YouTube - Mark Crossfield

I enjoy some of his videos

I don't mind him, although yes his reviews are basically meaningless. He hits the club a few times, says a few stock things about forgiveness and ball flight, and asks you to comment on his video. The ones where he compares clubs are a little more informative though. Will have to check out these matchplay deals, they sound hilarious.

And yeah, he's a total Mizzy homer. When I watched the MP-64 vid, I thought I was gonna see a "this message sponsored by Mizuno" disclaimer.

I follow him on Facebook. I like some of his comparison videos of some clubs.

Same here. I feel he used to be way more honest when he didn't like something and that may have changed a bit, but overall between his consistent swing a trackman spewing the numbers, he does a great job IMO. Thorough enough, sometimes long winded, but does a very detailed review.

LOL at him not showing bias by the way. At least in the past. I haven't watched anyt recent reviews.

Love him. as soon as i started getting back into golf, i looked up golf reviews on youtube and he was the first one that came up and i was hooked. he cracks me up and i find all of the info really intriguing. awesome stuff by Mr. Parfield :laughing:

LOL at him not showing bias by the way. At least in the past. I haven't watched anyt recent reviews.

I had stopped watching him because of it, but over the past 6 months, it's there, but not as much. He's getting "better" at showing less bias I guess you could say.

I really enjoy the stuff he puts out. When I was searching for direct driver/driver or iron/iron comparisons, his stuff would usually pop up.
Pretty concise reviews, decent instructional stuff.

Lets get stuck in!

I had stopped watching him because of it, but over the past 6 months, it's there, but not as much. He's getting "better" at showing less bias I guess you could say.

We must be freaking Switzerland over here then :)

That's the best part.

Ha! Like I said, I actually enjoy some of his pieces. He's got a good thing going. More than anything I think people that watch him and quote him like the bible frustrate me more than anything. I just find some things I read here humorous regarding who is and isn't biased. If he's responded to feedback good on him.

Ha! Like I said, I actually enjoy some of his pieces. He's got a good thing going. More than anything I think people that watch him and quote him like the bible frustrate me more than anything. I just find some things I read here humorous regarding who is and isn't biased. If he's responded to feedback good on him.

For sure, he's got his stuff out there. Like I said, he's gotten "better". I still think non-pro related and influenced reviews, such as the group of testers here are always going to be better and more unbias. Not sure Mark's relationship with Mizuno now, but I know our pros that I work with, rather they admit it or not, all show a little bias towards the companies they're playing.

I've always liked Crossfield inspite of the fact his club reviews are often a bit ambiguous. Rick Shiels does a better job by showing launch monitor data with all his club reviews.

So, here's an honest question.

Outside of potential comparisons between clubs (spin rates on drivers for example), which often can just be seen via marketing material and semi-common knowledge, how relevant to an average player is the information gleaned from a very high level golfer hitting a club off mat a handful of times using launch monitor?

I like his stuff and follow him of FB and twitter. I like his reviews when he is comparing 2 or 3 brands.
Some of his tips have been helpful too.

I have a problem with any review process that can end with a "good club / bad club" verdict. A good golf club review isn't about whether or not the club fits the reviewer. There are no absolutes.

Only the Sith deal in absolutes. (I hate that line)

I've been watching his videos for a couple of years now and I honestly think his is the best golf channel on Youtube. He was kind of a mizuno fanboy at the start but he is now pretty unbiased towards all clubs.

I have a problem with any review process that can end with a "good club / bad club" verdict. A good golf club review isn't about whether or not the club fits the reviewer. There are no absolutes.

Only the Sith deal in absolutes. (I hate that line)

Don't think I've ever seen any of his reviews that end with a "good club/bad club" verdict.
He usually just talks about look, setup, forgiveness, ball flight, price-point and who the club might be better suited for.

I find his videos extremely entertaining and yes they get addictive....I will watch a bunch in a row....he cracks me up...its funny that no matter what new driver he demos his yardage is the same

Outside of potential comparisons between clubs (spin rates on drivers for example), which often can just be seen via marketing material and semi-common knowledge, how relevant to an average player is the information gleaned from a very high level golfer hitting a club off mat a handful of times using launch monitor?

Not much, but it is interesting to see what a pro thinks about a certain club and it is entertaining to watch his videos. I believe that his best videos are the course vlogs, those show the average player how a pro handles a course and their mentality, as well as showing that pros do not only hit good shots (he has hit a coule of terrible shots in his videos)

YouTube - Mark Crossfield

None! The same as all the reviews on here! They mean jack! However, it's nice to know what others think before you go and try out a club. Anyone that buys a club on someone else's review alone however, is a nutcase.

None! The same as all the reviews on here! They mean jack! However, it's nice to know what others think before you go and try out a club. Anyone that buys a club on someone else's review alone however, is a nutcase.

Fair enough. It just seems that Mr Crossfield in particular is often quoted as a means of proving/disproving certain elements of Golf Club performance or the quality an item. I tend to believe in the educational side of reviews and from the way it sounds he may do this as well. Like I said, no issues with Mr cross Crossfield, but the way his reviews are discussed or used on the Internet is sometimes baffling to me.

I watch the majority of his videos and like the reviews, but in doing so I've noticed how good modern clubs are from a lot of manufacturers and how similarly they perform if you put the same consistent swing on them. He does point that out, however for him when a club "goes that extra mile" he puts it in the bag (SLDR) jpxEz etc...

For me I watch the reviews to hear the sound of the drivers, don't know why but always interested in that.

I don't watch the weekly fixes anymore as it seems everyone has the same problems so there are lots of videos on the same points.

However he has taught me so much about ball flight, interpreting numbers and what a correct swing should do. The problem is then applying it!

Me and My Golf channel is quite good for tips and especially drills as well but can be a little dry.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

I like his work. He reports the numbers. Whenever he mentions a personal preference he always states that it is and it usually is about look or feel which he clearly says is subjective. Maybe I missed the bias ones, but I don't see it.

Mostly I enjoy his videos. The challenge with his reviews and many others' is that they are too consistent to depict our interests. I don't hit center of the face 95% of the time, so I'd benefit from numbers generated by a player more like me.

That's good about a place like THP, a THP tester would be more likely to say they're a toe miss hitter and how a club behaves on toe hits. Challenge with that is THP tests don't benefit from track man data comparisons.

So, in the end it's all useful, but there's still no substitute for trying and fitting.

Challenge with that is THP tests don't benefit from track man data comparisons.

While some prefer Trackman, there are plenty of launch monitors and several THP reviewers have the data in their reviews.

Back