Cobra King LTD Driver - THP Review

You guys have me really curious about this one. Jman, would you be able to compare the forgiveness to the GBB?

Didn't hit it in a large enough sample to do so fairly, to me though, its in that realm, though heel/toe I still FIRMLY believe nothing touches the GBB. Higher on the face though, this one is pretty filthy. Tremendous sound, great feel, good launch, low spin, and a solid overall package. Its a legitimate sleeper, more should go hit it.

Didn't hit it in a large enough sample to do so fairly, to me though, its in that realm, though heel/toe I still FIRMLY believe nothing touches the GBB. Higher on the face though, this one is pretty filthy. Tremendous sound, great feel, good launch, low spin, and a solid overall package. Its a legitimate sleeper, more should go hit it.

I had posted some photos of an extreme toe contact I made last week that stayed in the fairway and I couldn't believe it. Fupresti was doing a bit of the same this weekend.

Hard to draw direct comparisons to GBB without spending time with it personally, but if both are in a similar realm, it says an awful lot about the trend of drivers for 2016.

I had posted some photos of an extreme toe contact I made last week that stayed in the fairway and I couldn't believe it. Fupresti was doing a bit of the same this weekend.

Hard to draw direct comparisons to GBB without spending time with it personally, but if both are in a similar realm, it says an awful lot about the trend of drivers for 2016.

Thanks guys. My misses are more lateral on the face (esp. heel) as opposed to up and down on the face, and it sounds like both of these drivers work well even away from the center of the face. Hopefully I can fix my driver swing with a lot of work this winter to give these a proper workout in the spring.

Thanks guys. My misses are more lateral on the face (esp. heel) as opposed to up and down on the face, and it sounds like both of these drivers work well even away from the center of the face. Hopefully I can fix my driver swing with a lot of work this winter to give these a proper workout in the spring.

I think the GBB has this beat on forgiveness but I dont think the LTD is targeted at that demographic. But, for a "players driver", this thing is light years more forgiving on lateral misses versus my 816 DBD.

My gamer currently is a 430 M1 10.5 with speeder VC TS 7.2s at 45". The stock set up felt little too loose throughout the swing. I'd be willing to give X flex a chance next time I go into the store on the chance it is was the shaft flex that was causing the problems. The shot dispersion wasn't consistent through the 20 balls I hit for me to make a guess as to why I didn't get good results with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Apples to Oranges...
430 M1 is a smaller head...lower cc heads will always be more accurate, and load the shaft less, your Speeder VC TS 7.2s is a higher bend point & tighter in dispersion with more weight to boot. Its a more quality shaft for dispersion Vs the Rogue Black (made for).
Do try the X and let us know...were all keen on this club

Apples to Oranges...
430 M1 is a smaller head...lower cc heads will always be more accurate, and load the shaft less, your Speeder VC TS 7.2s is a higher bend point & tighter in dispersion with more weight to boot. Its a more quality shaft for dispersion Vs the Rogue Black (made for).
Do try the X and let us know...were all keen on this club

I don't think either of these things are true.

1. Lower CC heads are not more accurate for me. By definition they are less forgiving due to smaller surface area.

2. Made for vs not in shafts doesn't mean anything. It is all about the fit.

You guys have me really curious about this one. Jman, would you be able to compare the forgiveness to the GBB?

I'm not Jman but have the GBB in the bag and spent time with The King LTD. For me there is no comparison, the GBB is more forgiving and easier to hit. I've been a fan of Cobra for some time now and based on what I saw with my swing, the GBB leads.

My local GS had these out today. They look even better in person.

128d72ca83e3bf1c1f25fe84a137d043.jpg

When you get a chance to test them out, let us know your feedback.

now that these are hitting stores, I'm going to test one soon. I'd like to hit against my current setup and against the gbb.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've tested it out, it's pretty awesome and worked well for me with a few test swings after getting warmed up at a lesson. Long and straight. On the other hand, I haven't hit any of the other big names in 2016 drivers yet, so I can't give a comparison.

The space port is as goofy looking in person as you'd think, but it does put the King in a class of its own for CG location.

Oh, and it sounds great. Not to loud, not too quiet, not too anything really. Just really pleasant to listen to.

I am still learning and can't hit a driver very consistently, so I am not the best person to give feedback. However, it felt really good in hand and looked great at address. I made some good contact, but the LM was not on.

I am still learning and can't hit a driver very consistently, so I am not the best person to give feedback. However, it felt really good in hand and looked great at address. I made some good contact, but the LM was not on.

All feedback is good feedback. Good stuff. I agree too, it looks great in person.

The cobra rep was at golfsmith and I got to hit the pro head. First swing with it set to 7° went 280 carry! Holy crap I was in disbelief. Took two more swings and got 268 and 280 carry! I thought something was off with the monitor... hit the mb 7 iron and it carries 160 which is normal. Hit it several more times and similar results. Hit the cb 4 iron and got 200 ish, again normal... so went back to the Ltd pro driver and lofted up to 9.5. Proceeded to hit 290 carry several times! These kinds of carry numbers are not the norm for me. I was launching the 7° at about 11° to 13° and spinning about 1200-1600. Don't remember the launch numbers when I lofted up to 9.5 but was definitely higher and spinning around 1800. Definitely a low spin head but it is forgiving. The shaft was stock rogue black 60 stiff. I felt like the shaft was a bit weak for me, hard to control. I can't imagine what this thing will be like with hzrdus in it. Which my clubs stiff have not arrived...

It was fun for sure! Not my choice of shafts but can be a monster! You were roping that thing! Should have had chicken for lunch cause my wing was showing up! Can't wait to try this with another combo. I really like the 7°

It was fun for sure! Not my choice of shafts but can be a monster! You were roping that thing! Should have had chicken for lunch cause my wing was showing up! Can't wait to try this with another combo. I really like the 7°
I wanted to strangle someone when I found out my stuff wasn't there yet... but soon I hope.

The cobra rep was at golfsmith and I got to hit the pro head. First swing with it set to 7° went 280 carry! Holy crap I was in disbelief. Took two more swings and got 268 and 280 carry! I thought something was off with the monitor... hit the mb 7 iron and it carries 160 which is normal. Hit it several more times and similar results. Hit the cb 4 iron and got 200 ish, again normal... so went back to the Ltd pro driver and lofted up to 9.5. Proceeded to hit 290 carry several times! These kinds of carry numbers are not the norm for me. I was launching the 7° at about 11° to 13° and spinning about 1200-1600. Don't remember the launch numbers when I lofted up to 9.5 but was definitely higher and spinning around 1800. Definitely a low spin head but it is forgiving. The shaft was stock rogue black 60 stiff. I felt like the shaft was a bit weak for me, hard to control. I can't imagine what this thing will be like with hzrdus in it. Which my clubs stiff have not arrived...

FYI I believe the only difference in the Pro vs the regular LTD is the MyFly settings. The Pro is fade biased and has lower loft options.

FYI I believe the only difference in the Pro vs the regular LTD is the MyFly settings. The Pro is fade biased and has lower loft options.
True...was quite surprised at that when talking with the rep.

That's what the rep said. Both Ltd and pro are 460cc and only difference is the loft settings. Ltd can adjust upright for draw bias and the pro can go flatter for fade bias. I'm not even sure if the head itself is more fade bias in the pro version, just the ability to go flatter I think. I think I just like the black ring instead of the chrome??? Haha who knows. I just know I hit the pro head today and it was a monster. Needed some taming but a beast nonetheless

This is something I really want to try out. Just waiting for my guy to get this in and I'm hoping for good results on the flight scope. Glad to hear this has had positive results for different people

That's what the rep said. Both Ltd and pro are 460cc and only difference is the loft settings. Ltd can adjust upright for draw bias and the pro can go flatter for fade bias. I'm not even sure if the head itself is more fade bias in the pro version, just the ability to go flatter I think. I think I just like the black ring instead of the chrome??? Haha who knows. I just know I hit the pro head today and it was a monster. Needed some taming but a beast nonetheless

From what Fupresti and I were told with R&D the head is not more fade biased.

Yep. They were pretty adamant that this head was neutral in setup.

Yep. They were pretty adamant that this head was neutral in setup.
That's what I was getting at. Was trying to clear up what fupresti posted earlier

That's what I was getting at. Was trying to clear up what fupresti posted earlier

I got you. I was referring to the Adapter settings.

Went to local Golfsmith to hit this club tonight. Even the stock configuration looks great and feels even better. Wanted to get some launch monitor numbers but it was so juiced it really did not make sense - my swing speed is about 105mph and ball speed around 150-155mph - so I know I will not hit 300+ yards without some major help.So I scrapped that plan but compared the King LTD to several 2015 drivers The monitor showed my best two drives at 331 and 325 yards.... I was laughing my head off and at that point and did not bother even remembering the carry numbers.
This was a stock King LTD with Rogue 95 stiff at 10.5 degrees.

With that said, compared to the Fly Z+ the face feels softer to me and I like the general shape of the King LTD better. Also, definitely more forgiving as my dispersion left to right was about 2/3 of the Fly Z+. Also, distance dispersion was better as I did not record a single "juiced" drive below 290 yards.

Compared to GBB, Kuro Tini Stiff at 10.5 degrees, GBB felt better when ball was hit from the heel side, King LTD felt better from slight toe and higher up on the face. Both clubs had similar side to side dispersion, but King LTD had about 200-300rpm less spin. Distance dispersion was tighter with the GBB, but I am not sure if that is due to my swings or the club head. King LTD had a longer total distance due to lower spin but I believe the carry numbers on the monitor were actually similar. Overall the GBB felt friendlier but less explosive.

M1 was at 10.5 degrees, weight in the draw setting, Fujikura Speeder Evolution 661 Tourspec - not my choice of shaft - but this was in the head. For some reason the head felt extremely heavy and cumbersome. I actually liked it when I hit this club before with the Kuro Kage but maybe I don't get along with the Speeder shaft. Anyway, for today, dispersion was all over the place and the club did not feel forgiving at all. I actually had a tough time hitting a decent drive with this club and overall the face felt dead.

Back