Would You Use Lead Tape?

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Had a conversation with a friend today about clubs and the looks of them and he said he could not use lead tape because of the way it makes the club look. I kind of thought about that more and realized how few people I have seen with tape on their clubs.

Now obviously there are other ways to get something right for a golfer, but the question is, would you use it?

I would absolutely use lead tape, and have thought about picking some up. I do also want to try the tungsten squares that are denser than the lead tape.

In a heart beat I love good looking clubs but lead tape doesnt bother me at all just screams gamer to me.

Yep. Have and will again.

If I needed to, yes. I have used it in the past but with new fittings I find less use for it. The look of it doesn't bother me.

I use it on my putters all the time. I've dabbled with it on my wedges as well.

If it would help me, hell yeah I would use it.

Of course I would use lead tape. Ask your friend if he would play with lead tape on his clubs if he could cut 3 strokes off his score. Would he be worried about how his clubs look then? I just wish i knew how to place lead tape to achieve what I wanted.

See it often on tour players equipment. IMO: it fine tunes weight, GC, SW, Counterbalancing. lead tape on the back of a iron is better than lead in the shaft tip. Great on Drivers moving weight around, Great on wedges higher up the flange, Great on putters heal/toe. Lead tape can also reduce dings/chatter, not that its used for that purpose. On old persimmons they simply drilled a hole and knocked in a lead plug. Beware the roll of thin lead tape, not sure the brand, it does not stick well. Always clean the surface with a solvent before application to ensure a lasting adhesion

Last edited:
I would rather find a heavier shaft option that performed well for me rather than use lead tape. I went with lead weight in the shaft tip last time since it was a cheaper fix

I would put it only inside the undercut cavity iron. Good way to hide it. Not on blades though.

I have used lead tape on all my clubs at one point or another. For me it was more of a feel thing than anything else. I personally think lead tape is going the way of the dinosaur. With the adjust ability of modern clubs. Where you once used lead tape you now just change or slide the weights. Lead tape still has a place with irons from most manufactures but as PXG has shown you can have move-able weight on irons as well.

I haven't found an instance where I would need it but I'm not against using it.

I would use it if I had any clue on what to do and what not to do. I think if it makes you play better than looks really shouldn't matter but to each their own.

If I thought it would actually help things but I am not sure my swing is solid enough to make it effective.

I would definitely use lead tape again, but I would really want to be able to see a difference in the results.

I think the ability to tinker on your own, and see tangible improvements, would be a great asset.

If I had a need, yes I would use it and not think twice about it.

I would, but I never have.

I used to use it a good bit years ago. Haven't used lead tape at all lately, except on a putter, but, would if it helped.

I never have but I also don't know enough about where I would need to apply it for it to benefit me.

Yes. I have a big roll.

If it improves the performance of the club with my swing, I certainly would.

Nope. I can't do it.

Nope I just couldn't do it.

Back