Stock Market & Retirement Planning

Man the Steel Industry is getting hammered

my old employer AK steel (AKS) is a $6.5B company is down 45% to $2.34 a share. They were $11 a year and a half ago and a crazy $71 a share when I worked there until the recession hit.

US Steel which is like a $18B company is down 66% to $8.27 a share and they were $21 a year and a half ago too.

Both companies heavy with Debt, but they aint going anywhere anytime soon, especially US Steel as they have a ton of cash and solid liquidity.

And as I type this I see AKS is up 3% just today and US Steel is up almost 10% for the day (based on the share prices above).....kinda intrigued

Im actually eyeballing US Steel and said I was going to jump in earlier this week and didnt. I should have.

We are finally at a point that dividends add up quickly. Back in the day, a $12.20 dividend didn't exactly get me excited. Now we have enough shares that the dividend payout is pretty sweet!

Even the little bit makes you smile with how bad we have been getting hammered for a January in the market.

Im actually eyeballing US Steel and said I was going to jump in earlier this week and didnt. I should have.

Even the little bit makes you smile with how bad we have been getting hammered for a January in the market.

I still think sub $10 is a good buy, financially they need to do something with the long term debt and need business to pickup in the emerging markets for business to pick up again. Just seems like both of those arent happening anytime soon, so id be curious to see if it dips down some more in the next few months before ascending more long term ish

I still think sub $10 is a good buy, financially they need to do something with the long term debt and need business to pickup in the emerging markets for business to pick up again. Just seems like both of those arent happening anytime soon, so id be curious to see if it dips down some more in the next few months before ascending more long term ish

I will be following as well.

Also watching Chesapeake Energy at $3.35, was trading over $21+ a share just a year ago. Oil wont stay this low forever.

Man the Steel Industry is getting hammered

my old employer AK steel (AKS) is a $6.5B company is down 45% to $2.34 a share. They were $11 a year and a half ago and a crazy $71 a share when I worked there until the recession hit.

US Steel which is like a $18B company is down 66% to $8.27 a share and they were $21 a year and a half ago too.

Both companies heavy with Debt, but they aint going anywhere anytime soon, especially US Steel as they have a ton of cash and solid liquidity.

And as I type this I see AKS is up 3% just today and US Steel is up almost 10% for the day (based on the share prices above).....kinda intrigued
Cheap Chinese Steel. That changing anytime soon?

Also watching Chesapeake Energy at $3.35, was trading over $21+ a share just a year ago. Oil wont stay this low forever.

CHK just announced more layoffs. The CEO has made some very bad - selfish decisions the past two years. This company is on the verge of BK. Be careful.

DIS posts earnings Monday. I would expect the Star Wars product to have the same effect on DIS as it did MAT. MAT is up almost 30% on earnings.

I have loaded up on some verticals. I only need a $2 bump to be in the black.

DIS posts earnings Monday. I would expect the Star Wars product to have the same effect on DIS as it did MAT. MAT is up almost 30% on earnings.

I have loaded up on some verticals. I only need a $2 bump to be in the black.

I loaded up on DIS earlier in the year when it was lower. Said the same thing pages ago. My fear is the ESPN issue. They are losing subscribers and said so and because of that the stock has not gone where it should. However Star Wars should bring it back with earnings a bit, and then in 2 years when the Star Wars park opens and the even more merchandise goes crazy, I think it hits an all time high.

Chesapeake is natural gas. Is Aubrey McClendon still in charge?
No, he was fired. Has started a new company and is already all. Over the freaking place here in OK.

I would recommend starting your own business...

No, he was fired. Has started a new company and is already all. Over the freaking place here in OK.

I have been seeing it everywhere in the financial stuff too.

Man energy exploration has always been a bit too hit or miss for me. I'm an aggressive investor but so many seem to come up duds in that industry there's so many other plays that are safer.

Another day another decline. Its getting tiresome.
I hope people in power can keep telling me how wonderful everything is.

Another day another decline. Its getting tiresome.
I hope people in power can keep telling me how wonderful everything is.

Don't take stocks to be an indicator of the economy as a whole.

First, oil was way over priced at $100 / barrel and the stocks were bloated. They came back to reality.

Second, a lot of tech stocks are selling at 300x earnings (LNKD).

I feel like a lot of what is happening is a correction. Unfortunately, there are some innocent bystanders caught in the fire. Those bystanders are all a BUY right now if you can identify them.

Also, I read somewhere that people are calling for an end to companies forecasting next quarter earnings when they release earnings. I am always shocked when a company reports better than expected earnings, better than expected growth, and overall good news. But then they say, earnings next quarter may be down 1% from this quarter. And BAM, the stock gets hammered. I'm like WTF, they just blew this quarter out of the water and now they are getting punished. Makes no sense.

Yes and yes to the original question. Started when I was 20 and I highly recommend it. Time and compounding are your friends.

Don't take stocks to be an indicator of the economy as a whole.

First, oil was way over priced at $100 / barrel and the stocks were bloated. They came back to reality.

Second, a lot of tech stocks are selling at 300x earnings (LNKD).

I don't think I did that.

Correction normally doesn't happen In January based on history and due to uncertain times ahead for far too many Americans with rising costs of far too many things, this is the result.

Stop me if you have heard this before.
Market opens and its already almost 300 points down.

Stop me if you have heard this before.
Market opens and its already almost 300 points down.

Should just quote this again as its a daily thing now.

You've got to figure people reenter the market and start picking up bargains pretty soon.

There seems to be a strange human reaction to oil. A couple of years ago the market reacted negatively when oil was super high because of its role in inflation; now the opposite.

You've got to figure people reenter the market and start picking up bargains pretty soon.

There seems to be a strange human reaction to oil. A couple of years ago the market reacted negatively when oil was super high because of its role in inflation; now the opposite.

Possibly. I also think there is a whole lot of uncertainty in this country right now and people are just holding because of it.

yep, got into work, looked and down 224 pts already

My 401k is battered and bruised. :(

Taking the opportunity to buy for my personal account. My work account I don't have as much say in.

Back