Wilson Staff Model Golf Balls and Baller Box

I'm confused... the article says it's a Wilson Staff model ball available as a dozen but the same ball is also available in the baller box? They're both Staff model balls? Identical? But 2 different prices? and names?:oops:

I kind of touched on that in the article and my hope is that Baller Box expands to not just be this product, because it does get a bit confusing.

Ballers Box be like:

When using the term "baller" it comes with certain connotation. This does nothing of the sort. There has to be some benefit to the consumer for a program like this to work and in its current state I just don't see it.

I kind of touched on that in the article and my hope is that Baller Box expands to not just be this product, because it does get a bit confusing.

Confusion isn’t exactly what you are looking for when you are trying to launch a new product or program.

This seems like one of those marketing dept schemes that was not bounced off anyone else at the company including Finance.

Any margins will be lost by the amount of time their Accounting Dept now has to incur due to waterfall revenue recognition guidelines. It’s a nightmare to account for subscription based revenue.

Most people don’t realize how many balls they lose. Nor do they realize how much they spend to replace those balls.

My wife is learning quickly. When I hooked a Tour B RX out of bounds last week, she looked at me and said “is that another $4 donation?”:confused:

First off it sounds like another great ball option. I’m not in marketing so maybe I’m missing something here. I don’t see how this is the best way to get your golf ball in hands of golfers. Perhaps they don’t want big sales numbers!! Or will they sell the ball in stores but not call it a Baller Box? Baller option is custom wording or numbers. So if you subscribe and have a bad day or week at the course and run out of your beloved ball. Now what? Ya gotta go buy another brand in the mean time? What if Mr customer now realizes they like that other brand better? So Wilson is already in stores. Why not just offer the Baller Box as an option? Sell your best ball in the stores so you can bring in new customers. I mean you can always buy custom balls on sale from just about every other company in that same price range without the commitment of 3-6-12 months. By the way I like the look of the ball.

So many things wrong with this release. Too bad none of it has to do with the actual product. Releasing a bad or subpar product is one thing. Releasing a good product with a bad system,marketing, or story is completely another. I find the latter to be worse as it makes the company feel incompetent.

Wilson continues to take a step forward in products. Wilson staff model blades, great wedges, The V6 forged, even their recent(ish) driving iron. But the then marketing gimmicks and company decisions sweep it all away. Driver vs. Driver I and II ( I actually enjoyed the show). The first winner being none conforming, the second being a decent driver but not priced according.

Now a ball subscription. Company decisions outside of the R&D are pretty questionable.

First off it sounds like another great ball option. I’m not in marketing so maybe I’m missing something here. I don’t see how this is the best way to get your golf ball in hands of golfers. Perhaps they don’t want big sales numbers!! Or will they sell the ball in stores but not call it a Baller Box? Baller option is custom wording or numbers. So if you subscribe and have a bad day or week at the course and run out of your beloved ball. Now what? Ya gotta go buy another brand in the mean time? What if Mr customer now realizes they like that other brand better? So Wilson is already in stores. Why not just offer the Baller Box as an option? Sell your best ball in the stores so you can bring in new customers. I mean you can always buy custom balls on sale from just about every other company in that same price range without the commitment of 3-6-12 months. By the way I like the look of the ball.

I touched on this above, but one of the issues is that their premium golf balls are not in a ton of stores. Combine that with stores being closed.

I touched on this above, but one of the issues is that their premium golf balls are not in a ton of stores. Combine that with stores being closed.
Being that I dont even know what their premium ball is I think their marketing team has some work to do. Golf ball market is not something Id want to try and get into without a large budget to work with. I mean I cant keep track of the ads I see every day from 4 other ball companies. Ads obviously sell as do buy 2 get one free promos.

Being that I dont even know what their premium ball is I think their marketing team has some work to do. Golf ball market is not something Id want to try and get into without a large budget to work with. I mean I cant keep track of the ads I see every day from 4 other ball companies. Ads obviously sell as do buy 2 get one free promos.

Their next premium balll is the Staff Model, which I actually think is well named and falls in line with the rest of their premium lineup.
Prior to that I would say Duo Urethane, which was always a little funny to me, because Duo means two (layers) yet it had more. I guess you could say Duo meant long and soft?

I think "premium" now kind of falls to most golfers on price. For a long while I guess you could say it was based on cover material. Yet there are a lot of urethane golf balls that are less expensive now, so not sure that still holds true.

Their next premium balll is the Staff Model, which I actually think is well named and falls in line with the rest of their premium lineup.
Prior to that I would say Duo Urethane, which was always a little funny to me, because Duo means two (layers) yet it had more. I guess you could say Duo meant long and soft?

I think "premium" now kind of falls to most golfers on price. For a long while I guess you could say it was based on cover material. Yet there are a lot of urethane golf balls that are less expensive now, so not sure that still holds true.

Interesting. Ive heard of the Duo as several on the forums seem to like that ball. Think Ive seen them in Dicks as well. Like I mentioned its got to be a tough market, specially at the premium end of things. I mean the market on the budget side is a different type of customer, all price based, perhaps a bit of feel or color options. I wouldn't want to have to buy a minimum number to try out a ball. Then again maybe Im not the golfer they are looking for. Id like to hear more on their thoughts on this approach.

Last edited:

so does this replace the FG Tour ? That was Wilson’s only Tour ball I knew of.

so does this replace the FG Tour ? That was Wilson’s only Tour ball I knew of.

I guess I would ask the question, what makes a tour ball? Having tour in the name? If so, no, but it does say Staff :p

Is this the ultimate move for inventory control? You never have to make more than you have orders for and you know how to forecast.

Like the tech and looks of the ball, especially the alignment line. But, lack of yellow and the high cost means I will probably never try them!

I guess I would ask the question, what makes a tour ball? Having tour in the name? If so, no, but it does say Staff :p

More price related for me. Say $40+. The FG Tour always filled that space for Wilson.

More price related for me. Say $40+. The FG Tour always filled that space for Wilson.

I would say head back to this above post as I touch on that.

Intriguing ball. Confusing subscription. Look forward to seeing reviews of the ball in action!

I have played the tour balls from Wilson in the past, really liked the duo professional (the matte orange is killer), but as JB and many others have said this is overall very confusing. Going to a hybrid D2C model is not the worst thing, but the the details, plans, website, and maybe worst of all timing is just not great. Curious to see if we get more details but most things don't get a 2nd chance to make a 1st impression and the baller box may be dead before it arrives.

Good article describing this ball and their strange marketing strategy. I guess the only way I try this ball is if I find it? There is zero chance that I sign up for any ball subscription service unless it brought my cost down to roughly BOGO territory.

A company would need to do a ball fitting to put me in the best ball for my swing and then I would consider playing that ball for an extended time of there was a big benefit to my pocketbook.

In my mind, that is basically what one of their competitors is doing for me. I send in a video to find the right ball and then purchase 4 dozen for the price of 3 without any subscription (limited promotion).

IMHO, this Wilson model has to be aimed at their current customers to maybe try and keep them from trying other balls?

The more I keep seeing this post getting replies, the more I'm reminded that this is a terrible name for a product. Should that stupid BBB shoe company have done this? Absolutely. Fits with their brand to a T.

The ball is kind of interesting. But the baller box subscription service is a no go for me. I just don’t see what I am getting out of it. ESP when we see other DTC golf ball brands roll out plenty of good deals that yes will cost me more upfront, but save in the long run. For example, right now with OnCore I can get 6 dozen Elixr balls for 120, 145 for 5 dozen Snell, and he’ll Cut’s prices are already low.

The more I keep seeing this post getting replies, the more I'm reminded that this is a terrible name for a product. Should that stupid BBB shoe company have done this? Absolutely. Fits with their brand to a T.

Wow, so many thoughts!!!
1) I used to love W/S balls. Only stopped playing them because they were discontinued I think.
2) The ball itself sounds great. Thin cover, firm core? Yes please!
3) The ball subscription service actually sounds freaking brilliant as a concept and something I would consider. However, the details here seem to need a lot more flushing out for it to work - why commit to a ball for a 12 month period for barely any savings?. If an OEM came up with a ball subscription service that offered fun customization along with undeniable value, I could see TONS of golfers getting on board.

Back