What Makes Clubs Sell vs Not Sell?

Price, marketing and brand perception IMO are the biggest factors.

In the big picture I don't think so.
Use seemore as an example, I love see more and lots of us here have purchased see more, but whenever I look into bags at my club I never see a see more.
If not for THP I would never have purchased a seemore. I think THP can help companies with sales, but in the bigger picture it's not a needle mover.
I may be way off base though

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk
I get that, but with the number of hits THP has daily from "guest". People are looking for information before buying. Not saying it's needle moving but it's probably higher than most think. Just a thought.

I get that, but with the number of hits THP has daily from "guest". People are looking for information before buying. Not saying it's needle moving but it's probably higher than most think. Just a thought.
Oh yes I agree. I think companies should spend more of their advertising dollars on sites like this instead of giving a pro millions of dollars

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

Oh yes I agree. I think companies should spend more of their advertising dollars on sites like this instead of giving a pro millions of dollars
I assume it has to make a difference based on the amount of access THP and it's members have to these companies and their gear.

I imagine the hope is that we increase exposure through word of mouth and social media, which allows them to use that for marketing purposes "on the cheap". Now, one of us needs to make the tour.

I think THP absolutely has a part, along with other review sites. In all honesty the only reason I came across THP was because I was researching clubs earlier this year and came across this site. The reviews here also have helped me with other purchases. For me reviews from other "average guys" is huge and THP helps deliver that.

Outside of that marketing and looks are big ones.

I don't think anything can beat in hand experience, there are many platforms that bring the consumer in to a store to try a club but I would think performance would be the ultimate deciding factor.

Marketing, price point and looks all play a factor for me . If the item is presented well,price is in range of others similar and looks I will give the sticks a go

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

I would agree with this. And look at the events THP hosts. The cost we pay as members covers dinners, lodging if included and golf. We NEVER have to pay for the gear. The gear is always thrown in my the equipment sponsor. Golf equipment is a tough enough industry to make profit in as is so throwing free sets of irons or bags or drivers or whatever isnt worth it unless you were sure that the investment was there. Which i would think it is

I came to THP looking for review info and a lot of the new embers recently mentioned the samething. Lots of eyes here that may not join or comment much.

Exactly. Free gear generally equals positive reviews from the people receiving the gear and thus the people coming to thp to read about clubs are impacted. THP is a fantastic marketing platform in a lot of ways and it's why we see companies like Callaway engaging with the community here.

I think that peoples perception and preconceived notions about a particular manufacturer plays a big part in this as well

I will honestly admit that years ago I would never have considered Callaway clubs as they were predominantly seen in the bags of older players around here, which (incorrectly) gives the impression that they were not for younger people. But having hit a number of Callaway offerings since joining THP, they are a company that would most definitely be in the mix whenever I look at new clubs

Also, I would have to say availability of clubs to try will have a huge impact as a lot of people won't buy something without having at least seen it, or hit balls with it. The clubs I have been to, none of them have had any Bridgestone gear (that I have noticed) so they never get considered yet I know a lot of people on here love them, but without being able to try them I am not going to spend money on something that I may not subsequently like

Let me use this one as an example. Take Cobra Fly-Z+ as an example.

Tour use? Check, in fact one of only a couple of guys that move the needle using it.
Brand history? Solid foundation including hall of famers.
Looks/Colors? Obviously subjective but they had it all covered
Price point? In line or less than its peers.

So why did it not move? I mean people are raving about the M1 movement and it's very similar with less weight.

Is this an isolated thing? Or is brand perception perhaps the biggest needle mover of them all now?

A few things specific to this. First of PhillyV had a spot on comment that Rickie is more known for Puma than for Cobra. Just like Jordan is better known for Under Armour than for Titleist. When I think of Rickie, I think Puma far before I think Cobra (supporting Phil's thought).

Secondly, who is Rickie moving the needle for? Milenials, as in fans without the disposable income that the golf OEMs are targeting. Outside of aficionados that populate sites like THP, I would bet strongly that most milenials don't have the means to upgrade their clubs much at all. Definitely not annually.

Your older golfers, the ones with the disposable income, aren't usually going to trend towards flashy looking gear, which Cobra definitely has a large amount of. They'll go to the classic looks of the other major OEMs.

Now, as the milenials get older and gain more disposable income, I could see a boom for Cobra at that time. But it's not there yet.

Bingo brochacha. More shocking to people than the actual number perusing the forum constantly looking for info who aren't members would be the traffic the homepage (which very few forum regulars/posters visit) gets.

Correct, that's how I found this place, did a google search for review for a club and found it here, been here ever since.

Bingo brochacha. More shocking to people than the actual number perusing the forum constantly looking for info who aren't members would be the traffic the homepage (which very few forum regulars/posters visit) gets.

I can echo this sentiment. I was a lurker, and while THP wasn't a "needle mover" it was definitely a validation tool, and on a few instances it was the final nudge that led to the purchase. I don't think that I would have been comfortable taking the plunge on big purchases without it.

Since becoming a member the site does more to the initial ponder process, as well as the validation. Often times THP will drop some knowledge on me and turn me on to a product I would never have given consideration to.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Correct, that's how I found this place, did a google search for review for a club and found it here, been here ever since.

Same with me. I have learned so much on this forum since I have been a member. I am trying companies that I would have never given the time of day before. It has helped my game so much because I now understand what I am looking for with equipment. Now the next step for me is to learn the differences in shafts and the effect they have on ball flight.

Their is a reason why all the big club manufactures go all out to sponsor THP events.

Tour usage means nothing to me. They are playing a completely different game than what I play. I know the OEM's use the tour for marketing, but I pay little to no attention to that.

I care a little about who Callaway has on staff, as strange as that may seem. I can think of a couple of player's on tour I would be VERY disappointed to see them sign. Could be a deal breaker for me. I like their current staff players and sooner or later they will sign someone who I don't like, and then I'll decide how much it bothers me.

Exactly. Free gear generally equals positive reviews from the people receiving the gear and thus the people coming to thp to read about clubs are impacted. THP is a fantastic marketing platform in a lot of ways and it's why we see companies like Callaway engaging with the community here.

I agree. I raced radio controlled cars competitively for about 5-6 years winning 3 National Titles. Sponsorships soon came involving free gear and partial % off retail deals. Sure I pushed my sponsors product but I also ran gear that was sometimes inferior just to get stuff cheaper. It wasn't a cheap hobby (I probably averaged about $10k) a year in expenses.

Getting back to your comment.....My question then is ..... If THP testers, contest winners, etc get free hookups and hash out positive reviews then how is that unbiased feedback which the site I believe is founded upon.

I agree. I raced radio controlled cars competitively for about 5-6 years winning 3 National Titles. Sponsorships soon came involving free gear and partial % off retail deals. Sure I pushed my sponsors product but I also ran gear that was sometimes inferior just to get stuff cheaper. It wasn't a cheap hobby (I probably averaged about $10k) a year in expenses.

Getting back to your comment.....My question then is ..... If THP testers, contest winners, etc get free hookups and hash out positive reviews then how is that unbiased feedback which the site I believe is founded upon.

In three years as a staff writer and 2 more years on THP beyond that I have NEVER been asked/told/swayed to write anything other than what I see, good, bad, and indifferent. Nor will it EVER happen here.

Some like to come up with conspiracy theories on such things, but they could not be more off base. Maybe it happens elsewhere, but it sure as hell doesn't happen here, or I wouldn't be doing what I do.

In three years as a staff writer and 2 more years on THP beyond that I have NEVER been asked/told/swayed to write anything other than what I see

I'll be honest I have no clue how the site works, pays it's bills, how staff people are compensated, if anybody gets free hookups, etc. etc.

Also I haven't been an active member very long.
When I first came on here a couple years ago, Cleveland seemed to be the hyped brand.
Fast forward to now and Callaway is the "IT" brand. If I look at your WITB every club is a Cally.
If I look at the ad banner right now its a Built for Outrageous Speed Cally XR banner.
Isn't the THP van wrapped in the Cally logo?

If I was a new lurker on here, keenly observing, I'd simply ask myself... is this site owned perhaps by Callaway Golf?

I'm not trying to throw around accusations or draw up conspiracies because like I said I simply don't know the unpinnings of how a site works or is managed. I am simply pointing out things I am observing, and to quote you "good, bad or indifferent".

I'll be honest I have no clue how the site works, pays it's bills, how staff people are compensated, if anybody gets free hookups, etc. etc.

When I first came on here a couple years ago, Cleveland seemed to be the hyped brand.
Fast forward to now and Callaway is the "IT" brand. If I look at your WITB every club is a Cally.
If I look at the ad banner right now its a Built for Outrageous Speed Cally XR banner.

If I was a new lurker on here, keenly observing, I'd simply ask myself... is this site owned perhaps by Callaway Golf?

I'm not trying to throw around accusations or draw up conspiracies because like I said I simply don't know the unpinnings of how a site works or is managed. I am simply pointing out things I am observing, and to quote you "good, bad or indifferent".

There is no "IT" brand (no more than there is in the general marketplace). Heck, we just had a group of THPers at the Cleveland/Srixon HQ to meet R&D and play golf as part of the THP Event. THP as a business features ads from just about every brand out there. In fact in this section alone both Callaway and Bridgestone have banner ads. On the home page, Cleveland, Srixon, Callaway, Lamkin, KBS, Hopkins, Epoch and a number of others are there. In the forum, Puma, Bridgestone, Wilson, TaylorMade, UST, True Temper, KBS and about 10 others are featured. THP also has Events sponsored by over a dozen companies. The Tour Van features logos and gear on the wrap from more than 12 companies.

Our writers are not compensated at ALL from any of these companies. They review goods from EVERY company out there and always have and always will. Not sure what this has to do with the OP, but always happy to answer questions about it. Heck, we are the ONLY place that invites its members out to their events and will go over how ANYTHING and EVERYTHING works. And did so all over the entire country and will do it again next year. While others claim transparency, there is only one and will remain only one.

You're not throwing out accusations... but silly assumptions instead. Which are taking negatively by any sensible human who spend their time trying to be as unbiased as possible for EVERY piece of equipment that arrives.

Rather than assume, look around. You've belonged to THP for what, four years? Ever take the time to read a review by the companies that you think aren't "IT" right now? I'm assuming you haven't based on your 'opinion' (which is a shame) but we're all here for our own reasons and the creators of THP strongly encourage everyone make THP what they want it to be.

But let me tell you something very openly and clearly. As an unpaid employee of THP (or club companies) reviewing equipment, I find your comments offensive. You can say they aren't intended to be all you want, they are still offensive to me, as I spend hours upon hours trying to understand equipment and introduce that knowledge in my reviews in an easily readable format. At the end of the day, it is INSANELY easy to bash a product for what it doesn't do for my golf game -- But it's also a horrible way to review equipment and I will move on before I ever go about it that way.

Paid/in-pocket/favoured.... that's hilarious. Jman is captaining the Grandaddy this year. It's an incredible event hosted by Callaway and he's showing his interest by filling his bag with Callaway gear. You twist it to suggest they are favoured and there is bias... I twist it to suggest he's got a hell of a lot of character by repping a company that will be making his year.

Your assumptions aren't innocent, they are malicious. Whether it's intentional or not, you need to know they offend the very people who focus their time on making the THP homepage as strong and unbiased as it is.

The number one used on tour has been number one sold in just about every category. I would say it's a pretty big factor.

I think there are 2 types of shoppers in everything. I will use something I am more familiar with to help my case here. The 90%. They buy based off marketing and brand loyalty. In the beer world these are the guys that only drink Bud Light or Coors Original or whatever brand they got started on. This has nothing to do with taste (although they say it does) but with what marketing plan got them to buy when they were younger, and they stuck with it. A lower Price point helps here, but it is usually at the same price point as all the other beers they would buy, so it doesn't really matter.

Then there is the 10%. They buy based off research into the subject. In the beer world these are your craft beer drinkers. They join beer websites or look up rating before buying. They don't care that Budweiser has horses playing football, they care what the product tastes like.

In the golf world the 90% are the people who follow golf and enjoy playing it, but aren't on THP or any other golfing forum. They buy what is marketed to them and tour use is a major form of marketing to them. So whatever favorite golfer/commercial got these guys probably can count on them always buying their products. Example I was a huge Tiger Woods fan growing up, the first time I could afford to buy my own new clubs, Nike got all my dollars. I'm sure at the time Tiger was leading the tour in some stats, so it fell in line for me buying the best on tour. For your Cobra example Fowler using the product is great, but they didn't have an established base since King Cobra, and they don't have many commercials that I have seen. Titleist is an example of having the set base and known names. The Pro V1 is the number 1 ball on tour and in sales. They have so many golfers and so many people will always buy Titleist balls because they always have.

The 10% are the guys on this forum and others. They not only search for which clubs to get, but will demo all of them, with multiple shafts, on a launch monitor and let the numbers lead them to the brand to buy. They don't care that Jason Day won a tournament and used the new TaylorMade M1, the launch monitor told them the best club for their swing is the brand X driver with the Brand Z shaft.

So in terms of moving products, the 90% rule the market. Cobra has been behind on marketing, the tour pro they got has been interesting, but not a guy that will get grown men to buy clubs because of him. He isn't the biggest hitter, he wasn't winning a lot of events (although you would think the top 5s in all 2014 Majors would help, but people like winners), he wasn't the best at anything. The big 3 (to me at least) Titleist, Callaway and TaylorMade have a lot of tour guys. They use the 90% rule to help them out. The more guys you have on tour, the more chance you can get someone to like your brand because of that player.

Well thought out response. Interesting analogy to the Craft Beer stuff.

You're not throwing out accusations... but silly assumptions instead.

Your assumptions aren't innocent, they are malicious. Whether it's intentional or not, you need to know they offend the very people who focus their time on making the THP homepage as strong and unbiased as it is.

Seemed like I hit a nerve.
I never thought I assumed anything. I was simply stating observations. I believed if anything you assumed what you thought I was assuming.

Back