Callaway Great Big Bertha Driver Preview Thread

Carlsbad isn't 2 far away, could you make an appointment at the EPC? I have thought about heading down and trying to get fit by the pros there, but have no idea on the cost...

From what I know, ECPC is tour/VIP only. Last year I went to callaway for indoor driver and iron fitting and had a blast (due to how great the fitter was).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

From what I know, ECPC is tour/VIP only. Last year I went to callaway for indoor driver and iron fitting and had a blast (due to how great the fitter was).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Doesn't being with THP make us VIPs:alien:?

From what I read it didn't seem to apply to the XR but to the 815.

From Callaway:

Yes! When the drivers are released we will have a 50% trade in bonus on V Series, 815, 815 DBD, XR, and XR Pro when trading up to a new GBB or 816.

One thing I noticed at the range today was that the "weight track" on the back of my '14 BB appears to wrap around the top of the head a little more than the new GBB, based on the pics posted here... Is the track on the GBB a little shorter, or is it just an illusion with the pics?

One thing I noticed at the range today was that the "weight track" on the back of my '14 BB appears to wrap around the top of the head a little more than the new GBB, based on the pics posted here... Is the track on the GBB a little shorter, or is it just an illusion with the pics?
Nope, in the video with Crossfield and Doc Hock, Hock said the GBB has a redesigned weight track to allow for more draw bias.

Callaway Great Big Bertha Driver Preview Thread

Nope it's not shorter, or nope it is shorter??? The GBB track.

Nope, in the video with Crossfield and Doc Hock, Hock said the GBB has a redesigned weight track to allow for more draw bias.
You can see the center of the track is noticeably more heel than that of the 14 Bertha. I don't think it is any shorter at all initially but would have to compare in hand to really tell. And the weight is 2.5g heavier than the predecessor as well.

My club had a Callaway fitting day today and the GBB was on site! I hit close to 20 drives with the Kuro Kage 50g Stiff shaft. Really like the light weight head and the matte black crown. My best drives were launching around 12.5* but spin was up over 3k (typical for me negative attack angle). Really solid feel on well struck shots and when I missed the ball still held the line, fading back towards center. I'm excited to try more shaft options!

My club had a Callaway fitting day today and the GBB was on site! I hit close to 20 drives with the Kuro Kage 50g Stiff shaft. Really like the light weight head and the matte black crown. My best drives were launching around 12.5* but spin was up over 3k (typical for me negative attack angle). Really solid feel on well struck shots and when I missed the ball still held the line, fading back towards center. I'm excited to try more shaft options!

What * did you have it set on?

Only missed one fairway with this yesterday and that was more my fault trying to play a stronger wind than what was really there. After two rounds with this thing, I'm starting to find a groove with it.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Ok, so, played 36 w this yesterday with a so so swing, so hit the range for 2 hours today including monitor time as well as 9 more holes. I'm about to be on the road again for a bit but I'll have a full update and initial thoughts tonight though I promise.

Ill say this for now though, it's for real.

Ok, so, played 36 w this yesterday with a so so swing, so hit the range for 2 hours today including monitor time as well as 9 more holes. I'm about to be on the road again for a bit but I'll have a full update and initial thoughts tonight though I promise.

Ill say this for now though, it's for real.
For real = better than BBA 815?

I was hoping for more fade bias, the weights on the 2014 didn't create enough fade movement in my experience.

Do you guys remember the original Great Big Bertha and how much larger it was than the Big Bertha. Well, that isn't how it feels or looks this time around. The new Great Big Bertha has a very pleasing head shape that frames the ball very well. The new matte finish stands out as it is opposite of the high polish so many have gotten used to. The subtleNess of the Chevron is evident as it doesn't stand out on the new finish.

The optifit adapter has become standard so maximum tuning can happen by each player. Finding your setting is easy with this club and all other Callaway clubs.

The sound off the face matches that of finish. A muted thwack as the ball blast off the face. As expected, the forgiveness is there as is the high launch that was characteristic of the old Great Big Bertha.

All in all, the Great Big Bertha is living up to its name and it's legacy.

definitely need to hit this, all this info coming in from you guys as you hit it is really great. thank you

I never ever have bought, or paid attention to, new release drivers. This thread may finally motivate me to change that.
A local unveiling/ demo of these next Thursday will give me a chance to check 'em out. And so it begins...

Hit this driver several times today on the range in Savannah with a Grandura shaft in it. Me likey!!!

I need to hit this...

Went to the range today, set the head to 10.5, may have found the key to success. Really starting to gain some confidence with this thing.

So, some thoughts and info? But of course!

Aesthetically speaking, IMO its a stunner. Once the initial pics dropped I'l admit I was indifferent to it all, though completely taken in by the return of the APW (adjustable perimeter weight) after a year of it being gone. The sole is definitely busy but in hand it stands out a ton thanks to the paint being metal-flake, the red accents in particular stand out a ton. The matte crown is solid, I still prefer the gloss look of the BB and BB815, but, I really do dig the matte and know its definitely the popular look right now. I also really like the move from the black face, that said, its not a bright metal look still, its different, it still shows impact well, and it doesn't show wear easily....thats cool. The GBB squares the ball extremely well as Freddie mentioned in his post, and the face depth it solid too, its a great look.

Performance wise, there is a LOT of talk about this one and what it can be compared to previous iterations. The BB was a great head that offered solid lateral forgiveness, decent launch, and an overall package that announced Callaway was back when it comes to drivers. The 815 kicked it up, MUCH MUCH MUCH more forgiving than the BB (I've got a crap-ton of ball speed data on misses to back that up), higher launch, and a pretty solid spin drop. Now, to hear the jump that Callaway believes they have accomplished here its definitely going to perk up some ears. But, after 36 holes on Friday, then a ton of range/monitor time and another 9 today...seeing is believing.

FWIW, though I did play around with my 815 shaft in the GBB Friday, today was all Bassara. First thing is first, I really hope people don't freak out about the weight on the Bassara, though I know they will as its the internet and everyone needs 70+ gram shafts, as though its 43g it held up to my 106+ SS's today more than adequately...in R-flex to boot :alien:

Performance wise, I am extremely impressed early on here and have zero problems saying it. Data was recorded in standard settings on the the APW, I'll start tinkering with those both on Monday. In standard 10.5 N settings I saw 13* of launch, about 3100 RPM's, and a peak height of 31 yards. After a bump to +1, 14.5* with 3200 RPM and a peak of 34 yards. I didn't bump it to +2 today, that will come soon. So, with this, I'll also say that I saw 2-3 MPH more club-head speed from my 815 (I play a 52g shaft there for clarity). Before someone says, "man that spin is high", sure, its higher than optimal according to all the charts and such but its extremely playable and carry distances seen were EXTREMELY positive for being in its stock setup and tells me that this setup will be VERY VERY playable for a ton of golfers.

Moreover, I have been the most impressed by the lateral and vertical ball-speed retention on the GBB. This is where the 815 was STELLAR and why its always made its way back into my bag, and though I haven't tracked misses yet for data, I can safely say after a debut on Friday where I was battling with my swing, I hit a lot of shots that stayed much more playable and with a less accentuated miss than I have typically seen on days with those same type misses. I was pretty much pounding the heel side early on and in play with little movement. I can say, #'s wise, that in my groupings there was not a ton of spin-axis-tilt on misses. Even #Cookie hit it on the range, called his miss, then was surprised to see the ball only slightly deviate fro where he aimed. Really looking forward to seeing the retention data here, but early impressions are beyond positive.

Before anyone asks, no, I have not hit it side by side with the 815 yet. However, on Monday I plan on it, and with the SAME shaft, the Bassara from the GBB in the 815 and then the LZ HC from my 815 in the GBB. Will tell us a lot more of the story.

Its early, sure, and I know some will roll their eyes to the positive thoughts for some reason, but having gamed full time the Big Bertha, 815 Alpha, XR, and XR Pro...it merits the positivism. Its not talk, there is a TON of tech in action here.

Some good info there James. I'm liking what you are saying and looking forward to hearing about how misses on the toe hold up numbers wise.

I haven't even hit the 815 yet, and was excited to try it sometime. But you've got me a good bit more excited to swing this one. It sounds awesome.

Back