Do you use the bump and run?

Jman

Here for the Conversation
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Handicap
SOFTCAPPED
Conversation I had with my #2 bag yesterday, kid has amazing touch in full pitches and manipulates the club face well, but he won't try the bump and run unless forced. My #1 on the other hand got a front row seat at state last year to one of the top junior golfers in the country destroying a course with bumpers all day, and has added it back to his arsenal this summer to see his scoring average drop even more. (as a freshman he used it all the time, but as his touch developed he fell in love with the dainty shots).

I myself don't play it enough when I think about it, so what about you thp? Do you play the bump and run as a regular part of your arsenal? If not, why?

Nope, I don't use the bump and run unless it's completely obvious that is the play and my normal shot around the green with my 54 would be way harder to execute. My good local buddy does the bump and run with a 9i so well it makes me green with envy, but I just don't practice nor have experience with it and therefore don't feel comfortable playing that shot in a round.

Last edited:
I wild like to implement it more into my game but I just can’t grasp the setup and execution and find myself resorting more to the touch shots. May have to work on it this off season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I actually use my 8i for this quite a bit. It just seems easier.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Do you use the bump and run?

On a course that allows it it’s one of my favorite shots to hit. I’ve got a lot more confidence rolling a ball up than I do having to hit a touch 54/58 to get pin high.

And I’ve got enough experience hitting the little sideways punch out of the woods that I’ve honed that shot.

I use it occasionally. Probably not as often as I should, I do a fair amount of low running chip shots, but not often a true bump and run.

If I have half a green or more I'm going to use it, 8or9,pw depends on the situation for it but i use it more often than a traditional pitch shot

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

The B&R is a regular at my house. If you know the speed of the greens, I find it more affective than chips and pitches. I think young golfers should learn as many shots as they can. It will only serve them down the road when they really learn how to play.

Reactions: Ooo
Almost every time time I play!!

I use bump and run a lot around the green. I find I’m consistently closer this way.

I do, especially right around the green and on longer shots if the fairway runs into the green.

I have been working at adding the bump and run to my arsenal of shots. I have had some success with it. The trick, as I am discovering is to find the target area to hit to where your bump lands and your run begins. So far I am learning that on many of my shots I'm misjudging and leaving my bumps a bit short and not it's not giving me the amount of desired run I would prefer.

Funny that this topic gets a thread. I was telling one of the guys I play with regularly that I needed to go back to using the bump and run more around the greens. I use to use it all the time when I was younger, but got away from it the past several years. I am sure it would take a while to get even respectable at it again, but I am going to start working on it.

It’s not my go to shot as I like to open up the face and fly it in, but need to practice it more.

Really don't have much of a chance to play this shot due around the greens due to the lack of size of the greens. Probably play this type of shot around the green about once every 3 or 4 rounds. Have been playing basically a bump and run to get out of tree trouble a lot recently though.

Not really no. I don't always hit flop shots but I don't use anything thats not a wedge around the green

My go to shot around the greens is a 54 or 58 played back in my stance - in my opinion it's a really predictable shot in terms of check and runout. When I play with scratch or plus handicap players, I notice that they mainly use bump and run type shots around the greens.

I use it, but it has as much success as the dainty stuff. It’s not fun when the bump and run checks up.

My playing partner uses it masterfully, that is how he compensates for the lack of distance.
I myself don't but I definitely should use it more - I just don't practice it enough to be confident with it.

I’m more likely to use an 8 iron or less around the greens than one of my 4 wedges. I miss on average 5 GIR. About 1 of those will be a greenside bunker which leaves 4 greenside chip/pitch/B&R opportunities per round. I’d guess I hit the bump and run 75% of the time. The last two rounds I’ve used my 4 wood for a greenside shot twice each round.

Not really no. I don't always hit flop shots but I don't use anything thats not a wedge around the green
You can play a bump and run with any wedge too fwiw.

I usually play the ball to roll. I cant seem to get my technique down to have the ball check up consistently. I also like the "free read" as the ball rolls towards the hole.

I do depending on the length, shot needed, length, green aspects, etc

For the original question, I do not play it as much as a higher ball.

Now, just because I like to have things spelled out for me, let's define it.

1. At what point does it become a BnR versus a pitch? Versus a chip?
2. What distances from the edge of the green? Versus a chip/pitch?

As a sidebar, I read a little tip that may help you BnR guys/gals. Stand the shaft a smidge upright to raise the heel of the club. It will help with catching the heel on the grass.

You can play a bump and run with any wedge too fwiw.

When I hear bump and run I think 7-8 iron or as we like to refer to it "old man golf" because several older players in my league use that shot often and they do it very well. That being said I do often use my 50* around the green to hit lower shots that get rolling quickly instead of trying to get it close to the hole through the air.

Back