........169 Yards ................164 Yards ................169 Yards
Backspin (Optimal 5942 RPM) ....5498 RPM ........5942 RPM ...............6226 RPM ................5007 RPM
Mean Ball Speed .........................113.3 MPH .......110.0 MPH ..............117.8 MPH ..............112.3 MPH
Mean Clubhead Speed ................84.7 MPH .........84 MPH ...................90 MPH ....................83 MPH

Here is how each club ranked in each category:

...............................MP 53 ..............Burner 2.0............... FG Tour V2............... Anser
Shot Efficiency ...........3...................... 4.................................1 ...........................2

Total Distance ...........3...................... 4 .................................2 ..........................1
Carry Distance ...........3 ......................4 ................................2 ...........................1
Launch Angle .............4 ......................2 ................................3 ...........................1
Direction/Deviation ...1...................... 3................................ 2........................... 4
Back Spin ...................1...................... 3................................ 2 ...........................4
Decent Angle .............1...................... 2 ................................3........................... 4

Based on the results it ranked the irons in the following order:
1. Mizuno MP 53’s
2. Wilson Staff FG Tour V2’s
3. Ping Anser
4. Taylormade Burner 2.0

The Mizuno’s and Wilson’s were neck and neck as you would expect based on how similar they are. Again these results are not perfect as we used specs from the Callaway Diablo Forged because the V2’s are not in the system yet.

This was extremely cool to read. Maybe I'm not reading this right but you did use the V2's for those numbers right? Where to the DF come into play? Sorry if I skimmed.

I have to say that my body is still a little unhappy about me playing golf or hitting the range 4 days in row, but I'm very excited to go to the range today to work more with the V2's. The range I'm going to is where I spent quite a bit of time this summer, so I should be able to compare distance and ball flight a bit better with how I remember my previous irons.

Going to try for some HD video so you all can see my ball flight.

I have to say that my body is still a little unhappy about me playing golf or hitting the range 4 days in row, but I'm very excited to go to the range today to work more with the V2's. The range I'm going to is where I spent quite a bit of time this summer, so I should be able to compare distance and ball flight a bit better with how I remember my previous irons.

Going to try for some HD video so you all can see my ball flight.

Good stuff Hawk....Rest is for old people like OG

Took me a while, but I read through this entire thread. I have to say that these are some of the best reviews I've seen on THP. You guys are bringing it! Well done to all three of you! If I'm ever selected for some testing in the future again, I'm for sure going to be refering to your posts as examples. Truly great work!

After reading through all the posts, my question was about the grips, but Hawk beat me to it this morning!

Hawk, I see the same distances as you in my VRs. My 4 iron was good for 170 and everything else decreased in 10 yard increments. Then again, my swing is fairly inefficient. But don't worry bud, you'll see some better distances in time.

Again, a great job to everyone!!

Thanks, 9 iron. Not hitting the ball far is nothing new for me, but it's definitely a bit more in your face going from a set of distance irons to these. Like many have said, it should come with time.

Thanks, 9 iron. Not hitting the ball far is nothing new for me, but it's definitely a bit more in your face going from a set of distance irons to these. Like many have said, it should come with time.

Dude, I'm in the same boat. In time we'll be hitting them as far as the pros! Maybe not. Hehe

These are seriously good looking clubs. They make me ponder. But then I remember I have no business playing a GE club right now. Maybe in time.

Dude, I'm in the same boat. In time we'll be hitting them as far as the pros! Maybe not. Hehe

These are seriously good looking clubs. They make me ponder. But then I remember I have no business playing a GE club right now. Maybe in time.

What makes you say that? You might be surprised with the results you get.

You know, you're very right. I said that because my ball striking isn't quite up to snuff. I can hit all over the face and seeing as I'm not a long hitter, I really benefit from having some added forgiveness all over the face to keep the ball long. Once I reign in my swing a bit I'd feel more confindent looking at this type of club. In the mean time, it's still just a bit over my skill level.

You know, you're very right. I said that because my ball striking isn't quite up to snuff. I can hit all over the face and seeing as I'm not a long hitter, I really benefit from having some added forgiveness all over the face to keep the ball long. Once I reign in my swing a bit I'd feel more confindent looking at this type of club. In the mean time, it's still just a bit over my skill level.

I had similar thoughts about playing an iron like this. Those thoughts quickly went away once I started hitting them. Obviously there are growing pains, but it has been fun so far.

If you get the opportunity, and can demo them, I highly recommend it.

I had similar thoughts about playing an iron like this. Those thoughts quickly went away once I started hitting them. Obviously there are growing pains, but it has been fun so far.

I definitely will. Thanks!

I plan on demoing these as well. Never played a GE iron, but with the stuff you guys are saying im excited to hit these things. They are so pretty I cant not hit them anyways

I've always wondered why the soles of irons are wider in the short irons in so many sets. Most of us hackers need wide soles in the long irons and can handle narrow soles in the short irons.

I've always wondered why the soles of irons are wider in the short irons in so many sets. Most of us hackers need wide soles in the long irons and can handle narrow soles in the short irons.

I could be totally wrong it wouldnt be the first time but I think its that way to help prevent digging with the shorter irons, I know I take a much larger divot with a short iron over say a 5 iron

Great reviews guys! I loved Howzat's post on his fitting, Hawk's post on the issue of ball striking, and WE's on his range session! You guys rule!

This was extremely cool to read. Maybe I'm not reading this right but you did use the V2's for those numbers right? Where to the DF come into play? Sorry if I skimmed.

Yes I was swinging the V2's for the iron fitting. We used the specs for the DF's in the Swing Lab system as the specs on the 6 irons were similar. The Wilson's are just too new to be in the Swing Lab database. Therefore they only time this really comes into play is how the clubs are ranked by the computer as to which iron the system thinks is the best fit for you.

Exactly. There isn't a club secret. Go too far and you get nothing more than a club, a bat, a hammer, go not far enough you get a set of chop sticks an appliance tough to master. You need to find what blends from your eyes to your hands and in to your heart. Only then young Ben...

We have some longer hitters and shorter hitters in this test; do any of you feel in your limited testing so far that after the testing is over, these (or even some of these - the shorter irons, perhaps) might make it into your bag permanently?

Thanks for all the kind words about our testing so far. It is fun testing with two guys who provide such great reviews. There is definitely some friendly competition to try and raise the bar as far as the testing goes.

To be honest I have tried not to get too caught up in what the other guys are doing just to make sure I am not swayed in any direction by their thoughts on these irons. From the feedback they are given and what I have read they are doing a terrific job as far as I am concerned.

I got the irons out for 18 today in some tough conditions. 55* and 40 MPH plus winds with some light showers. Also a course I have never played. It was a scramble format and a good chance for me to get used to the clubs. Because of the format all of my shots with the irons were from the tee box or fairway. It was difficult to judge the distances due to the conditions but the early results were promising.

Initial impressions:

Looks: I got several complements on the looks of these clubs. I was playing with co-workers who only golf a few times a year and use older sets of clubs. Everyone who saw the irons thought they look amazing. I asked them if they thought these were a “high end club” and all said yes. None of those questioned could tell be the brand of clubs by glancing at them though. They do look great sitting in the bag. I still think the pictures do not reflect how good these look in person. For some reason they just stand out. I think my Mizuno’s look almost dull in comparison.

Short Game: I got a chance to use the PW on a long bump and run from the fringe. My playing partners all used there putters and couldn’t come within 10 feet. I used the PW like a putter in put it about 2 feet away.

Mid Irons: I used the 5-PW today as I have not had a chance to get these on the range yet and this is the set-up I have been playing. After my mini lesson yesterday during the iron fitting I was trying to change a few things with my swing. Between that and the conditions on the course I not sure the results from my round today are too helpful. I can say the results so far seem on par with the Mizuno’s when I struck them well but there will be a slight adjustment period as the turf interaction does feel a bit different.

More to come with a range session tomorrow if I can get back home from my trip at a decent hour and another round of golf on Friday.

We have some longer hitters and shorter hitters in this test; do any of you feel in your limited testing so far that after the testing is over, these (or even some of these - the shorter irons, perhaps) might make it into your bag permanently?

From what I have seen so far I think it is going to be a long knock out drag down fight between the V2's and my MP 53's. The irons are so similar and the numbers from the iron fitting seem to confirm that. It is going to be fun putting both to the test and seeing which one comes out on top.

Still to early for me to say Smallville. My current set and these are two completely different styles. So far, I have enjoyed playing the V2s, it's taken zone adjustment on my part, but it will be fun putting them through their paces to see if they can knock the 2.0s out of my bag.

At this early point, I would say that I see no reason why not. I have had good and poor results with them, much like all the previous irons I've played. If I swing well, they go where I want them to and I really like the way they look and feel in hand. Of course, it's virtually impossible to say what I'll carry in 4 months, let alone 6 or 7. That's just the nature of what I do here.

Right now, the distance issue is not that big of a deal to me. As long as I have an iron that I can consistently hit the distance I want and don't have gapping problems, I'll be fine. The 6 iron was the lowest iron I carried in the Redlines, which was my 160-ish club. Do, I want to hit the ball farther? Absolutely. I could hit one less club with different irons, but I don't think that is really the answer to my issue with distance. I just don't swing efficiently enough. I was still well short of many people I play with when I played the Redlines. It sucks, but it's really an issue with my skill level more than anything.

I think the biggest issue for me to overcome will be forgiveness. The V2's have some forgiveness, but they will punish you if you hit the ball poorly. That being said, I think we overstate exactly what forgiveness is in irons at times. If I mis-hit the Redlines, they still didn't go where I wanted them to. They just went closer to where I wanted them to than the V2's do on certain misses.

At this early point, I would say that I see no reason why not. I have had good and poor results with them, much like all the previous irons I've played. If I swing well, they go where I want them to and I really like the way they look and feel in hand. Of course, it's virtually impossible to say what I'll carry in 4 months, let alone 6 or 7. That's just the nature of what I do here.

Right now, the distance issue is not that big of a deal to me. As long as I have an iron that I can consistently hit the distance I want and don't have gapping problems, I'll be fine. The 6 iron was the lowest iron I carried in the Redlines, which was my 160-ish club. Do, I want to hit the ball farther? Absolutely. I could hit one less club with different irons, but I don't think that is really the answer to my issue with distance. I just don't swing efficiently enough. I was still well short of many people I play with when I played the Redlines. It sucks, but it's really an issue with my skill level more than anything.

I think the biggest issue for me to overcome will be forgiveness. The V2's have some forgiveness, but they will punish you if you hit the ball poorly. That being said, I think we overstate exactly what forgiveness is in irons at times. If I mis-hit the Redlines, they still didn't go where I wanted them to. They just went closer to where I wanted them to than the V2's do on certain misses.

Good stuff hawk and all the testers. Sounds like you guys are having a blast testing these and Wilson has really opened my eyes with this testing.

Testing Date: 9/21/2011

Conditions: Sunny - 70° - 15mph winds with higher gusts
Focus: Ball Flight, Feel, Forgiveness, Turf Interaction

So, now that I just said I'd see no reason why I wouldn't bag these permanantly, I'll tell you that I had a pretty rotten range session yesterday. I just never really got into it, which happens occasionally. It's not to say that I didn't hit some good balls, but overall, I just felt off and struggled with hitting the ball cleanly. Not the first time and certainly not the last :)

Ball Flight of the 4 iron, 6 iron, and 8 iron:

I attempted to take some video for this, but nothing came out very good. The ball was taking off against the backdrop of the sky and it disappeared too quickly for me to let people see what I'm seeing for ballflight. I'll do my best to describe it. Before we go much further I should say that I was hitting most everything a little flat and lower than I regularly would, including woods and hybrids.

I was hitting the ball lower than I would have liked with these yesterday and it has me thinking about my ball flight in general. I've hit what I would consider 'high' balls with all of them, but most of them are probably not what most others would consider high. I'm going off of my own experiences, of course. I don't mind a little more penetrating of a flight this time of year as I think it cuts down on distance loss from the wind, which is plentiful right now. I never felt like I hit the Redline 6 iron that high. After talking over my launch monitor numbers with TC, I was told that higher launch would probably help me gain some distance, which was very interesting to me.

Yesterday I hit a lot of line drives with the 4 iron. That's not so bad if I'm trying to hit the ball with some roll, but I don't know that I'd like that going for a green. I did hit some higher balls with it that carried further and landed softer, so it's not like it can't be done, but getting the ball up with the 4 iron will be something I need to work on. This is certainly the club that is most difficult for me to hit high.

I saw higher ball flight with the 6 iron than the 4 iron, though again, I think that a bit higher launch would help me stretch out my carry distance a little. However, I was carrying the ball right where I expected to on well struck shots. I'm just wondering if a little more height on my mid/long irons (regardless of brand) would get me some more yardage when it comes to my game. I think if others were looking at my ball flight with these two irons yesterday they'd say it was pretty low, but it's hard for me to say.

The 8 iron got up in the air quickly for me and I was carrying it consistently about 10 yards short of where I would have carried the Redline 8 iron as I expected. Ball flight was actually pretty similar and I liked it alot. I would characterize it as high, but not too high if that makes sense. I think I'll ask for some feedback from people I play with as to what their opinions are on the height of my shots.

More to come

Testing Date: 9/21/2011
Conditions: Sunny - 70° - 15mph winds with higher gusts
Focus: Ball Flight, Feel, Forgiveness, Turf Interaction

Continued...

Feel:

Yesterday was the perfect day to observe and report on feel since I wasn't hitting the ball that well. We all know what a well struck ball feels and sounds like for the most part and there are some good videos showing how the V2's sound when hit well (awesome).

I noted before that I hadn't really noticed any misses other than fats or thins, so I couldn't report on how a toe or heel shot felt. Well, after yesterday I can do that. In a perfect world I'd continue to be ignorant of this, but we all know that's not going to happen.

You know that full, pleasing feeling in your hands and ears when you hit a great shot? Well, a toe shot with the V2's is pretty much the exact opposite. It wasn't harsh at all, but it wasn't enjoyable. I already knew the strike wasn't good when looking at the ball flight, but the sound made sure to remind me that I didn't put a good swing on the ball. Instead of full, it was weak sounding and sort of felt like a thin shot. You could almost feel the club face twisting open in disgust.

Heel shots were a bit more resonating and pleasing in terms of sound, but a little harsher on the hands than a well struck shot. I could get a sense for these shots, but it wasn't quite as apparent as hitting the ball out on the toe. I didn't have this miss quite as much as I did out on the toe, so I'll have to share more feedback on it over time.

I still would say that the worst 'feeling' shot is hitting the ball thin with the V2's. Doing this produces the most harsh feeling on my hands as well as a higher pitched, sharp sound. Fat shots feel like they look. Weak. Hitting the ground first completely deadens the great sound and feel of a good shot. It's like hitting the ball with a sponge glued to the front of the club.

Moral of the story here is that well struck shots with the V2's feel and sound incredible. Poorly stuck shots range from not bad to downright awful, which is exactly what I think most would hope for with an iron of this type. The only true harshness I've experienced was from almost-bladed thin shots.

More to come...

Back