Would Rory leave for LIV

Ok, let's say that Rory goes to LIV. Where does he fit? They have 13 teams right now which is 52 golfers and 2 wild cards that means there are 3 golfers on all 18 holes to start a shotgun. Would they create a 14th team just for him? I doubt it. He would have to slot into one of the teams. The logical place would be for him to take ownership of the Majesticks and get rid of the stupid 3 captain team. I don't think Poulter and Westwood would be too kind to Rory. The weakest captain on this list is Kevin Na.
I just read an interview with Ian Poulter today, there's no love lost between him and Rory. Poulter said he's done with the Ryder Cup and wouldn't ever have anything to do with it again even if they begged him, after the things Rory said about him last year. Rory wouldn't be welcomed with open arms on that team for sure, and Poults definitely wouldn't be on the LIV welcoming committee if Rory decided to turn heel and make the move.

They took Rahm, who was the best player on the PGAT last year (4wins, 1 major) so they can take anyone. It really all depends on the merger we might know something pretty soon.

They took Rahm, who was the best player on the PGAT last year (4wins, 1 major) so they can take anyone. It really all depends on the merger we might know something pretty soon.
I'm not holding my breath for any kind of merger to happen anytime soon. Those bridges are currently fully engulfed in flames.

I'm not holding my breath for any kind of merger to happen anytime soon. Those bridges are currently fully engulfed in flames.
I think talks about a merger had more to do with ending the pending legal matters and less to do with any actual merger.

I think talks about a merger had more to do with ending the pending legal matters and less to do with any actual merger.
No. It’s the economic reality. PGAT will either merge or become a feeder (just as the PGAT exec told congress this past year). Right now, there’s a path to make the Newco PGAT the top level organization with the best players from DPT, LIV, and PGAT. That would be massively profitable.

Rory alluded to it, right? He talked about being a world tour with all the tours feeding into it. That’s the potential of the new for profit entity…

If PGAT doesn’t play ball then there are only a couple other paths and neither of them end with PGAT remaining the top tour.

Ok, let's say that Rory goes to LIV. Where does he fit? They have 13 teams right now which is 52 golfers and 2 wild cards that means there are 3 golfers on all 18 holes to start a shotgun. Would they create a 14th team just for him? I doubt it. He would have to slot into one of the teams. The logical place would be for him to take ownership of the Majesticks and get rid of the stupid 3 captain team. I don't think Poulter and Westwood would be too kind to Rory. The weakest captain on this list is Kevin Na.

Teams that Rory has no chance of being on. 4 Aces, Crushers, Fireballs, Legion XIII, Ripper, Smash, Stinger, Torque

That leaves Cleeks, Hyflyers, Iron Heads, Majesticks, and Rangegoats. I think Phil thinks he can still play and the amount of money PIF gave Phil he is going to stay captain. Kaymer is an interesting one as Cleeks could replace Dicky B for Rory. That would get them in contention more. I can't see Bubba giving up his team for Rory.

I think it comes down to Kaymer and Na figuring out who gives up the captain spot. It feels like he should be on Cleeks or Majesticks and the easier route would be Cleeks.

View attachment 9246411
Few things 1. They absolutely give him a team if he wants one. 2. He and brooks are bro so he could take a spot there easy. 3. They give him a team if he wants one. I think there are 2 teams that are owned by the league so he could have one of those easy if he wants it. Send Na or Westwood or graham or any of those other guys that are complete trash to relegation..

Few things 1. They absolutely give him a team if he wants one. 2. He and brooks are bro so he could take a spot there easy. 3. They give him a team if he wants one. I think there are 2 teams that are owned by the league so he could have one of those easy if he wants it. Send Na or Westwood or graham or any of those other guys that are complete trash to relegation..
The reason I say they don't create a 14th team is that 14*4 = 56 golfers. That is without wildcards so now at least 2 holes will have 4 golfers in a shotgun start and if they keep the wildcards then 4 holes will have 4 golfers. The numbers don't add up.

If he does come over he will be a captain, no doubt about it but that means changing an existing team around. There is no way that Rory goes to Koepka's Smash as that team is pretty well stocked, all 4 players in the top 20 of current standings. The only way is to kick McDowell off the team to kick someone else off another team. I do think the guys with big sign on bonuses are safe through this year but the 3 captain team needs to be broken up and Iron Heads needs a real captain.

No. It’s the economic reality. PGAT will either merge or become a feeder (just as the PGAT exec told congress this past year). Right now, there’s a path to make the Newco PGAT the top level organization with the best players from DPT, LIV, and PGAT. That would be massively profitable.

Rory alluded to it, right? He talked about being a world tour with all the tours feeding into it. That’s the potential of the new for profit entity…

If PGAT doesn’t play ball then there are only a couple other paths and neither of them end with PGAT remaining the top tour.
The wrench in the whole works is Jay Monahan and his arrogance. He still thinks he holds all the cards.

How he still makes millions of dollars per year for precipitating and presiding over this disaster is a complete mystery to me.

I’m all for him flipping over to LIV. Cause chaos for the pga leadership. At this point with the way things went down, he owes them nothing. Do what’s best for you and don’t worry about the pga. They’ve shown they aren’t really worried about the players

Besides if Rory were to leave, he’d be ineligible for any of the majors very quickly - unless he finally wins another this year.
Yeah never mind. I had a brain cramp. He’s in whatever PGA and Open Championship he wants.

No.

That is a pretty recent number. Rahm got 600 right? Rory is still a bigger fish.. probably only second to Tiger.
Rahm got $300

So you're saying you would be a Rory fan?

Heard it here first folks.
I’ve never not been a fan, I just don’t think he can win majors anymore.

Man...that would be something wouldn't it?

That is something not on my 2024 Golf BINGO card.

I mostly agree. I dont think he takes the leap. But it would break the golf world if he did.
It would be the ultimate F U to the Tour thats for sure.

Rory would get completely roasted by everyone if he did, especially after the "I'd rather retire than play LIV" thing. Can't see it happening.

The wrench in the whole works is Jay Monahan and his arrogance. He still thinks he holds all the cards.

How he still makes millions of dollars per year for precipitating and presiding over this disaster is a complete mystery to me.

I’m all for him flipping over to LIV. Cause chaos for the pga leadership. At this point with the way things went down, he owes them nothing. Do what’s best for you and don’t worry about the pga. They’ve shown they aren’t really worried about the players

It would be the ultimate F U to the Tour thats for sure.

and they deserve both letters..

I totally agree with all of this, and would go if I were him.

Rory would get completely roasted by everyone if he did, especially after the "I'd rather retire than play LIV" thing. Can't see it happening.

Rahm was proof that money talks. If Rory were to win the Masters this year, I would say it's a sure thing he goes to LIV.

I totally agree with all of this, and would go if I were him.

Rahm was proof that money talks. If Rory were to win the Masters this year, I would say it's a sure thing he goes to LIV.

Gosh, I agree with all of that ...

I don't watch golf as much as compared to my Pre-LIV watching habits.

Monahan should be fired. Should have happened when LIV began and they should have merged.

I've forgotten about the guys on LIV. I tune in to PGA Tour because all the golf at these levels is excellent. I only want to watch great golf. I'm not into the LIV style of play and presentation ... yet.

Back