Woodworking / Furniture Building

@Grins Forgot to mention, if you ever did join HTS, I also kept an apprentice log while I was in the apprentice program. My whole journey is documented in detail there, but that thread prints to a 90+ page PDF, so it’s not practical to post here. 😁

It’s not as bad as you might think using only hand tools. In fact, it’s incredibly peaceful. No loud machines. No dust. If my hands/wrists could take it, I’d still be hand tool only.

You can definitely add a vise later. I built my bench without one, but I prepped for one by using 4x6’s for the legs.

Do you have a particular bench style you’re planning to build? Roubo? Moravian? Nicholson?
What kind of bench do you have? Any changes you'd make in terms of build? (Other than the Hovarter vise)?

What kind of bench do you have? Any changes you'd make in terms of build? (Other than the Hovarter vise)?

I built the split-top Nicholson style bench from the Hand Tool School Orientation Semester. The design is meant to be forgiving for new woodworkers to make, and built from construction lumber to keep cost down. I used 4x6s instead of 4x4s for the leg assemblies, and made mine 8 feet long instead of 6, but otherwise followed Shannon’s plan. I’m pretty happy with it. It’s a classic viseless bench design. I wouldn’t change much about it. I probably won’t even add a leg vise at this point.

This is a great video showing how a viseless bench can be used.

What is everyone's biggest woodworking frustration? I have a few but my top ones would be working with lumber that isn't straight as I don't have the tools to minimize the flaws and that feeds into my other two frustrations of feeling as though I can never cut perfect 45 miter cuts and I feel like I do a poor job at seeing if corners are perfect 90's. I think the majority of the time it is my own fault but I watch woodworking videos and see people "frustrated" with their corners and when I look at them I think "I would love for that to be my "bad" 90. Anyways, here is a recent project that I had some pretty good 45 degree cuts.

1609258657730.png

What is everyone's biggest woodworking frustration? I have a few but my top ones would be working with lumber that isn't straight as I don't have the tools to minimize the flaws and that feeds into my other two frustrations of feeling as though I can never cut perfect 45 miter cuts and I feel like I do a poor job at seeing if corners are perfect 90's. I think the majority of the time it is my own fault but I watch woodworking videos and see people "frustrated" with their corners and when I look at them I think "I would love for that to be my "bad" 90. Anyways, here is a recent project that I had some pretty good 45 degree cuts.

My biggest frustration is that I don’t have the space or budget to have all the tools and lumber I want.

Are you using a square against a reference face and edge (a face and an edge you know to be flat) to confirm you have an end cut square? If not, that’s how to do it. You shouldn’t see any light between the board and the square. Here’s an example:

E9E1EF8E-7725-4D80-8E74-5493F2F1B861.jpeg

75EF78BB-A794-411A-A9B0-F4D7128FDE4A.jpeg

If your cut is not square or 45, then a shooting board and a hand plane are what you’re looking for to refine the cut.

For wider miters you could use a shooting board like this one.

If you search youtube you can also find lots of examples of cheap DIY shooting boards if you don't want to spend that much

My biggest frustration is that I don’t have the space or budget to have all the tools and lumber I want.

Are you using a square against a reference face and edge (a face and an edge you know to be flat) to confirm you have an end cut square? If not, that’s how to do it. You shouldn’t see any light between the board and the square. Here’s an example:

View attachment 8984698

View attachment 8984700

If your cut is not square or 45, then a shooting board and a hand plane are what you’re looking for to refine the cut.

For wider miters you could use a shooting board like this one.

I'm usually just throwing a speed square inside my corner.

My biggest frustration is not having a dedicated shop space. What I have is a small part of the basement & it's hard to get stuff down there & back up. I'd never be able to make a large project unless I final assemble it upstairs.

And I wish I was better at finishing & staining wood. I'm not bad - just unsure of myself. I need a lot more practice - at everything.

View attachment 8984684

I'm usually just throwing a speed square inside my corner.
Are you cutting the miter with a power saw? If you're using a miter box (either a jig on the table saw or a handsaw jig), you can use scrap wood to sneak up on the perfect 45 degree angle, then cut the good pieces.

Are you cutting the miter with a power saw? If you're using a miter box (either a jig on the table saw or a handsaw jig), you can use scrap wood to sneak up on the perfect 45 degree angle, then cut the good pieces.
Yeah I'm cutting with a miter saw. It is a cheap saw but I'm looking at picking up something new eventually, as I stated in a post awhile ago. Unfortunately I think my miter saw has too much play in it, due to the Harbor Freight quality.

This thread inspires me. I have built some shelves recently to help with the homeschool materials but nothing fun. I really need to get a standalone garage to have the space. I have plans to create a live edge wood table with a chess board set into it. One of these days..

Get yourself a 12” combination square. Speed squares are great for construction, but combination squares are more useful for fine woodworking. You can use them to check for both square and 45.

View attachment 8984714
Every speed square I’ve ever owned could verify 45° (Assuming one took the time to find one that was accurate), but I agree that a combination square is more useful for woodworking. Plus the combo square is useful for setting cutter heights for us power tool wood butchers. 👍

Pro tip: the plastic drafting triangles that can be bought at any craft supply store are inexpensive and quite accurate.

image.jpg
Scored some walnut

Every speed square I’ve ever owned could verify 45° (Assuming one took the time to find one that was accurate), but I agree that a combination square is more useful for woodworking. Plus the combo square is useful for setting cutter heights for us power tool wood butchers. 👍

Pro tip: the plastic drafting triangles that can be bought at any craft supply store are inexpensive and quite accurate.

You’re right of course, but I was more referring to measuring miters on the end of a board where you use the rule against a reference face. You can’t do that so easily with a speed square, at least not without a known flat surface as well.

If I'm buying a hand plane, what type of blade steel do you recommend: A2, O1 or PM-V11 plane blades?

If I'm buying a hand plane, what type of blade steel do you recommend: A2, O1 or PM-V11 plane blades?

Any of them. I have blades made from all three. There’s really minimal difference. A2 is slightly harder to sharpen than O1 or PM-V11, but not so much that you should avoid It.

That said, I like PM-V11 the most out of the three. It keeps its promise to sharpen easily and hold an edge well.

I'm wondering if anyone knows what program is being used to make plans like this? I'm always pretty amazed by how the plans I see using this program turn out.
1610049120446.png

Also, Finally picked up this beast last night...And yes, I have already changed out the blade to a Diablo.. Plan on picking up the Rigid stand this afternoon when I go get some wood for a project.

1610049258515.png

I'm wondering if anyone knows what program is being used to make plans like this? I'm always pretty amazed by how the plans I see using this program turn out.
View attachment 8986946

Also, Finally picked up this beast last night...And yes, I have already changed out the blade to a Diablo.. Plan on picking up the Rigid stand this afternoon when I go get some wood for a project.

View attachment 8986948

That’s Sketchup. Check this site out for free tutorial videos.

Congrats on the miter saw! I have a Diablo blade on mine too. I recently bought some really nice Wen stands for my drill press, planer, and band saw.

View attachment 8986946

View attachment 8986948
Sketchup was popular with a lot of WWers doing CAD. It used to be free before google spun it off, not sure about it now.

Back