TaylorMade M1 Driver Review Thread

If you buy into the idea that low spin/high launch will get you longer distances (given a particular swing speed), then it would be reasonable to believe that a club that more easily generates low spin/high launch without changing swing speed could be longer.

I know in hitting the M1 (admittedly 15-20 swings) I saw consistent low spin (1500-2000).

Yes, faster is longer but there is more than one way to skin a cat.
Oh, I know. This is a user group that on average would already know to be lower spin, higher launch. Its just curiously interesting to me. Good on TM for producing a winner.

Oh, I know. This is a user group that on average would already know to be lower spin, higher launch. Its just curiously interesting to me. Good on TM for producing a winner.

Knowing one should be lower spin is not the same as being able to hit it with lower spin. My theory with the M1 is that with the carbon fiber crown, TM has been able to shift a lot of weight lower and forward, making it easier to hit with less spin.

Great writeup Joe. It sounds like this driver is the real freaking deal.
I highly recommend you don't unless you are planning on spending money.
You see, you say that, but it makes me want to hit it more hahaha. Oh well, if I must have it, I have things to sell hehe

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Knowing one should be lower spin is not the same as being able to hit it with lower spin. My theory with the M1 is that with the carbon fiber crown, TM has been able to shift a lot of weight lower and forward, making it easier to hit with less spin.

The lower part, I would agree with, but not the forward part. They tried to do that with SLDR, it wasn't easier to hit although the spin was low.

I liked it. Didn't love. But I liked it.

Personally, I'm a fan of a dialed down sound. If the M1 is a bit dialed down by comparison to other drivers, I am actually pretty excited by the idea of it.

I need to get this thing in hand to take some swipes. Wish my course had a more robust demo collection.
Interesting is this. When the weight is all the way back I found very muted thwack sound. Crank the weight forward and it was more metallic sound.

And I talked to my pro. With a little discount on the club and a bonus on the trade in I couldn't resist. M1 on order.

Last edited:
Interesting is this. When the weight is all the way back I found very muted thwack sound. Crank the weight forward and it was more metallic sound.
The sound changes for sure depending where the weight is.

I played this again today and hit some flat out bombs I think the biggest thing I am noticing is even my bad balls are still in play. Really impressed by the forgiveness so far.

The sound changes for sure depending where the weight is.

I played this again today and hit some flat out bombs I think the biggest thing I am noticing is even my bad balls are still in play. Really impressed by the forgiveness so far.
Can't wait to put mine in play Sunday

I went out right after work and played a quick 8 holes before dark. I hit two balls off every tee one with my R15 and one with the M1. Same Aldila Rouge black 60 shaft in both clubs with B330RX balls. The M1 easily longer than the R15 for me. a good drive for me with the R15 was in the 242 to 245 range, M1 was 247 to 261, all measured using my GPS. I don't really see why some people are not liking the sound, maybe they were hitting it indoors, the club sounds great to me outside. I am absolutely thrilled about this club.

Night and day actually. Weight back, love the sound...weight forward...not so much. Weight forward is where I need it and could get over the sound. Such and good feeling driver all around. Thanks for the opportunity kang!

Night and day actually. Weight back, love the sound...weight forward...not so much. Weight forward is where I need it and could get over the sound. Such and good feeling driver all around. Thanks for the opportunity kang!
More on course and range action tomorrow. I'm thinking sticking the weight in the middle to see the sound and performance

I wanted to love the m1 when I tried it, I really did. But I didn't. Felt fine, couldn't stop hooking it. I'm sure it had more to do with my swing but at $500 I had to pass.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I saw the M1 range at my local pro shop this afternoon and I hate to admit it but I really like the look of all the clubs. The driver looks great but holy crap, the fairway wood and hybrid are gorgeous!
They're all way too expensive for me currently but when the prices come down I'll be sure to consider them.

Great manual put out by TaylorMade this year. Shows how adjusting loft impacts changes face angle AND spin. Also shows that they expect the back track to tune spin around 300rpm total.

ce3efa052e681530ebcf226af76424a6.jpg

1ca283e5e1602f489fd2aed7f44624d6.jpg

d0007037c1bfe145b4d3e416790d760b.jpg

Yet to hit this but I have a huge ponder for it. Was talking to a guy about this the other day and the shaft options and the head seem like a winner to me.

Yet to hit this but I have a huge ponder for it. Was talking to a guy about this the other day and the shaft options and the head seem like a winner to me.

I think with the weight back and one of the higher launch/spin shafts, you'd like this one. The Fuji 60 was great when I tried it.

Heading to the range in a little while for a "Driver-Off" between the TM M1 with Chrome Elements + and Callaway GBB with Alidia Tour Green. Fade weights are set in both to start, both are 9.5, dialed down to 9.0. Now if I can just wake up.

Great manual put out by TaylorMade this year. Shows how adjusting loft impacts changes face angle AND spin. Also shows that they expect the back track to tune spin around 300rpm total.

This is pretty consistent with what I saw, I believe 250 rpm difference just for me on average. The tech works, there's no doubt about it and it makes it more playable than previous releases. Just a matter if the clubs matches the tastes of your sound/feel and looks requirements.

Oh, and this with Kuro Kage I think will be a good match for me.

On the simulator at Goldsmith, this driver seems to hit it lower and with less backspin for me...went about 10 yards further on average than 915D2 I am gaming now...if the simulator is to be trusted that is....others seeing similar findings???

These sure are popular at my club. I saw 6 or 7 of these M1s yesterday in peoples bags. I hit 10 shots with one a few days ago but I'm going to take one out for a round or two test drive before making any conclusions. I'm still waiting for my GBB to arrive so I'm hoping I don't like the M1 too much!:act-up:

With the difference in spin being about 250-400 rpm I can't for the life of me figure out why anyone would play the weight forward.

I hit this last night. 12* up to 13.5 weights back and center, Fuji Pro 60 stiff. It was good, but I didn't have my gamer with me to compare directly.
It did appear quite closed at address (ugh) and kept going left on me so it kind of killed whatever desire I had for it. I'll try again in a more direct comparison one of these days.

With the difference in spin being about 250-400 rpm I can't for the life of me figure out why anyone would play the weight forward.

I hit this last night. 12* up to 13.5 weights back and center, Fuji Pro 60 stiff. It was good, but I didn't have my gamer with me to compare directly.
It did appear quite closed at address (ugh) and kept going left on me so it kind of killed whatever desire I had for it. I'll try again in a more direct comparison one of these days.
What type of launch were you seeing? I'm launching higher than my previous gamer, an I'm just set to 10.5

What type of launch were you seeing? I'm launching higher than my previous gamer, an I'm just set to 10.5

Similar launch to my 915, less than my D200. Lower spin though which for me isn't always a good thing.

Back