Callaway Apex CF 16 Irons Review Thread

What is the difference between an s400 and an x100?

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

I'm not really sure, someone with better knowledge on shafts might answer this question.

The length from the hosel to the first step is shorter in the X100 than it is the S300.

Edit: That's for the DG, not the DG Pro.

Let me first say that I expected my setup to be light weight. I went with DGpro S400s and they felt lighter than my 745s. Now.....the day was cool, crisp and clear.

I have no idea what my yardage are so I guessed on almost every swing and put the swing I thought would produce the yardage I needed. I came up short on a couple and flagged a few others. The clubs aren't magic and respond to what ever action you put on them. I hit loose shots late in the round but I was able to recover. I saw distance like I have not see since I tested my first set of irons on THP. I think I may have to retool my bag.

The only complaint I have is about the AW from the set. I need to figure it out or it will make room for a 50* MD3. Outside of that, I'm very pleased with the maiden voyage.

After hitting my MD3s today I'm considering swapping out the CF 16 AW for an MD3 50º-10 myself. I think it may provide a bit more consistency in the wedge game.

After hitting my MD3s today I'm considering swapping out the CF 16 AW for an MD3 50º-10 myself. I think it may provide a bit more consistency in the wedge game.
That what I did with my org. Apex irons. The A wedge had way to much spin compared to last years 50' tour cally wedge. I had a 25 yd gap due to excessive spin on the A wedge. The tour 50 fixed that.

That what I did with my org. Apex irons. The A wedge had way to much spin compared to last years 50' tour cally wedge. I had a 25 yd gap due to excessive spin on the A wedge. The tour 50 fixed that.

Good to know! The AW is the only club I haven't hit yet so I'll be hitting up Golf Mart tomorrow to straighten this issue out.

Glad to hear your throughts Tadashi on the maiden voyage.

Tadashi,

Any comparisons between the Apex and the Srixon Z745's. I currently game the Z745's and have for over a year but just ordered the Apex CF16's which will arrive tomorrow. I love the Srixon's but I'm now 51 and the Apex with the yardage increase (via GC2) is what I'm interested in. Do you find them consistent in yardages through out the set? Any "Hot" issues? How about the difference in off set between the Srixon's and the Apex?

Sorry to bombard you with the questions. My game is built from 180 in with my 6 iron - PW and hopefully the Apex is the answer. It's been a while since I hit my 7 iron 165-170 but that is what I have seen on the GC2 during my fitting and testing. I always say a 7 iron is easier to hit then a 6 iron (mentally) and picking up an extra club in distance I feel will only help my game as long as they are consistent in gaps without any "hot" issues.

Thanks

Good to know! The AW is the only club I haven't hit yet so I'll be hitting up Golf Mart tomorrow to straighten this issue out.

Make sure to give it a fair shot. It's one of my favorite clubs in the set.

AWESOME wedge!

Seriously one of the most addicting sets I have ever used/played. I was openly a little hesitant when we saw this new iteration of the Apex because the first version was so silly solid. These though really do launch easier for me, which is a constant need of mine, and the cup-face in the long irons is already proven to work. So much fun.

Better yet, they are SO pretty.

Let me first say that I expected my setup to be light weight. I went with DGpro S400s and they felt lighter than my 745s. Now.....the day was cool, crisp and clear.

I have no idea what my yardage are so I guessed on almost every swing and put the swing I thought would produce the yardage I needed. I came up short on a couple and flagged a few others. The clubs aren't magic and respond to what ever action you put on them. I hit loose shots late in the round but I was able to recover. I saw distance like I have not see since I tested my first set of irons on THP. I think I may have to retool my bag.

The only complaint I have is about the AW from the set. I need to figure it out or it will make room for a 50* MD3. Outside of that, I'm very pleased with the maiden voyage.

Hmm I am curious about this AW issue. I have the original Apex Pro's and the gapping from the PW to the AW just seems off to what I was expecting. I have adjusted to it, but now I'm curious as to why the AW seems to be off... especially if the same issue has carried over to the CF16's.

Hmm I am curious about this AW issue. I have the original Apex Pro's and the gapping from the PW to the AW just seems off to what I was expecting. I have adjusted to it, but now I'm curious as to why the AW seems to be off... especially if the same issue has carried over to the CF16's.

Mine blends perfectly. Everyone will be different, only way to know, is to hit them.

I am agreeing with James here. It is my 125 club no issues. Goes directly to the PW at 135. I didn't struggle with the gap in the original set though either.

I am agreeing with James here. It is my 125 club no issues. Goes directly to the PW at 135. I didn't struggle with the gap in the original set though either.

Same here, in either of the past Apex iterations (Pro and non).

Thats great to hear guys, everyone is different.

No doubt. I got a little ahead of myself so I'm going to see how it works for me before I make another change.

Tadashi,

Any comparisons between the Apex and the Srixon Z745's. I currently game the Z745's and have for over a year but just ordered the Apex CF16's which will arrive tomorrow. I love the Srixon's but I'm now 51 and the Apex with the yardage increase (via GC2) is what I'm interested in. Do you find them consistent in yardages through out the set? Any "Hot" issues? How about the difference in off set between the Srixon's and the Apex?

Sorry to bombard you with the questions. My game is built from 180 in with my 6 iron - PW and hopefully the Apex is the answer. It's been a while since I hit my 7 iron 165-170 but that is what I have seen on the GC2 during my fitting and testing. I always say a 7 iron is easier to hit then a 6 iron (mentally) and picking up an extra club in distance I feel will only help my game as long as they are consistent in gaps without any "hot" issues.

Thanks

I don't notice the offset it is very subtle. Yes it's different than the 745s but it's not like it's in the back of my mind. The top line is thicker but again it's not something that sticks in my crawl space.

As far as distances are concerned, I don't know. I hit 3 full shots all day. I scorched all three and got what I sorta of expected. A full 6 iron from 198 to pin high. A 5 iron from 210 off the tee on a par three. The ball landed past pin high and rolled off the back of the green. Full discloser, this was laced on a frozen rope. It's trajectory is what caused the run through. And lastly an 8iron from 162 into what I felt was a one club wind. Over the flag.

All other shots were not all out and I was playing my angles with draws and fades. I did layup on two par 5s with full 7 irons but never checked my yardage but was looking to 100 out. These are longer than my 745s and they were 2 degrees strong. I hope this helps.

Thanks Tadashi,

Sounds great. I'm looking forward to these when they get here tomorrow. Like I mentioned I have played the Z745's for over a year and nothing has been able to kick them out of the bag even though I have tried. lol
I've also contemplated a split set with the Apex in 5, 6 and 7 iron and the Pro's in 7, 8, 9, PW. Did you give that any thoughts when you ordered the Apex?

Thanks

Thanks Tadashi,

Sounds great. I'm looking forward to these when they get here tomorrow. Like I mentioned I have played the Z745's for over a year and nothing has been able to kick them out of the bag even though I have tried. lol
I've also contemplated a split set with the Apex in 5, 6 and 7 iron and the Pro's in 7, 8, 9, PW. Did you give that any thoughts when you ordered the Apex?

Thanks

FWIW, I considered a similar setup when I ordered my Apex CFs but if I remember correctly they take out the cup face tech from 8 down so they're already kind of a combo set and that's why I didn't get any of the pro clubs.

I haven't gotten them I yet so I can't speak at all to how they perform yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was thinking the same as well when I read they do not have the cup face in the 8, 9 and wedge. I hit them for a bit and worse comes to worse I can order the 7-PW in the pros.

Does anyone know if the Apex CF16's are .355 hosels or .370's? I know Callaway use to always use .370's but not sure if they still do.

Does anyone know if the Apex CF16's are .355 hosels or .370's? I know Callaway use to always use .370's but not sure if they still do.
They are 370 and use collared ferrules

They are 370 and use collared ferrules

I figured that. I ordered Recoil 110's from Callaway in mine and didn't know they made the .370 tips. What does "collared ferrules" mean?

It seems like mixing the CF 16s and Pros could cause some gapping issues considering the differences between 8 (35/38), 9 (40/42) and PW (45/46). I'm sure it's been done before, but personally I wouldn't do it.

I figured that. I ordered Recoil 110's from Callaway in mine and didn't know they made the .370 tips. What does "collared ferrules" mean?
a24df62cdd50b39e9847c16f0a793f43.jpg

Back