Youngest Player in the Masters

Texasbrons

FXDF FatBobs Rule!!
Reaction score
Handicap
My Mouth!!
Guan Tianlang of China has won the Asia-Pacific Championship, making the 14-year-old the youngest player to qualify for the Masters. Guan closed with a 1-under-par 71 at Amata Spring Country Club, needing a par on the 18th hole to beat hard-charging Pan Cheng-tsung of Taiwan. Guan, who is in the eighth grade and weighs only about 125 pounds, couldn't reach the par 4 in two shots. He chipped to 5 feet and made the putt.
Guan will be the youngest player at Augusta National next April. The previous record was Matteo Manassero of Italy, who was about to turn 17 when he played in 2010. It's the second straight year a 14-year-old from China will play in a major. Andy Zhang qualified for the US Open last summer.

Wow, 8th grade. And of course he's Asian. They seem to be taking over golf. America needs to step it up with our young talent.

The Asian guys are going to kick our ass in a while, just look at the LPGA tour.

What an amazing young man.

8th grade, crazy! And no lie about Asians taking over golf, I see soooo many Asians at my GF's local course(sometimes I feel like the only white guy there)and this is right in the middle of Missouri, where there are practically zero Asian's. It's strange.

The Asian guys are going to kick our ass in a while, just look at the LPGA tour.
there are asin guys on the LPGA?

Wow, 8th grade. And of course he's Asian. They seem to be taking over golf. America needs to step it up with our young talent.
Considering the strength of our young American gents and the face of he dominate tours, I think we re safe from an 8th grader making a huge impact. We see what happened to AZ last year

Incredible accomplishment, but I'm also not anticipating in Asian take over in the sport of Golf. I think we'll continue to see some great talent from the continent but nothing points to a changing of the guard any time soon.

Isn't this the same kid who played in the Volvo China Open at the beginning of this year?

Isn't this the same kid who played in the Volvo China Open at the beginning of this year?

Good for him, hope he does well and enjoys it. I couldn't imagine playing on that stage at 14.

This is nuts - a kid more than half my age - is playing at the masters

Saw this earlier today. It's crazy when I was 14 I was thinking about all the girls I wanted to make out with and what was for lunch tomorrow at school. This kid is thinking about the pressure of playing in the masters! Just crazy.

I can't imagine doing anything on that stage now let alone 5 years ago. Wow.

Wow, thats just amazing. Can you imagine being that age and standing on the first tee at Augusta? At that age I probably would have just peed myself on the first tee staring down the fairway. I wonder how he will do if he couldn't even reach the par 4 at that course, he may have a hard time reaching some greens at Augusta.

Just saw on Facebook he uses an orange Udesign RAZR Fit. Nice!

Wow is right!!! This should be interesting!

Very impressive. I can't remember what I was doing at 14 but I sure as heck know it wasn't playing in the Masters. Congrats to the kid, he'll have a great experience.

Ah, I dunno. At 14 I would have been clueless and maybe escaped the pressure just out of ignorance. Just wouldn't have appreciated the immensity of it. 18 or 20 and on, I'd have stroked out before the first tee ball.

I heard he uses a belly putter. what a cheater

If he's smart, he'll just look at it as a great experience and not put any pressure on himself. He's in a win-win situation. He's so young that if he goes out and puts up an 87, people will just attribute it to his youth and won't much remember it a week after the tournament.

That is pretty awesome. This kid better start hitting the gym though so he can hit it over the creek in April.

Back