Would You Pay More For Similar Results?

Thrillbilly Jim

No Diddy! No Doubt!
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
A Lotter
When you say it out loud, it sounds crazy right?! I tried both the new TaylorMade Qi10 fairway wood and the new Cobra Darkspeed fairway wood at my fitting. The results were super close. TM had a little more ball speed and less spin, which led to a few more yards.

The kicker is in shaft selection. The UST Mamiya LINQ Blue performs really well for me. It is a stock shaft in the Cobra fw for $330. It is an upgrade shaft for TM, so the Qi10 would retail for $500.

Now, admittedly my OCD would like to see the TM club in my bag for cohesive purposes, but my wallet says why pay $170 more for basically the same thing?

What say you? Would you go the cheaper route for the same results or would you let neurotic tendencies make you fork out the cash?

Last edited:
I’d pick the one with a little more spin in a fairway anyway as it will make it more playable long term.

I get the feeling of wanting to match, but that threshold is too high for me to scratch that itch.

I mean if we’re only talking a handful of yards I would pick the cheaper one

I'd definitely save the money and get the Cobra with the shaft you want/need.

I'd save the bucks.

I would ask why you want to change shafts or pick a different head based on the shaft if the results were "super close".

I would ask why you want to change shafts or pick a different head based on the shaft if the results were "super close".
I hit the LINQ Blue in both clubs.

I hit the LINQ Blue in both clubs.
Ohh... Sorry read it differently. Then my answer is that I'm known for ponying up for the combo I like best regardless. Lol

So go with whatever that is for you. Can't have any regrets but financial when you take the best option. 2nd best option tend to leave lingering questions. I'm not a fan of that if I can avoid it.

Ohh.. then my answer is that I'm known for ponying up for the combo I like best regardless. Lol

So go with whatever that is for you.
Snl GIF by Saturday Night Live

I’d spend the extra dough. A, it’s only $170, B, it becomes $670 when you buy the cobra, hate it, then buy the club you really want anyway.

Honestly do whatever makes you happy! Cheaper than buying something you end up swapping later on

I’d get the most performance combo, does a different shaft provide the same or better? Worry you’re stuck on shaft and could be leaving performance.

Having seen those numbers, I don't think I'd buy either of them tbh. I think you need more spin in a fairway wood than either of those two setups offered. JMO.

If you are dead set on going that route, a small difference isn't worth a bunch of money. Too many variables in play, including the swing itself.

I'm not one to spend more money for pretty much the same results. I need my money to be worth something.

This is probably why I'm still using older clubs.

Spend the money. Play the combo that feels, performs, and is the most pleasing to you.

Save the $170 and put it towards groceries...

Similar performance I tend to lean to saving money. Who knows I might have enough left over to buy something else.

why pay $170 more for basically the same thing?

What say you? Would you go the cheaper route for the same results or would you let neurotic tendencies make you fork out the cash?
I obviously cannot speak for the specifics you’ve listed. As for the general question, I hope to never again pay considerably more for equipment that does not perform any better (and arguably a little worse in my hands).

There are a lot of dumb ways for me to piss away money… this is pretty close to the top of the list.

Save the cash, IMO. That’s a minimum of 3dz balls if you search around right

I'd save the $170 and put that toward another part of the bag where maybe the cost may be higher for more delta in performance.

Just me but I’m going Cobra and pocket the extra. Use it for down money on something else to go in bag. That said I’d go cobra just because it’s cobra.

personally I would save the 170. But it is your money. Do what you want and will make you happy.. My guess is, if you get the cobra, you will keep jones'ing for the Taylormade..

Back