Which of these three is the better achievement?

I'll take #3.

#1 is the best achievement, but like everyone said #3 is much easier to talk up.

67. But for me the bigger achievement is shooting 75 on tournament day, when the score really counts. It's one thing to shoot 65 on a day with the buddies, it's another to break 80 in a field of 144 when you're playing against 50 guys in your class level.

67. But for me the bigger achievement is shooting 75 on tournament day, when the score really counts. It's one thing to shoot 65 on a day with the buddies, it's another to break 80 in a field of 144 when you're playing against 50 guys in your class level.

I guess it depends who you ask.

I'd take a 65 with friends 100 out of 100 times over 75 in a tournament.

I'd take any of them in a heartbeat, but I think the greatest achievement is #1. I think difficulty is definitely a factor. Which would I be more proud of - a 69 at Augusta National or a 67 at my home course?

I would take the 67, then I could always say that I had shot my age. :smile:

To me, 5 under is 5 under. Even on an "easy" course you still had to be firing on all cylinders for that to happen. At any point, on any course you can blow up and double or triple a hole.

However, all three have their pros of why you could argue they're the "best" achievement.

This is in line with my thinking.

First option is the better score for me. The 67 is actually a good score but shot on an easier layout

I would take #3

67 for me, Id say 99% of golfers wouldnt remember the slope ratings years down the road when telling the story, but the score they will
Score always sticks, we always remember the 59s on the PGA tour, not where they were shot.

#1 is the best achievement
However, if you're looking to brag to someone who's not a hardcore golfer, #3 is what you're looking for.

Most non golfers don't know, or care about course/slope ratings.

2 years ago before taking up golf o would have thought someone shooting a 67 at the local municipal course was the exact same as Tiger shooting a 67 on TV.
I didn't know there were a different set of Tee's, and I think I was typical of the average non (or rare) golfer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Buddy A - "Whatcha shoot?"
Me - "Five under."
Buddy B (From Philly) - "Get the F out!!"

A$$hat in the pro shop - "What was the slope?"

Buddy B - "Shut the F up, he shot FIVE UNDER!"

'Nuff said.

I'll take #3 any day assuming it's a "Full size golf course". Based on the given rating and slope I'd say it is.

I'd take #3 all day any day. But I wouldn't kick 1 or 2 out of bed to eat crackers either.

Same, no one has ever asked me the slope/rating. Average golfers/people only care/notice the score.
True, but who cares what average people think?

I'll take playing the best golf 10 times out of 10.

Think about it another way...which is better, saying you shot 2 under at your local muni, or saying you shot 2 under at the Pebble Beach?

True, but who cares what average people think?

I'll take playing the best golf 10 times out of 10.

Think about it another way...which is better, saying you shot 2 under at your local muni, or saying you shot 2 under at the Pebble Beach?
None of this makes sense for the argument I think you're trying to make.

#1 is the best achievement. However #3 looks / sounds the coolest....

Sent from my LG-H901 using Tapatalk

I would opt for #1 because I will know its the best achievement and that imo is what counts most to me.
I cant care and don't care whether or not people on the outside (or even other golfers) don't understand or bother to think about the course difficulty.
I play golf for my own achievements and being concerned with what others may remember or not realize about the situation would only then be more about my own ego than my golf. So give me the (almost 5 strokes) under that scratch golfer rating regardless if its the highest score of the 3. Its not about other people and my ego imo but is about me and my game.
But in all honesty choosing between these 3 options is a problem I can only wish I really had :D

Are there other factors that might influence the choice, such as yardage of each of the courses, age of the golfer, type of course (private/semi-private/public), etc?

Same, no one has ever asked me the slope/rating. Average golfers/people only care/notice the score.

#3 for me. Easy.

I'm still not sure exactly what it means and I've researched it many times. Lol

I'm surprised how many think #3 is the most impressive. I'd take #1 every time as it takes a lot more skill than the other 2. The 70 on the tough course works out to a 6 under differential and the 67 works out to only a 2.6 under differential. The former I have done only a dozen or so times in 37 years, the latter I've accomplished 8 or more times this year.

#1 would be the most satisfying to me personally. While the lower score may be the best to brag about and impress more people, that's not really a consideration for me.

All 3 are impressive. But as the years and decades go by for me I tend to forget most rounds. So for me number 3 would be the one that stands out the most. My lowest on a regulation course is a 69 , and that happened back in 99 or 98 I believe (weekend men's club event ). I still remember that score and remember I eagled a par 5 and made one birdie and 0 bogeys

when we get older it all just turns into a number

Which of these in your opinion is the best round? Should it be based on lowest score, lowest differential to par or lowest differential to course rating?

1 - Shooting a 70 on a Par 72 course rated 74.8/139 or
2 - Shooting a 68 on a Par 70 course rated 69.2/118 or
3 - Shooting a 67 on a Par 72 course rated 69.3/124

There are discussions about all of the above. As many have already stated, most of the general golfing public hear the number (-5 .. 67) and think "wow, great score." But given the slope and rating, the course is not that difficult. Maybe with some short par 4's and reachable par 5's with barely any bunkering or water hazards. With that being said though, you still have to get the ball in the hole. I know some Par 3 golf courses that have kicked my A** at some point or another! LOL
IMHO, I like #1. The higher the rating, the more difficult the course is. And with a rating of 74.8, which it really should be a par 75 essentially, so in fact, it was close to being a (-5) anyway. I would much rather shoot a -2 on a more difficult course than a -5 on an easy course.
Hell ... what am I saying ... I would just like to shoot under par again!! Even if it's on a Par 3!

Not a Sermon ... Just a Thought

#3 for me as well. For the same reason as most, the score is STLL 5 under par. That's my PB number and it's similar to this question. I shot a 67 on my home course that's a fairly easy Par 72. It's the number that matters to me. Like others said, to shoot 5 under is firing on all cylinders, no matter the course, in my opinion.

Back